JBL Center N-Center kinda crackly??

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Christopher Chung, Sep 6, 2001.

1. Christopher Chung

Christopher Chung Stunt Coordinator

How ya guys doin?
    Well I was playing some video games, and watching some tv when I noticed the center channel starting to sound crackly, (distorted?) at high frequencies or loud "cymbal type" highs. I'm wondering what this is being caused from? Is it my use of regular RCA cables? Did I mess up the settings from my reciever? OR WORSE, is the speaker damaged?
    I'm at a loss since I can't firgure out what could be causing this to happen. Any help would be tremendous!!!
    Thanks,
    Chris

2. Christopher Chung

Hey Sean, how's it going?
    Well, I never notice it while playing DVD's, but only notice it during games, or TV (both in Dolby Pro Logic). That's why I'm thinking it could be the RCA cables, BUT then today I was playing a new music DVD I just bought and heard (or thought I did) some slight crackling; I don't know, could be that I'm just paranoid.
    But for the most part, not heard on DVD's with the optical TOS link.
    Chris

3. Christopher Chung

So where ya movin to Sean? Outta OC? haha
    Hmmm, well from what you're saying, I think it could be a bad cable somewhere. I have also heard the tweets on the NSP-1's are sturdy, and I never hear the crackling on DD or DTS. I guess I'll go out tomorrow and buy some better cables or something.
    I didn't get this sweet package from Best Buy, but rather from an online store for only $288 shipped! Anyways, I'll let you know what happens when I swap the cables, that is, if you're interested hahaha [​IMG]
    Chris

4. Chris Rock

Chris Rock Supporting Actor

Last night, while watching a rented copy of Exit Wounds, my JBL N-Center sounded a little "crackly" in one specific place:
    Near the end of the movie, during the showdown at the dry cleaning place, there was a very very slight "distortion" during some of the dialogue. You could hear it mainly on "s" words (NOT SWORDS, MR. CONNERY - :bg [​IMG] during the "shouting match" between Segal and the crooked cops. I hope I haven't spoiled the movie for you. HAR!
    It was only noticeable a couple of times.
    I have the DVD player connected to the receiver via TOSlink. I have the center speaker wired to the receiver with a 6 foot run of 16 gauge wire with a Banana clip on the receiver end. I've got no banana clip on the speaker end.
    I've never noticed this before, and I didn't notice it at any other place in the movie. I guess it's possible that it's a flaw in the movie soundtrack.
    Anyone else notice this. I've not had a single problem with this speaker. Got it from Best Buy. I have N-26's for my mains.
    ------------------
    "You advance yourself only by my good graces."

5. MikeEckman

MikeEckman Screenwriter

I know this wont help you, but I have the JBL S-center, which is the line up from the N-center, and Ive never once had any crackling. That thing has gotten alot of use from my setup and no matter how loud I play my movies, Ive never had a problem.

6. Kwang Suh

Kwang Suh Supporting Actor

Many DVDs have some crackling in them. Galaxy Quest DD has a ton of dialog crackling.
    Many video games use fairly low sampling rates for sounds and dialog. This introduces artifacts such as crackling.
    The more accurate your speaker is, the more evident the crackling will be.

7. David Ebbert

David Ebbert Extra

I have the JBL N-Center and have never noticed any problems while watching a movie or listening to music.
    The only exception to this rule is when I'm playing a movie with Jeff Goldblum in it. His voice is not very ear-friendly.
    With music I don't even use the center. I just use 2-channel + the sub.
    I also don't play video games.

8. Kwang Suh

9. Barry_B_B

Barry_B_B Second Unit

quote:
    __________________________________________________ __________
    I think Chris Rock and Kwang have made some good observations regarding video games and some DVD's having occasional crackling.
    __________________________________________________ __________
    I don't have the JBL center YET (getting the S )but I agree some DVD's have a lot of voice cracking. Specifically for me, Star Trek II [​IMG] Most others I have don't have this problem.

10. Christopher Chung

Hey thanks to all for the posts!
    Hey Sean, that's awsome to have a whole guest house dedicated to home theater!! Wish I could have that!
    Anyways, I was too busy to go get some new RCA cables, but after reading about other people's "crackly" experiences I decided to review some DVD's more carefully.
    I watched a movie with a scene of a loud airplane passing over head and decied to run it through the two channel mode. Well, I did hear the slight crackling in the two fronts like I did in the center. So this leads me to believe that the soundtrack was just recorded that way. Like Kwang said, the more accurate your speakers are, the more evident the crackling will be; and I highly doubt the JBL's are anything less.
    I guess I just hear them more now since I was worrying about whether my center had anything wrong with it, but now I guess I should just chill out! [​IMG]
    Anyways, thanks again for the posts! And Sean, hope all the moving goes smoothly; I hate moving! It kills my back! haha [​IMG]
    Chris

11. Christopher Chung

Well, because of my limited DVD collection, I don't know of any absolutely "clean" audio tracks, could you list some for me to check out, any particular scenes?
    Well, I have the Sony STR DE945 and it's pretty new.
    That's cool about your new HT. My HT is just inside my bed room which is about 11x15, along with all my clutter and my bed, it can be a bit cramped, but I still love it!
    Chris

12. Christopher Chung

Yeah, I'm a young'n in this HT community! I'm going to Fullerton College right now so I save some cash by living at home, but this may be my last year before having to move out since I'm going to be transfering. Anyways, as long as I'm running my system during the day, nobody will say anything so I'm thankful for that. Sometimes though, I get a little carried away and watch some movies at night, oh well.
    Hey thanks Sean, I'll go check out one of those DVD's and see if any crackling comes up, though I now doubt it will. Oh yeah, my reciever does have DTS.
    Chris

13. Christopher Chung

Well, I'm majoring in Graphic Design and I think I'm going to be transfering to UCLA. That's what I'm shooting for, but I hear Cal State Long Beach, Cal State Fullerton, or Cal Poly Pomona are better in graphics. I'm going to tour some campuses later before I make the decision, so I'm not set on any one college. UCLA would be great though since I can get that full "college experience".
    hahaha, this has turned into a chat rather than a forum for hardware!
    Chris

14. Kwang Suh

T2: UE has some terrible crackle during the helicopter scene in DTS mode. TS1 has just terrible crackle everywhere. Fantasia 2000 DTS has horrible crackle during the butterfly scene. Blade Runner has some crackle during the scene where Decker is talking to his boss just before he accepts the assignment.
    Overall, I find that Paramount and Columbia usually have tracks with no or very little crackle in them. Disney and Warner and DVDs have more than the average, it seems.

15. Kwang Suh

Once you notice it, it'll drive you nuts, so it's good that it doesn't affect you [​IMG]
    I should replace Warner with Columbia. That's what I get for posting this late.