Jazz fans...give this CD a try!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ron Reda, Apr 16, 2002.

1. Ron Reda

Ron Reda Cinematographer

I heard this CD a few weeks ago at my buddy's house and it blew me away. The sound is up there with some of the best CDs I have heard and the music is top notch. Give it a try...

LA4 "Pavane Pour Une Infanto"

The price is around $32 (it's a 24-bit Japanese import), but if you can find it, I feel it's worth it.

2. PaulHeroy

PaulHeroy Stunt Coordinator

Can you give a little more description of the music?
    I was really curious about this, having never heard of LA4 and wondered if it might be smooth jazz (no offense!). Took some Google help, but finally found an entry for the "L.A. 4" on Allmusic.com:
    http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p...=Bgmpzefqkhgfo
    Bud Shank & Laurindo Almeida seem to be the primary forces, with Ray Brown & Shelly Manne also on this particular album. I'm guessing a blend of West Coast "cool" with Brazilian sound, should be very nice. Top notch players, too. (Not $30 nice for my taste though.)

3. luke j. chung

This album was originally recorded in the 70s as an audiophile direct-to-disc limited edition LP. It's still one of the best-sounding jazz releases in my collection in either format![​IMG] The music's also quite enjoyable.[​IMG]

4. Ron Reda

Ron Reda Cinematographer

PaulHeroy,

Oh yeah, it's definitely got that "Brazilian" sound. One cut has a flute and other eclectic sounds. I listened to it again last night...I can't wait till it arrives.

5. Bob Turnbull

Bob Turnbull Supporting Actor

Bud Shank! Cool...
    I've got a tune by him and Ravi Shankar that sounds like an Indian styled Jethro Tull with some extra swing thrown in (just trying to tie back to your thread in the Jazz Club about "World" Jazz Paul...). I think it's on a disc called Improvisations.
    I'm now curious about this disc as well.

6. Ron Reda

Ron Reda Cinematographer

I got the CD yesterday and it indeed sounds great on my system! After listening in my own environment, I now have to say that I would classify it as acoustic, Brazillian-y, jazz.

Also, being a big Dave Matthews Band fan (their older material), it seems like they owe at least a small debt to The LA4!

7. Lewis Besze

Lewis Besze Producer

Ron,can you point me to this disc on the web please.

The above link seems to point to other albums, unless I'm mistaken.

Thanks!

8. Ron Reda

Ron Reda Cinematographer

Lewis,
    I believe I nabbed the last copy that Amazon.com had (it's now saying, "Ships in 3-4 weeks"), but you might try there. I also saw it out on CD Universe, but it was on back order. They were supposed to e-mail me when it was back in stock, but I never got anything from them. So, I paid the extra buck and went with Amazon.
    Here's what the cover looks like:
    [​IMG]