What's new

Jazz suggestions? (1 Viewer)

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
Ive recently found a liking in Jazz...

Ive liked Norah Jones for awhile now, but i dont know much in terms of other jazz artists. One night a few days ago while driving, i flipped to a radio station that was playing all sorts of jazz and the like, and i enjoyed it.

Anybody suggest any good jazz, maybe similar to Norah Jones style?

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
Check out Jane Monheit. She has released at least 3 CDs and has a very nice voice similar to Norah Jones. I also recommend Patricia Barber.

John Watson

Screenwriter
Nick, check out samplers, there's tons of them, and they're good value.

And look at the Jazz Club thread here, where there is a lot of knowledgable discussion by guys like Mike Broadman

Was just going to give you a link, but the Search function seems to be down...:frowning:

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
When you listen to it on the radio, make sure you hear the DJs announce the artists, song, album, etc. This is a good way of racking up a list of artists to explore. Also, you can use that to find similar artists on web sites like allmusic.com or this forum.

wbgo.org, the NY public jazz station, has an internet feed. Check it out.

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
I'm always full of suggestions, eh?;) There's only one Norah Jones but if it's female jazz singers thou desireth, how 'bout:

Christy Baron, try her Chesky hybrid that features many rock songs made into jazz. Intresting album, she covers The Zombies, Heatwave, Prince, Classics Four (Atlanta Rhythm Section by another older name), and others... Me thinks it's a good album for aqquiring a taste for jazz, sort'a...?

Jacintha's latest album, JACINTHA IS HER NAME, is nice. It features a jazz version of The Doors LIGHT MY FIRE. Instead of heavy organ you get a flute part.

Cassandra Wilson is a happening jazz singer IMO. I'm partial to BLUE LIGHT 'TIL DAWN. Her version of Van Morrison's TUPELO HONEY is a knockout. The title song is terrific too. Her other albums are purr-dy good too!

An intresting album of instrumental jazz that's a bit pop-ish is Monnty Alexander's MONTY MEETS SLY AND ROBBIE. It's got Herbie Hancock's CHAMELEON and Ramsey Lewis' THE IN CROWD. Me thinks there's better jazz singers out there than Norah. Have fun finding her/them?!? Best wishes! :)

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
I wouldn't even classify Norah as a jazz singer (and by many accounts, her new album supports my point). I like her, too, but her music is more pop with a "jazzy" bent.

Cassandra Wilson is by far my favorite contemporary jazz singer, though she has become very eclectic as well, covering tunes by Dylan, Miles (a whole album!), Robert Johnson, Van Morrison, The Band, as well as her own material.

Lizz Wright is a new voice that I'm in love with. Her version of John Coltrane's Afro Blue is devine (and repeated thanks to HTF members for helping me identifying her).

For real jazz singing, though, you can't do better than Ella Fitzgerald, Sarah Vaughan, and Billie Holiday.

Jim J

Second Unit
I'll make a strong second to listen to wbgo

Not only do they play a very wide variety of artists, styles, what-have-you, there is also very little repetition.

The only thing I'll caution is that it is a public radio station. they have a fund drive running to 2/13. So there is a little less music played.

Meindert

Grip
This weekend I picked up DINAH WASHINGTON - What a diff'rence a day makes (SACD stereo) . Very nice voice !!
I'm new to jazz as well.., I started with Miles Davis- KIND of BLUE (SACD), John Coltrane- BLUE TRAIN GETZ/GILBERTO- Stan Getz Joao Gilberto, this disc is one of the desert island discs of VERVE. Nice collection to check out!

Richard Travale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Travale
Hey Nick, check out this station KPLU . It's based out of Tacoma and they play a good selection of stuff. Also check out After Hours on CBC radio between 10:00 & 12:00 on weeknights.

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
Thanks guys... that radiostation from NY requires Realplayer to play the streams... I hate realplayer... ill check out the one in tacoma...

Yeah, i was listening to AfterHours on CBCRadio when i was driving and foudn the jazz radio station. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks