What's new

JBL E150 Vs. Dayton 10" (1 Viewer)

DorianBryant

Screenwriter
Been looking at these subs. The Prices are fairly equal. I can get the JBL for about $40 more than the dayton. Which one is better?? Which one will have the better sound quality? I use JBL's all the way around and really like the quality but have heard many good things about the Dayton.

Thoughts?

Tim Stumpf

Stunt Coordinator
It's hard to beat the dayton. I have one and I can vouch for it. Never heard the JBL though, but it's not really important to stay in the family of speakers when it comes to subs. I just upgraded to an SVS PC+ but I still plan to use the dayton in another smaller system that I'll use just for music. dayton = good gear.

DorianBryant

Screenwriter
Thanks. I know the JBL has a higher output and uses a digital amp. Still, the Dayton has gotten such good reviews. I currently use an RCA Pro 10" sub which is o.k. but I am hoping is far inferior to either choice.

Anyone use the JBL?

Jimi C

Screenwriter
I upgraded to the Dayton from the KLH 10" and the difference was unbeleiveable. I never realized how sloppy, boomy and muddy the KLH was untill i got my Dayton. I cant say ive compared it to a JBL sub before but imo you cant go wrong eaither way, especially if you are coming from the RCA.

DorianBryant

Screenwriter
I hear you. The sad thing is I bought a KLH sub for my Dad from UBID for 50 shipped and the KLH and RCA were comparable. The RCA had an MSRP of over $200!! How rediculous is that. I paid 70 for it.

Anyway i can get the JBL for 189 delivered or 150 for the Dayton. Not sure how much if any, the JBL would or might be better??

Fred_Krampits

Stunt Coordinator
Dorian:

I have the larger E250P sub and it's a powerhouse. Go to best buy and take a listen to the E150P. It's got a list price of $399 and you can get it for $189 delivered? I would not pass that up.

Tim Stumpf

Stunt Coordinator
One more thing about the dayton. If you have a little patience and monitor their website, they put the 10" on sale for something like $110 every now and then.

DorianBryant

Screenwriter
Yes, not long ago it was down to $98! As for the Velodyne i checked out the stats. How does it compare/perform?

Tod Golden

Stunt Coordinator
Dorian

Just curious. What JBLs are you using? I too have JBLs all around (HLS-610) and am looking to upgrade my sub and was thinking about the Dayton.

Tod

DorianBryant

Screenwriter
Tod,

I have S38II's for fronts, EC35 center, N26 for surrounds, and N24's for surround back speakers. Not exactly matched but I cannot tell. Deal-Stop has the E150 for 155 and only $20 for shipping!

Trying to decide between the Velodyne cht-10 180 shipped, E150 180 shipped, and the Dayton 150 shipped. Not sure. I am leaning towards the JBL as it would give me JBL's all the way around.

Greg-ST

Stunt Coordinator
I have a full JBL setup for the mains (NSP1II package) and I didn't go JBL for the sub. I have the Dayton. It's not necessary to match the sub to the speakers company wise.

In all honesty, go with the Dayton and be done with it :)

Kenneth Harden

Screenwriter
Tod Golden:

SAME HERE!

I have 610's for the mains, and a HLS Cneter. They are in the downstairs system and sound great. Only issue is the tweeters are a little too fragile if something goes wrong. They are $20 from JBL shipped (I bought the center off eBay and the tweeter was blown, so the seller paid for a new one)

DorianBryant

Screenwriter
Have no problem with the Dayton. But, with the MSRP of the Velodyne and the JBL, are they better?

I am looking for the best deal and with the three being equally priced, is the Dayton better?

The JBL list for like 400, the Velodyne 400 and the Dayton 220.

DorianBryant

Screenwriter
Leaning towards the JBL. Digital amp, slightly more power, and would match my current speakers. Joey, $180 delivered is hard to pass up!

Greg-ST

Stunt Coordinator
With the MSRP on Bose products, are they better? It's the same premise. You're falling into the trap.

You want feedback on the Dayton and a good handful of people on here will tell you it's literally the best price/performance sub in the price range (often has no trouble besting subs that cost over twice as much). Keep in mind the Dayton comes direct from the manufacturer, which equals no middle man markup. However, you want to ignore the advice in favor of "average consumer" decisions and conclusions ("It originally costed more, so it must be better" "All the rest of my products come from the one company so I might as well buy this other product from the same company", etc). Subs do not have to be from the same company as your mains. We're not dealing with higher frequencies where differences in driver construction, cabinet construction, and timbre will stand out like a sore thumb between speakers from different manufacturers. About the power issue, don't underestimate the Dayton's 100 watt rating. If its driver is more efficient than the JBL's, the JBL's little bit of extra power it may have will be absolutely moot.

I think if you don't go with the Dayton you're constantly going to be asking yourself, "What if I went with the Dayton?" I saw all the glowing feedback about it, decided to buy it, and haven't looked back.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks