JBL Drivers

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dave Moritz, Apr 12, 2002.

1. Dave Moritz

Dave Moritz Producer
    Supporter

Dave Moritz
    I am hoping someone knows of a good place to buy JBL drivers. Am looking for 12" for surround cabnets and 18" or 24" sub woofers for a sub. As well as horns and the HF drivers for the horns. My goal is to build my own home versions of what theaters are using in there big rooms. Dual 12" woofers and a horn. And I want 18" sub minimum.

2. Richard Burzynski

Richard Burzynski Second Unit

Dave:

Go to JBL's website and record all driver model #'s that you're interested in. Then type those model #'s into google and you'll get a bunch of hits. I researched a JBL 18"-er that way a few months back. Also, keep us up to date with your project, I'd really like to know how they turn out.

Good Luck.

Rich B.

3. Dave Moritz

Dave Moritz Producer
    Supporter

Dave Moritz
    Sure will Richard thanks for the advice will check JBL site. Will hopefully have the finished system's pictures on a web site for everyone to see.

4. Tom Brennan

Tom Brennan Screenwriter

Dave--Jammin Jersey is a prosound dealer that sells used JBL drivers at fair prices and they've a good reputation. www.jamminjersey.com Try the older compression drivers and woofers, they're cheaper than new ones and sound just as good. Plus the old Alnico magnet drivers look very cool. You can research drivers at the JBL Pro site, including those drivers no longer made. For a history of Altec and JBL and of James Lansing go to www.audioheritage.org This site also has many old catalogs and lots of product info, also a message board where JBL freaks hang. Another place to talk with JBL fans and other hornies is the high-efficiency forum at www.audioasylum.com Here's what I'd do. Put 2205 15" woofers in 4560 cabinets. At 500 hz crossover to 2420 compression driver on Altec 511B horns (the Altec horns sound better than any JBL ones IMO). Check out my horn website, click on www icon above. You'll see how I use JBL and Altec theater speakers in my HT.

5. Dave Moritz

Dave Moritz Producer
    Supporter

Dave Moritz
    Tom -- Thanks for the good information, really cool. You should see the Altec Voice of the Theater cabnet I am currently running. They need alittle TLC, one of the HF drivers needs a new diaphram. And I need to refinish the cabnets and have new decals made up. They have a Altec 15" Woofer and a Gause 15" woofer. With a Renkin Heinz driver on a Altec horn. I have a picture if interested in seeing it ? Will check out the sites you mentioned. Thank You

6. Mike__D

Mike__D Supporting Actor

Dave,

You can also purchase driver's directly from JBL's website. I was there the other day, and discovered I could get replacement drivers for all my JBL speakers (N-series). I assume the same is true for their higher-end models.

Mike D.

7. Tom Brennan

Tom Brennan Screenwriter

Dave---Sure, e-mail me the pictures. I love the old 825 VOT cabinets, I'm now using a pair that I had custom made of Baltic birch, using Altec 515B woofs in them which makes them A5s. Best upper bass and lower mids I ever heard. Top end is JBL 2420s on round wooden Edgar "saladbowl" tractrix horns. For VOT decals try Total Audio at www.voiceofthetheatre.com

8. Dave Moritz

Dave Moritz Producer
    Supporter

Dave Moritz
    Hello Tom Brennan
    The email option on this site does not let me attach photos. Contact me at [email protected] and I will reply and send you the pic of my Altecs not sure what model they are for shure but I think they where made in early 80's. At least they look like a pair pictured in a brocure on the site you sent me. Thank you for the link.
    Dave M.