JBL Concerns...

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by johnny-t, Sep 15, 2003.

1. johnny-t

johnny-t Auditioning

Well, I finally plunged into the JBL market (with 2 feet).

Got the ND310IIs up front with N24IIs for the surround and an S-CentreII along with the PB12 for good measure. All of these items were clearance and the 310s and PB 12 were display models. I got the entire set for $820+ tax

After reading through a couple older threads, I am now marginally concerned about a few issues I hope you guys can address:

1. Should I return the S-Center II for an N-Center for compatability reasons (it will also save me apx. 70 bucks)?

2. Seems like the PB12 is not that reliable, but it was only $250. Worth taking a flyer on?

3. Yes, those 310s ARE huge, and in the store, I'd have to say the N38s sounded as good. I just figured it only cost 40 extra bucks for the 310s. Was it worth it?

Thanks!,
    John

2. DonnyD

DonnyD Screenwriter

First, I'll reply to the quality question concerning the JBL subs. I had one of the early ones that a lot of people seemed to have trouble with but mine never faltered. I had it a couple of years and sold it to a friend who still has it and it pounds often. Another friend bought one of the more recent 12" 'ers last year and has had no problems.
    Personally, I would not be overly concerned about your sub.

Onto timbre matching. Yes, while it is "recommended" that your fronts be of the same type build, I am one who believes it is not that big of a deal until you get really way off in timbre. While the N-center would be a better "perfect" match, the S-center is certainly a better center. I've had a S-center for several years alongside some old JBL L100 as mains.... and although they're not a perfect match, there's not a problem either.

What sounds good to you is what counts. After getting used to the S-center, you may find yourself unhappy downgrading to anything else.

That being said, I set up my brothers Ht using just the opposite of what you have.... we used the S-38 for mains and the N-Center. That, too ,sounded good to me.

All that being said.... there are those who will swear by matched speakers and timbre matching. I do agree somewhat but after being in ht for about 13 years now, perhaps my ears are just not sophisticated enough to pick out the difference.

If I were you, I'd stick with the S-center as it is really the most important speaker in an HT system and you want it to be a good one.....but just remember my sig...LOL

3. Angelo.M

Angelo.M Producer

4. Gary Shipley

Gary Shipley Second Unit

I also have a pair of ND-310's,an S-Center, and a PB12. I've used the entire system heavily for almost 2 years and have had NO problems with anything. I like using the S-Center because its a little brighter than the N-Center. It allows the dialogue to be heard like its supposed to be. Keep what you've got!

5. johnny-t

johnny-t Auditioning

Thanks Gary!

Any idea what you paid for that 2 years ago? Also, what receiver do you have driving it?

6. John Pine

John Pine Supporting Actor

John Pine
    johnny-t: Keep the S-Center at all costs! It's one of the best center channels' available in this price range. After you have had the S-Center for a week, you won't be happy with an N-Center. Just for the record, I have S310's, S-Center, S36's(rears), Velodyne CHT-12 and a Yami RX-V530.

7. Gary Shipley

Gary Shipley Second Unit

I paid $600 for the pair of 310's at Best Buy 2-3 years ago. A few months later I found them online WAAY cheaper. Oh well, live and learn. My reciever is a Kenwood VR-4080. 110 watts per channel. Its about 3 years old and I love it. By the way, my back surrounds are Polk FX-I30's(bi-pole/dipole) which are between my first and second row of seats.