jazz and blues dvd-a's

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Brian Burgoyne, Mar 14, 2003.

1. Brian Burgoyne

Brian Burgoyne Second Unit

I was shopping online for some dvd-a discs and noticed several that I haven't seen any posts about. Has anybody listened to any of these, and if so, what are your opinions?

Herb Ellis, Joe Pass, Larry Golding Trio?, Laurindo Almeida and Charlie Byrd, Monty Alexander and Ray Brown with Herb Ellis, Roy Ayers: live at Ronnie Scotts, T-Bone Walker, Taj Mahal: live at Ronnie Scott's, Freddy King, and maybe some others. Oh, I just remembered Leon Russell, although he doesn't really fit the subject of the post, has anybody heard that?

2. Robert A. Willis Jr.

Robert A. Willis Jr. Second Unit

All of the Herb Ellis et al are pretty good. Laurindo and Charlie is also very good. All of the preceding are Stereo only with excellent production values. All of the AIX releases that I have heard sound great (production wise)

The Roy Ayers suffers from OK music and abysmal production. I haven't heard the other Silverline releases you listed. I did enjoy the Curtis Mayfield release. Please be aware that many Silverline discs aren't well produced and sound distinctly bad. As archival material perhaps they are worth the money.

3. Brian Burgoyne

Brian Burgoyne Second Unit

Thanks Robert, that was very informative.