What's new

JBL decision - comments please (1 Viewer)

CarterT

Grip
I sold my house with the audio/video equipment - JBL 4425's (LF/RF), 4412 (center) and smaller JBL, LB/RB surround (not sure what model) all driven with seperate amps (lots of power). Used an Audio Pro (not sure of the model but it was big and had two 8" subs) for HT use. I listened to music a lot and I liked the punch and clarity in the JBL's for loud music.

Now I am moving to a much smaller house/media room and have been reading the threads. I am now using the NSP1II in the temporary rental house until the move.

New room will be 15' X 22' (listening zone 15' X 15'). Surrounds would have to be on the floor or mounted above a window (about 6.5' up). Will use a Kenwood VR- 6070 and probably adding separate amp for LF/RF. Planning on an SVS or equivalent sub.

So my question (finally):
1. To go with 3 pairs of s38's
2. S38's LR/RF/CF and N24's for LB/RB/CB
3. S38's LR/RF, S-Center and S26's LB/RB/CB
Or, insert endless other options here...

I would be interested in feedback from those that have used the S38 for a center and/or done a side-by-side comparison to the S-Center. I like the HT center vocals/dialogue in HT to be on the bright side rather than too flat.

I am sure I left out some pertinent detail but looking forward to the comments.

Thanks for the help. I am really enjoying this forum.

DonnyD

Screenwriter
Personally, I think you're gonna have a hard time changing from those large JBL monsters to anything else.... I have owned some L100 JBL since 1978 and over the years have spent lots and lots (won't say how much due to this puter being used by SO also...LOL) on several top brands of speakers, never to find something that was able to push those old 100's out of their place as my mains....
I've also bought several centers and ended up with a S-Center and with a little eq-ing, got it to blend nicely with the old L's......I set up my brothers S38 setup with a S-Center and it was a nice blend although I do feel the S-Center has a clearer mid/highend response.
I ,too, enjoy the punch and clarity of older/large JBL's. Turn'em up! They beg for it!

Shaun Graham

Agent
I have setup 3, minus a rear center channel, and I love 'em. I haven't tried the S38s as center, so I can't comment, but the S-Center is a great speaker. But unless you know something I don't, I think you'll have some real trouble finding any of these speakers..they're all discontinued. You might have to wait until later this year when JBL releases their new line of Studio speakers (a yet undetermined date).

Jimi C

Screenwriter
Carter, i know this dosnt help you, but i also have a kenwood 6070 and have been toying with the idea of a seperate 2 channel amp for my mains, what were you planning on going with? im just curious.

CarterT

Grip
"Carter, i know this dosnt help you, but i also have a kenwood 6070 and have been toying with the idea of a seperate 2 channel amp for my mains, what were you planning on going with? im just curious."

I managed to hold onto an old NAD power amp. I think it is a 300W "Power Envelope", whatever that means.

Also, I agree with DonnyD. "Personally, I think you're gonna have a hard time changing from those large JBL monsters to anything else.... " For now as a comprimise I think I will purchase a pair of S312's for fronts, maybe an S-Center, S26 or S38 for center and use the N24's for LB/RB/CB and then evaluate the need for changes.

Any further comments welcomed.

John Tami

Stunt Coordinator
I'm running "3" S26II's for my front stage, and "2" S36IIPM's as my wall mounted surrounds. For the moment I am only running them with a very underpowered HTB DVD/Receiver....but even with it, I can get to way over WAF levels! :D

In all reality I'm very impressed. I have them matched with a SVS 20-39PCi and in my music (From Rock to Classical..and tons of Zep, PF, Black Sabbath Bootlegs!) and of coure HT it is awesome! The surrounds are very crisp and clean...things like LOTR (Arrows flying) and Harry Potter (Quiditch balls) they really come alive. I went with a S26II for a center as I have some secondary off axis seating (large family) and was concerned about reflected waves. It is a tall beast though sitting on top of my 55" RP HDTV. :D

I cant wait till this summer when my planned receiver comes out....that will really wake them up! (Pioneer VSX-1014)

Robert James Clark

Second Unit
I have tried doing just what you'r considering: using a S38II as a center channel speaker to match 5 other S38's for perfect matching all the way around.

I was not as pleased as I had hoped with the results. It did not do a great job with center channel material such as voices (naturally), at least with where I have my center channel mounted (low, under my projection screen).

I switched to using an SCenter and it has much better sound quality with dialog and still is a great sonic match.

YMMV...

DorianBryant

Screenwriter
Did you get your S center recently? I was going to try the S38 for the center as well. Of course when I went to order another pair from HK, they were gone!! They were selling refurbs just last week.

Oh well...I will find one sooner or later. I have an N center with my 2 front S38 but would like to find the matching center. Hopefully when the new studio line comes out more people will be looking to upgrade.

Robert James Clark

Second Unit
I bought mine a while ago. Since the remaining SCenter and and the S38's are not long for this world, grab 'em while you can.

I have an extra SCenter I'll be selling in a few weeks, keep your eye on the Hardware for sale section... :)

fraula

Auditioning
Hello CarterT, I know that you had the 4412 before, could you tell me if you prefer the S312 over the 4412?... it is because i am planning to buy the "4412" or "4312MkII" or even the "L100"...
Thank you for your help! Fred,

(Sorry for my bad english)

fraula

Auditioning
Sorry, i just realize that you do not hat the S312... but if you already hear the S312 maybe you could tell me what you think compare to the 4412?!...

Regards, Fred,

CarterT

Grip
fraula, it is tough for me to compare them since I previously only used the 4412 as a center with a pair of 4425's for fronts, and a different amps/pre-amp setup. I am now using the S312II for the fronts and an Scenter. Both the 4412 and S312 will handle a lot of power and sound very clear/crisp at high volumes. As you probably already know, the S312 is much taller and cost (me) a lot less. I can only say I enjoy both the 4412 and the S312 for what I listen to and how I listen to it. Good luck with your choice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks