JBL Center speeker question

Joe45

Auditioning
Real Name
Joe
Hello all,

I currently have two JBL ND 310 front speakers and an N-Center 2 way center channel. I am looking to replace the center channel, but want to make sure everything is matched up. I am very happy with the ND 310's and don't want to replace them. I am considering the JBL EC35, which I believe is now discontinued but still available. These are both from the Northridge series, but different divisions of the series. My question is will they still match up fine, or is there a better option for a center channel?

Thanks,

Joe

Gary Shipley

Second Unit
Hi Joe. If the EC35 is available to you it should work fine since it was basically a replacement to the NCenter. I also have a set of ND310's but I'm running an SCenter with them. I wanted a little more punch for dialogue and it works just fine with the 310's.

Joe45

Auditioning
Real Name
Joe
Thanks for the help Gary. I looked and couldn't find the S-center anywhere, so I think I'll be going with the EC35. How do you like the 310's?

Gary Shipley

Second Unit
You won't be able to find the S-series as they were discontinued about 3-4 yrs ago, unless you look on e-bay. As far as the 310's go, I love them! I have listened to more expensive towers, then gone home and listened to the 310's and just smiled. To me they sound just as good as some of the higher priced speakers. Let me know how you like the EC35 after trying it out. I don't think you'll be disappointed.

chuckg

Supporting Actor
I have JBL s-38s, and once had an S-center to go with. My impression of the S-center was not very flattering, and so I replaced it with a pair of S-38s. The imaging is so good with these things that it seems just like one speaker in the center, instead of two off to the sides. I now have six S38 speakers, so I have identical cabinets all around my 5.1 setup.

Maybe you could get a pair of the 310s and follow my phantom lead. Or, just get a single 310 and put it on center some way??

DorianBryant

Screenwriter
The S center has "4 mid and a 1" full titanium tweeter while the EC35 has a 3/4 titanium laminate tweeter and a 3" mid. The S center is routinely on E-bay for about the same price as the EC35. The S center has a better tweet and mid but does have the plastic molded cabinet. The EC35 will be a better match than the N center.

I had some S38II's and regret the day I sold them. They are far better than any of the E or new venue, stadium, whatever you call them series.

Joe45

Auditioning
Real Name
Joe
Thanks for the help guys. Chuck.. the ND 310s are HUGE tower speakers with dual 10 inch woofers. Not a very practical way to put them as a center... I barely have room for two of them, but I like the idea. I think I will go with the E 35 and I'll let you know how it works out.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gullfo