JBL E20 rear port speaker against wall - problem?!

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Rob Dawn, Jul 8, 2004.

1. Rob Dawn

Rob Dawn Stunt Coordinator

I just ordered the JBL E20s to use as surround speakers but I was planning on using speaker wall mounts like these to mount them to a wall.

It looks like the speakers will be about 3-4 inches from the wall using these brackets. Also, the speakers will be angled to the side about 45 degrees so the port will not be directly facing the wall.

I'm wondering what are the disadvantages of having a speaker with a rear port mounted to a wall with a speaker wall mount as I described? Is the real problem only if you want the speaker backed up to the wall directly (which I won't have)? Or is there still going to be a degradation in sound with my inteded setup? Should I upgrade the E20s to E30s since their port is in the front?

(Oh, I also ordered the E30s to use as my mains and the EC35 for the center. Totalled $469 with free shipping from J and R. Can't wait for everything to come!)

Thanks,
    Rob

2. Greg-ST

Greg-ST Stunt Coordinator

You'd need at least a foot or so between the port and the wall. Having the port really close will muffle bass output and possibly color the sound in some way before it hits your ears (since there isn't a straight-line path from the port to your ear). I'd go ahead and step them up to the E30's if your budget allows.

3. JamesCB

JamesCB Second Unit

Putting the speaker too close to the wall can color the sound if the port is restricted. I don't understand how there could be a "straight-line path" if the port is on the back of the speaker though. Besides, the bass reinforced by the port is largely non-directional.

James