What's new

Jay & Silent Bob Do Degrassi, Anyone get this? (1 Viewer)

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I'm curious, this just hit the shelves in Canada, by Aliance. The Uncut and Uncensored cover is different than the US release (missing grey band with the smiling Kevin Smith giving the thumbs up). It lists a running time of 1hr07mins and is rated 18+. Is this the same running time as the US version? Most sites are listing the US DVD at 100 mins-120mins. IS this running time including all the extras? 67mins sounds about right for 3 episodes of Canadian running time, but I'd hate to miss out on nearly an hour of extra footage. The extras listing on the back seems to be the same.

Anyone who can clear this up would be greatly appreciated!

todd s

Senior HTF Member
Slightly off topic. I live about 10 minutes from Kevin Smith's comic store "Jay & Silent Bob's Secret Stash". Last Sunday both Kevin Smith and Jason Mewes...plus two of the leads from Degrassi were there all day signing autographs for free. And I didn't know and missed it! :angry:

Jim Harvey

Second Unit
Is this worth picking up? I noticed that Smith has been appearing on even more episodes so should I hold off on getting this,incase they release a bigger set with all of his episodes, or will they just release a seperate volume down the line, along the lines of JAY & SILENT BOB DO DEGRASSI 2 or some such. Any help?

Ryan L. Bisasky

Second Unit
as far as i know, these are basically the last 3 episodes of the previous season (if your just getting it for jay and bob, you would be disapointed since as characters, they dont' appear until the 2nd episode. also they are more of a subplot as the plots of the show "degrassi" are finished up in these last episodes

Jim Harvey

Second Unit
So . . . not worth getting? Should I hold off for a bit on this? I'd like to sorta have it to keep my Kevin Smith collection complete but if there are more episodes out there with them . . . maybe I should wait . . .

Jeff#

Screenwriter
Who even cares about a little-known sitcom called Degrassi High? I think that aired on PBS stations here in the U.S. years ago. Why Jay & Silent Bob (who are funny, particularly Jason Mewes) would have anything to do with that show is beyond me. I'll pass on buying that video.

Tory

-The Snappy Sneezer- -Red Huck-
Real Name
Tory
That Degrassi, next generation show still airs on cable, I think Noggin, or one of the Nick stations. I tried watching the DVD but I just couldn't get into it but it seems okay for a teen oriented soap, better than that sweet valley high show that use to be in syndication.

About runtime, I do not know how Canada is handling this but there werer two versions one being as aired and one being an uncensored director's cut. The director's cut's grey warning band is only on the slipcover, maybe Canada does not have this slipcover. Under the greyband area you see the Degrassi Kids and a slip of notebook paper appearing to be paper clipped to the bottom of the cover saying featuring Kevin Smith and Jason Mewews Special Cameo by Alanis Morissette. Just checked runtime, the three episodes are about 73 minuted long together, presented as two one being double length in episode selection. Add in an interview with Kevn Smith and it is about 100+ miutes and I reckona few other snippets and I guess it would be 120 minutes.

Mark Kalzer

Second Unit
Just to address Jeff's point, Kevin Smith did it because he was a huge die hard Degrassi fan growing up, and remains one today. He named the character Caitlyn in Clerks after a character in Degrassi and his later films are similarly rife with references.

He even volunteered to direct an episode, but the Canadian funding regulations require the director to remain Canadian, and so he offered a cameo. I don't see anything wrong with it. If I had the power, I would cameo in Star Trek.

Jeff#

Screenwriter
I think the only Canadian comedy series I ever appreciated and enjoyed thoroughly is SCTV. And at least their show was produced here in the U.S. for a time in the early 1980s with the SCTV Network 90. Great to see so many hours of those on DVD, but they are a bit expensive!

Eric_Connelly

Second Unit
I don't know which Degrassi you grew up watching but I would hardly call it a comedy.

At least the original to air in the 80's/90's.

It was light, but comedy not really unless the new one is more of a sitcom.

If you want another Canadian show to appreciate, check out This Hour Has 22 Minutes. The show is bland at times but the poltical interviews they do are hilarious and I'm amazed they get away with some of it. Having a good understanding of Canadian Politics helps and I grew up 20 minutes from the border.

James T

Screenwriter
I'm not quite sure I understand the "comedy" reference.

I watched one episode of Degrassi with Smith/Mewes in it. When they were on screen, it was great fun!(ie. Mewes hitting on highschool girls). But when they went off screen, I couldn't figure out what was going on.

I'd recommend it if you're a fan of both Degrassi:TNG and Kevin Smith. If you're a Degrassi fan and only a Degrassi fan, you may not like the Smith parts. If you're a Smith fan and only a Smith fan, you may not like the Degrassi parts, like myself.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks