Jay and Silent Bob + Twin Peaks: FWWM Canadian Versions?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mark Palermo, Feb 26, 2002.

1. Mark Palermo

Mark Palermo Second Unit

Has anyone compared the Alliance discs released in Canada to their American counterparts? I picked up Jay and Silent Bob today and, though it seems to have plenty of extras, it doesn't feature a booklet (only an insert). I also saw the Fire Walk With Me disc in the store, and found no mention of it containing the 30 minute documentary. Video and audio-wise is their much of a difference?

Thanks.

Mark

2. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden Producer
    Reviewer

Kenneth McAlinden
    The Dimension release of J&SBSB in the US has a two sided insert with no booklet as well.

Regards,

3. ashley c

ashley c Stunt Coordinator

Us Canadians have the reversable cover in French or English. Whoopee! [​IMG]

4. Darcy Hunter

Darcy Hunter Stunt Coordinator

I just picked up both J&SBSB and FWWM. The back of the FWWM package (Alliance version) clearly says "original documentary- reflections of Twin Peaks by members of the cast and crew". This is indeed the 30 min docu. Maybe you missed it, or there was some sort of sticker over that part.

5. Mark Palermo

Mark Palermo Second Unit

Thanks guys.

Yeah, I guess I just wasn't looking carefully on the back of the Twin Peaks disc. I still don't like all the French plastered all over the covers, but I can live with it.

Mark

6. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden Producer
    Reviewer

Kenneth McAlinden
    Mark,

Aren't the covers reversible with one French side and one English side like Ashley mentioned? That's how my older Alliance titles were.

Regards,

7. Mark Evans

Mark Evans Supporting Actor

Mark, you'd probably know this far better than I, and this seems as good a thread as any to ask, but do our DVD releases here often differ significantly from the US ones?
    Besides the French I mean. The only times I've heard of it happening are with Memento and Ginger Snaps, but are there more incidences? Anybody else who has an answer to this feel free to clarify it for me! [​IMG]

8. Mark Palermo

Mark Palermo Second Unit

Both the French and English titles are on the spine, making the lettering small and crowded. I haven't bought Twin Peaks yet, but the back cover has of J&S has the same synopsis and critic quotes written in both English and French on the same side. A minor caveat, to be sure. The cover is also reversible so you get the front cover art in French.

Mark

9. John Sullmeyer

John Sullmeyer Second Unit

The Fire Walk With Me DVD's are identical in transfer and extras.

10. Mark Palermo

Mark Palermo Second Unit

Mark, to my knowledge we usually get the same releases just more often with French audio options. There've been a couple times I know of where we've received better versions than the US (Good Will Hunting, Existenz) and several times that we've gotten worse (pan and scan only of Run Lola Run and The Straight Story, but both have come out in widescreen by now). It's those instances, along with the recent Memento, that made me wonder whether these new releases were identical to the US's. From what I've gathered, they more or less are, though nobody's commented on the transfers yet.

Liked your stuff in The Gazette, by the way.

Mark

11. Mark Palermo

Mark Palermo Second Unit

I posted too late. Thanks John.

12. Peter_S

Peter_S Agent

The Canadian Fire Walk With Me also comes in a keepcase!!!!

13. Mark Evans

Mark Evans Supporting Actor

14. ashley c

ashley c Stunt Coordinator

Actually the difference in Memento was that us Canadians got a special feature where we could watch the entire move in chronological order. That was not included in the American release, though they did have some extra features not present in the Cdn release.

It would be cool if the french cover on the flipside had different cover art, but unfortunately its the same as the english, only all the words are now translated to french.

15. Gui A

Gui A Supporting Actor

16. Joseph J.D

Joseph J.D Cinematographer

What I want to know is this- Is the Alliance version of Twin Peaks:FWWM anamorphic? I looked on the back of the case and it only mentioned widescreen. If not, I will simply buy it south of the border. Not about to get screwed by Alliance...who provide inferior versions of Red Violin(full-frame) and Memento(missing extras of US version). By the way...the bilingual covers for both J&SBSB and TP:FWWM suck! Keep each language on it's OWN side. [​IMG] Well, now I did it, I turned my question into a full-blown rant....I can't help it since Alliance really gets my blood boiling when it comes to their DVDs.