What's new

Jay and Silent Bob + Twin Peaks: FWWM Canadian Versions? (1 Viewer)

Mark Palermo

Second Unit
Has anyone compared the Alliance discs released in Canada to their American counterparts? I picked up Jay and Silent Bob today and, though it seems to have plenty of extras, it doesn't feature a booklet (only an insert). I also saw the Fire Walk With Me disc in the store, and found no mention of it containing the 30 minute documentary. Video and audio-wise is their much of a difference?

Thanks.

Mark

Darcy Hunter

Stunt Coordinator
I just picked up both J&SBSB and FWWM. The back of the FWWM package (Alliance version) clearly says "original documentary- reflections of Twin Peaks by members of the cast and crew". This is indeed the 30 min docu. Maybe you missed it, or there was some sort of sticker over that part.

Mark Palermo

Second Unit
Thanks guys.

Yeah, I guess I just wasn't looking carefully on the back of the Twin Peaks disc. I still don't like all the French plastered all over the covers, but I can live with it.

Mark

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
Mark,

Aren't the covers reversible with one French side and one English side like Ashley mentioned? That's how my older Alliance titles were.

Regards,

Mark Evans

Supporting Actor
Mark, you'd probably know this far better than I, and this seems as good a thread as any to ask, but do our DVD releases here often differ significantly from the US ones?
Besides the French I mean. The only times I've heard of it happening are with Memento and Ginger Snaps, but are there more incidences? Anybody else who has an answer to this feel free to clarify it for me! :D

Mark Palermo

Second Unit
Both the French and English titles are on the spine, making the lettering small and crowded. I haven't bought Twin Peaks yet, but the back cover has of J&S has the same synopsis and critic quotes written in both English and French on the same side. A minor caveat, to be sure. The cover is also reversible so you get the front cover art in French.

Mark

Mark Palermo

Second Unit
Mark, to my knowledge we usually get the same releases just more often with French audio options. There've been a couple times I know of where we've received better versions than the US (Good Will Hunting, Existenz) and several times that we've gotten worse (pan and scan only of Run Lola Run and The Straight Story, but both have come out in widescreen by now). It's those instances, along with the recent Memento, that made me wonder whether these new releases were identical to the US's. From what I've gathered, they more or less are, though nobody's commented on the transfers yet.

Liked your stuff in The Gazette, by the way.

Mark

Mark Evans

Supporting Actor
Liked your stuff in The Gazette, by the way.
Thanks muchly Mark, I always try to read your stuff in the Coast as well, you're much more arty than I am at this stage ;). I was very disappointed when I had to give up my position at the Gazette, but it was pretty lousy with office politics there.
Thanks for clarifying about the DVDs too, I'd noticed the Run Lola Run thing way back in the day, although I'm glad we finally got that nice Special Edition with the widescreen, which I'm quite jazzed to have in my collection.

ashley c

Stunt Coordinator
Actually the difference in Memento was that us Canadians got a special feature where we could watch the entire move in chronological order. That was not included in the American release, though they did have some extra features not present in the Cdn release.

It would be cool if the french cover on the flipside had different cover art, but unfortunately its the same as the english, only all the words are now translated to french.

Gui A

Supporting Actor
Jay & Silent Bob replaces the French 2.0 for a French 5.1, so there may be a hit on video quality there.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks