Jazz on a Summer's Day

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Lino Reno, Jun 24, 2004.

1. Lino Reno

Lino Reno Stunt Coordinator

Can anyone please tell me what are the main differences between the US and UK disks of this wonderful documentary?

I have the UK one, and upon seeing the making of contained on its DVD, I was disapointed to see that the concert footage used to ilustrate it was of superior quality than the actual feature itself!!! If they had better elements to use, why didn't they?!

Is the US disk identical in this respect?

2. Lino Reno

Can anyone please tell me what are the main differences between the US and UK disks of this wonderful documentary?

I have the UK one, and upon seeing the making of contained on its DVD, I was disapointed to see that the concert footage used to ilustrate it was of superior quality than the actual feature itself!!! If they had better elements to use, why didn't they?!

Is the US disk identical in this respect?

3. Rich Malloy

Rich Malloy Producer

I dunno, Lino, as I haven't seen the UK version. The US New Yorker release is sub-par picture-wise, but actually fairly good for New Yorker. Considering some of their poorer offerings, I was a bit relieved when I saw the decent picture quality. But, at best, it's only "decent".

However, there's a problem with the 5.1 remix. Why-oh-why must they remix, and why not include the original track... in PCM format?

Anyway, the 5.1 mix is not "centered". It's mixed too far left, then right, then over your shoulder, and never ever coheres into a decent soundstage. I've found the best way to listen to this disc is to output the audio via the analog outs on your DVD player and thus "force" a two-channel downconversion. Not perfect, but better.

4. Rich Malloy

Rich Malloy Producer

I dunno, Lino, as I haven't seen the UK version. The US New Yorker release is sub-par picture-wise, but actually fairly good for New Yorker. Considering some of their poorer offerings, I was a bit relieved when I saw the decent picture quality. But, at best, it's only "decent".

However, there's a problem with the 5.1 remix. Why-oh-why must they remix, and why not include the original track... in PCM format?

Anyway, the 5.1 mix is not "centered". It's mixed too far left, then right, then over your shoulder, and never ever coheres into a decent soundstage. I've found the best way to listen to this disc is to output the audio via the analog outs on your DVD player and thus "force" a two-channel downconversion. Not perfect, but better.

5. Lino Reno

But have you noticed if the concert footage on the documentary is of better quality than the feature itself?