JBL 940's for HT?

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by DorianBryant, Feb 7, 2005.

1. DorianBryant

DorianBryant Screenwriter

Anyone ever heard these? They are a 4 way speaker from the 80's. 1" tweet, 5" mid, 8" mid-woofer, and 10" woofer. I have a deal for one really nice pr. and another pr. which needs work. Basically, I can use three of them right off for my mains and center. To me this makes better sense than to use for for mians and surrounds.

Wondering if anyone has heard these before?

2. Guy Usher

Guy Usher Supporting Actor

I was using the 630T for rears (same line) great speaker. . . Mine were 4ohm but caused no trouble. . .

3. MikeyWeitz

MikeyWeitz Supporting Actor

DB, I KNOW you have been in the game long enough to know u just have to try them to see if you like them :)

They certainly sound interesting. luv to hear your thoughts on them.

4. Eric Ha

Eric Ha Stunt Coordinator

Had a pair in the 80's, loved 'em then. Also had 830's. I think they'd be great for HT. Make sure you get a center that has a similar tweeter sound.

5. DorianBryant

DorianBryant Screenwriter

I am picking them up today. It is a trade which will cost me about $240 cash value. One pr. is supposed to be close to mint while the other needs a 8" mid-woofer and a 10" woofer. From JBL they are about $170 for both new-ouch!

Trying to find a reconing kit. Still to have 3 is ideal anyway. Mains and center. I thought of using another EC35 for the center as it uses a titanium laminate tweeter as well but it will probably work better with the three front a perfect match and the surrounds a close match. Although i found a pr. of the bookshelves from the same series for $45.

I also went to www.audoheritage.org and founfd a guy who uses them in his HT set-up. He praises them They must perform as well as the E90's and E100's. They have a 1" titanium lam tweet, 5" treated mid, 8" mid woof, and 10" woofer. They are about 43" tall and weigh about 65 pounds. I have come across several pr. of vintage speakers lately. Fun to work on and cheap-keeps me in somewhat good standing with the wife!

Mikey-Are you kidding!? You know how the anticipation is-painful! I made the deal last Thursday and have had to wait until today.

They will work for the basement HT if I ever get it finished.[​IMG]