What's new

JBL E 80's, 90's, or 100's (1 Viewer)

ray tubach

Stunt Coordinator
Many thanks to all that helped me previously with many difficult and confusing issues regarding my upcoming HT purchase. As a newbie, upgrading from a miserable HTIB, I am definitely a voice crying out in the wilderness... Initially, all I had listened to was what was available in BB, so I took the suggestions of several people here, and visited a few of the "specialty audio" stores. Even though I was definitely aware of the differences in quality of build and appearance, etc., it was very hard to be certain, in an A/B comparison kind-of-way, which was the better of the brands I had heard from the day before.

I'm certain my hearing is not as refined as most of you here but it seemed that I preferred the sound of the next higher-up speaker, within its own brand line, rather than a comparable speaker from different manufacturer. (Does that make sense???) So I guess I just like a "big" sound??? That brings me back to JBL, E-series, right?

So,,,, my question to anyone who has auditioned the floorstanding speakers in the JBL E-series, would I be better served for 95% 5.1-HT by using the E-80's, 90's, or 100's, ($$ diff. not an issue between these) for front mains, using the EC35 and any combination of rears up to and including the E-50's, but with a "name" brand sub (such as those that generate so much passionate discussion on this forum. 8}}

To refresh the memories of those who have been so patient and helpful in the past, (you know who you are....) I have a 14.5W x 18.5L x 9H room and I must put the main seating against the back wall. I will control this whole system with a Forum favorite, the Pioneer 1014, now that it has become ridiculously cheap ($328 + S&H).

Again, many thanks for all who have taken the time to respond. I can assure you I am hanging on every word you write and consider it earnestly, and I will get back to you all concerning my eventual choice (soon, very soon) and my impressions thereof.

MikeyWeitz

Supporting Actor
Ray, if you have the room and can swing the E100's for mains and the E50 for surrounds. Go get'em.-Get which ones sound best to you.

I chose the E80's as my mains because of $$$ @ the time. I did not notice a HUGE difference between the E80's and 90's, but did notice a big difference between the 60s and 80s.

I luv my e80's, but still have those thoughts of "what if I got the E90's. Now that $$$ is less of an object, I really have those thoughts.

I realy feel you would be quite happy with E90 mains, Ec35 center, 4 E50 surrounds and an SVS sub.

Hell, I am VERY happy with 80 mains, 35 center, e10 & n24 surrounds with a Dayton 10" sub for what I paid for them setup.

BTW, move your sofa 1.5' from back wall, get those E50's and fire them up towards the ceiling (on stands or shelf) just inches below the top of the sofa.

Works very well for me with my N24s.

ray tubach

Stunt Coordinator
Mikey, hi. yeah thanks, but that's just the problem - I don't know which ones sound the best because I have no place to demo the 90's or 100's. or the 30's or 50's.

the greedy, grass-is-greener-on-the-other side of me says if the 80's sound better than the 60's, then the 90's should be better yet, and the 100's must be best of all! right? but due to the law of diminishing returns, I suspect that may not be the case.

I am intrigued by the combination of the 90's (3-way with 3/4", 4", and dual 8") for the mains and the 50's (3-way with 3/4", 4", and single 8") for the surrounds. Not being at all knowledgeable in speaker techie design stuff, would there be any significance to matching driver sizes, or is that completely irrelevant?

By the same token then, would the E30's mesh better with the E 80's? (btw, I don't know WHERE that leaves the e100's with their dual 10" drivers...) I don't know but to the unitiated, it just seems like there might be some underlying coherence or something, whatever.

any ideas from the more knowlegdable? Phil I., you gonna jump in on this?

Gary Shipley

Second Unit
Hi Ray. I have a pair of JBL ND310's,(they are the N series version the E100's)and they rock. If you want "big" sound,I think the E100's will deliver that with no problem. Not only do they sound very good for home theater, you won't be disappointed when listening to music with them. I have not once regretted getting them. So, if it were me getting the speakers, I would get the E100's.

Jeff_Wi

Stunt Coordinator
Does anybody know what the box tuning frequencies are with the E-90 and E-100's?

ray tubach

Stunt Coordinator
I would really go for the 90's and 50s if I were in your shoes :) =================

OK. Why? Have you demoed this combination?

MikeyWeitz

Supporting Actor
I have demo'd the 90's and 50s seperatly.

90's have 8' drivers, the 50 have the same 8' driver.

Other then that, taht's it. If you can swing the 100's go for it. I do not think there wil be that much of a differnce between 90 and 100s when using an SVS sub!

ray tubach

Stunt Coordinator
>>>>>>>>>>>>Does anybody know what the box tuning frequencies are with the E-90 and E-100's?>>>>>>>>>>>>

No Jeff, I don't, and that really has me concerned.

(uhhh, what's that mean??):b

ray tubach

Stunt Coordinator
>>>I have demo'd the 90's and 50s seperatly.

90's have 8' drivers, the 50 have the same 8' driver.

Other then that, taht's it. If you can swing the 100's go for it. I do not think there wil be that much of a differnce between 90 and 100s when using an SVS sub! >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

OK Mikey, that's what I mean. I can swing the 100's. But if there isn't going to be much difference between the 90's and 100's, then why go for it? Or even the 80's, why not stop there? I mean, bigger SEEMS better, but may not always be so, right?

Also, if the smaller speakers, 30's, 20's, or 10's, would make a better surround, I'd like to know that, and why, before I shoot the moon and just order the biggest thing in each category. That's why I'm asking for knowledgable opinions as to the potential for some kind of synergy between different driver sizes or cabinet designs, or whatever. I don't know...

you can see I'm really reaching here, right?

ray tubach

Stunt Coordinator

Hi Gary, thanks for the reply. I really would like to get the big boys but I don't know how they will sound with the volume turned down, versus a smaller speaker. I don't want to have to run the things wide open all the time. Does that make sense?

Gary Shipley

Second Unit
My ND310's sound just as good with the volume down low as well as when opened up to rock the house(if you like to do that on occasion, and who does'nt). But let me clarify, you don't have to rattle the pictures on the wall to make those big boys sound good. Most people here at the forum will tell you this:"what sounds best to you is what you should go with". Thats why I chose what I chose, and you should do the same. Good luck!

ray tubach

Stunt Coordinator
Gary, thanks for your reply. Do you run a sub with your ND310's or is their bass response sufficient? (the E100's are rated down to 33Hz) I will be using this system almost exclusively for HT in a 14.5W x 18.5L x 9H room.

Yes, I understand that I should go with what sounds best but that's just the problem - I don't have anywhere I can audition the E90's, E100's, or even the E30's or E50's. It would be a much simpler matter (and I suppose much less tiring for everyone here) if I did, but I don't so that's why I value your input(s) so much.

many thanks,

Gary Shipley

Second Unit
Yes, I do run a sub with them. Right now its a JBL PB12, but when I can I plan on going with an SVS. The 310's do have a lot of bottom end, but not as much as you can get with a good sub. You should use a sub even with towers of that size so your receiver does'nt have to work so hard to push them. You probably would'nt notice too much difference between the 90's and the 100's. But I think you would between the 80's and the 100's. The 100's have 2 10" drivers,so if you did want to run them without a sub until you could get one, you would still get some pretty good bottom end.But like I said, even with the 2 10's,in the end you should invest in a good sub to go along with the towers.

JerryNO

Auditioning
Ray,

You can find the JBL E250P sub, EC35 center, two E100 towers and two E10 surrounds at bhphotovideo.com I tried to post the absolute URL, but the forum won't let me because I have not made enough posts. They are sold as a set for $1,099.95. Shipping included. No tax. You'll feel good knowing that you got the best JBL Northridge speakers they make. It's exactly what I got early this month in Ash Black. They also have them in Cherry or Birch finish.

You kind of have to drill down through to find them. I'll copy the folder path below, that is, what you would see just below their website logo and menus. That should get you there. Email me privately if you need the absolute URL.

Home < Home Entertainment < Home Audio < Speakers < Speakers & Accessories < Surround Sound Systems

MikeyWeitz

Supporting Actor
Ray already has the link as I posted it several weeks back.

Ray, you are makin this more difficlt then you need to.

ray tubach

Stunt Coordinator

thanks Jerry, I have that link already. I am amazed that this is their everyday price, and the deal on a package is even better than going `ala-carte. thanks for the reply. :emoji_thumbsup:

ray tubach

Stunt Coordinator
No I'm not Mikey, I'm having fun. :)
I admit this may seem like nit-picking to you, and I thank you for all the advice you've given me. I found it very useful in narrowing down my choice but I am interested in learning more, technically, about this and if people with more technical knowledge than I have are willing to discuss it, I'm willing to ask questions.

To me, it's fascinating, the interactivity of the different size drivers and cabinets and sonic architecture, and how it affects the overall sound within its particular environment. I'm quite sure that whatever "package" I end up with will be more than satisfactory for my ears, because Phil Ituralde has assured me that ALL of the E-series will integrate seamlessly, but I just like knowing all there is to know about things.

Anyway, if the truth were to be told, I could easily financially afford a system several multiples of times whatever the biggest package could be made with JBL components, but that's not my intent here. To me, the chase is the hunt. the kill (actually making a purchase) will be anticlimatic to the investigation process. I'm sorry if I've made you feel like you've wasted your time replying to me. I have certainly considered it very valuable and thank you sincerely.

MikeyWeitz

Supporting Actor
Def no waste of time and I am glad to offer my opinion. The problem is, until you try each and every possible combo in your room with your receiver, you will never REALLY know what the best combo will be. Everyone here can have their opinions. If 10 of us listened to all of the JBL combos in "your" room, we would have 12 different opnions on what we thought sounded best. The bottom line is what sounds best to you.
The only way to find out is demo all of them in your room.
Since this is probably not feasible, the only thing to do is start with the most expensive since $$ isn't too much of a concern for you with this project. Then work down from their if not happy :)

JerryNO

Auditioning
Hi Ray,

Go for the JBL cousin setup then. It costs four times as much, but if money is not a consideration, I'm sure you'll get better performance. They look nice too.

They won't let me post a URL yet, but perhaps if I strip off the h**p, it'll get through. Very encouraging review. I suppose you've already had a look at it too!

h**p://w*w.hometheaterhifi.com/volume_12_1/infinity-beta-speakers-2-2005-part-1.html

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks