What's new

JBL changes in Studio Series???? (1 Viewer)

KyleGS

Second Unit
I currently have the original S-Center. I have had it around 2 years. Here's a picture: My S-Center -- Now I want to buy the S38's to timbre match with these but I can only find a good deal on the II series that are silver. They won't match cosmetically!! But will they match timbre? Here's a pic of the new S38: New Silver S38II --- This makes me mad that they will not match!!!
BY THE WAY- what are the differences? ANY at all?

Phil Iturralde

Screenwriter
BY THE WAY- what are the differences? ANY at all?
The official word is that the changes are mostly cosmetic; driver cone finish, extra tweeter protection, slightly altered enclosure dimensions on some models. So, if you compared the spec's of the S38 II vs. the orginal S38, you'll see that it is identical and so, it should be "timbre-matched".
Call or email Dirt Cheap Audio Video to see if they have the original JBL S-38 3-Way, 8" Horizontal Mirror-Image Monitor -Black (Pair) - $269.90 in stock.
A quick Yahoo shopping Link Removed still list the original Black S38 on sale - check it out! Before ordering, make sure your review the Merchant Rating System for the particular webstore.
Hope you find one!
Phil

KyleGS

Second Unit
Thanks Phil- that's what I thought. If its just cosmetic then I will not worry about it. I don't want any extra tweeter protection anyway- that usually means more power robbing components in the passive xovers. Now if they did a few things to IMPROVE the sound of the speaker I would consider just getting the V. II's. Anyone know specifically what the changes were to the S38's?

MikeKaz

Stunt Coordinator
the only information about these speakers comes from a couple press releases.
this is the link to the entire thing- http://www.dba-pr.com/clients/jbl/releases/studio2.htm
the one big thing they say is about the tweeters:
"The Studio Series Mark II tweeters feature JBL's latest pure-titanium drivers, which have a dome formed from a single, lightweight, rigid titanium sheet and a new flexible surround for exceptional transient response and clarity with accurate reproduction of high frequencies up to 27kHz." its seems to be a tradition for speaker manufacturers to round their high frequency response off to numbers like 20,000 or 22,000 regardless of the actual specific output of the speakers. when i measured my s38s rated to 20,000 I got response much higher than that, so i bet these new ones do go even higher even though the specs show the old numbers probably out of convienence for merchants selling them.
i would say they would absolutely be matched to the old s-center, and there's some things that are just better about them, so why not get them especially if theyre the same price as the old one. other changes they list are to the bass ports which were most likely redesigned because of the bose lawsuit, and they have better looking wood finishes and are better looking speakers overall. there's really no reason not to get them, theyre just like the old ones- only a little better. im considering replacing my old model s38's for the new ones.
and i beleive the protection to the tweeter he was talking about was them pyhsically putting three plastic bars in front of the tweeter instead of one.

Phil Iturralde

Screenwriter
Hey MikeKaz, guess what?? What you quoted is virtually identical to what was in the original http://www.dba-pr.com/clients/jbl/releases/studio.htm
vs. the Mark II
l109S38ii.jpeg
JBL Website has been updated with the "N" & "S" Mark II Series INFO - here the STUDIO™ SERIES – S38II SPECIFICATIONS
Phil

David_Rivshin

Second Unit
Has anyone seen an S38II in person? The original S38 looked great to me in pictures, but when I saw one up close I noticed that the wood finish just looked disgusting to me. I'm hoping that the markII's have a much nicer (smoother) finish to them.
Also, anyone else notice the new studio series subwoofer? The S120PII? I don't recall there being a non-markII version, and JBL doesn't have any manuals etc for an older version either. The specs on this sub look pretty good, very similar to AR's discontinued S300 subwoofer. Retail is listed as $800, but if the other studio speakers are any indication it should street for about $400. If it lives up to my expectations it might just be the price/performance leader at the $400 price point. Of course it's up in the air until someone reviews it, where's TN when you need him? :)
-- Dave

Phil Iturralde

Screenwriter
FYI: Here's dba newsline 8 January 2002 JBL Product Announcement - JBL EXPANDS STUDIO™ SERIES MARK II LOUDSPEAKER LINEUP WITH INTRODUCTION OF S120PII POWERED SUBWOOFER
NOTE: In the Product Announcement but not in the JBL Spec's webpage
The Studio Series S120PII subwoofer features JBL's Class-D digital-amplifier technology, which uses digital-switching amplifier technology for exceptionally high power output with high efficiency and dramatically reduced distortion.

David King

Stunt Coordinator
ecost.com still has 1pr left as of this posting ($259.95). They offer free shipping on orders over $500 and less than 100lbs. They do charge an extra small handling fee.

I ordered my s38 there just a few days ago along with the panny rp91 dvd player (now Out of stock) and received free shipping. Got both for $704 after handling but before 1% back through e bates.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks