What's new

Jay and Silent Bob Strikes Back. (1 Viewer)

Nick L

Second Unit
So I was cruising through my local mall last night when I happened upon a copy of J&SBSB. I thought neat-O its out, so I left the gaming store I was at and continued on down to the local Sam Goody. I asked the clerk there for a copy of J&SBSB and he said it didn't come out until the 26th. I told the clerk I thought I saw a copy floating around the mall and I would come back if I was able to pick one up. So I hurriedly walked back down to the software store and picked up the copy I saw and purchased it. So I was able to buy a brand new copy before it was supposed be released. The geek from Sam Goody was surprised and so was I. I felt pretty good, I wish I could get more movies this way.

Nick L

Nick Sievers

Senior HTF Member
My copy shipped early last week (but it takes a while to reach here), I can't wait to get my grubby little hands on it. Was one of the funniest movies of 2001.

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
Man, I'm glad someone opened my eyes. I was sitting around thinking it was Smith's funniest film. Whew, glad to get that cleared up before I embarassingly put it on my top 10 of the year list...
Luckily I've also been warned about Memento now too, as I was going to put that #1 on my list.
Anyway, glad to hear your luck. I'm hoping to look at my copy today too as it sounds like one hell of a nice DVD package (typical from Smith).
Now back to the point of this thread...to insult J&BSBack and those who enjoyed it. ;)

paul_v

Second Unit
I probably laughed more watching J&SB in the theater than I have any other movie. I thought the movie was a riot! Last time I laughed like that was when I watched Something About Mary. The thing with J&SB is that it's really for the fans. People that dont like Kevin Smith movie will more than likely not like J&SB.

Tom Ryan

Screenwriter
Man, I'm glad someone opened my eyes. I was sitting around thinking it was Smith's funniest film. Whew, glad to get that cleared up before I embarassingly put it on my top 10 of the year list...
Luckily I've also been warned about Memento now too, as I was going to put that #1 on my list.
Ahahahaahah owned :D!
-Tom

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
I am a moron with no sense of humor, too, Seth. I was foolish enough to laugh myself silly throughout the film even though I have now been told that there were only a couple of funny parts. Boy am I embarassed to learn this. The smart folks in the crowd must have really looked down at me and the other few hundred folks who were laughing so much.

Regards,

Chris

Senior HTF Member
I laughed -hard- saw this twice in the theater (and thus, got a free autographed poster from Kevin Smith after sending in my ticket stubs) KS really put it together for the fans with this one, it is a "dumb comedy" but I laughed harder at this film then I did most of the crap comedies that came out last year.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
This was the first movie I saw in theater where the whole theater was laughing their asses off. Of course that was the first and (so far) only time I've gone to the local indie theater as opposed the multi-plex. I like the Spectrum, but half the theaters (like the one I saw J&SBSB in) are really nice while the other half (apparently) aren't. I don't like leaving my experience up to which theater a movie is playing in, so I go to the multi-plex (shitty projection but big ass screen.)

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
Let me make it clear that despite my sarcasm, I have no problem with someone not liking a film. My only problem was an out of place negative comment in a thread clearly geared toward fans of the film.
btw, got my copy today and watched half of it. Stopped so I could watch the whole thing with friends.
I was still dying. To me this is like a Jay and Bob version of a Hope/Crosby road flick. Honestly I think that and Im a huge "Road to" fan. Sure J&B are foul mouthed, but the story structure, referential humor, self-depricating humor, obvious "road" motif, even some of the comedy oriented scoring feel very classically styled to me.
And that is why J&B did make my top 10. Potty mouths aside (and my mouth is identical anyway) this is a throwback to traditionally styled comedies, rather than the teen spoof hack crap that's been thrown out at us lately in a deperate attempt to capture the Mary phenom by ignoring everything that made Mary good and only seeing the "gross shock" veneer.
I'm sure J&B will be ripped off the same way.
Reminds me of Eddie Murphy's retort to critics in "Raw" about his shows being only cursing. "I couldn't have a show where I just came out and said 's**t, f**k, f**k you mother f***er, a**, goodnight'". :D So very true, too bad some people don't see through that and thus tune out the deeper social humor that Lenny Bruce, Pryor, Carlin, Murphy, Kevin Smith and others perform, and also why they can't immitate it correctly.
Oh the tranfer looked great to me, but what do you expect with a new film. Didn't check extras, but that's really a Software matter anyway.

Nick Sievers

Senior HTF Member
I also put this on my Top 10 list, It was the film that me me laugh the most in the films of 2001. I love the humour Smith uses as well, epecially the self-deprecating jokes he uses. We only had the theatrical release late last month so I'm happy that I can view the film again in the next couple of days.

I went with my brother (who loved it) to see this, so to view this with a room full of my friends who will no doubt be intoxicated should be an absolute riot.

"Yeah bitch, Phantom's like a motherf****"

todd stone

Screenwriter
I lived right by kevin smiths comic book store in red bank nj. I grew up with these flicks, gotta love em :)

Michael Dueppen

Stunt Coordinator
Watched my copy yesterday. I love this movie. I almost died laughing.
Also watched all the extras and they are pretty cool as always. But, I really wish Ben Affleck were on the commentary. The commentary is good (and better than most other commentaries) but it could have been much better with Affleck imho. Smith and Affleck in a commentary is always a reason for joy ;) (Maybe he wasn't available due to his alcohol problems?)

Rob Tomlin

Senior HTF Member
As a big fan of Kevin Smith's, I am embarrassed to admit that I did not get around to seeing this in the theater!

:b

I am really looking forward to this on DVD!!!

Adam_WM

Screenwriter
Real Name
Adam Moreau
NOt just you. I love Kevin Smith's films and I also didn't not see it in the theaters.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Not tryin to be the sole voice of dissent, but I thought Jay And Silent Bob Strike Back was Kevin Smith's worst film. Yes, worse than Mallrats, (which I liked).
I have enjoyed all of his previous films, especially Chasing Amy and Dogma. This one just seem so flat, sophomoric with tired old jokes and really lazy writing...however I am looking forward to renting the Se DVD, and giving it another chance. The extras sound really cool. Who knows, I may change my mind...and then again, I may not:D

John P Grosskopf

Second Unit
Got this disc last Wednesday from a major chain that routinely breaks street date.

Watched it a couple of times and went through all the deleted stuff & DVD-ROM content. I've been looking for easter eggs, but have found none. Anyone found any yet?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks