Jay and Silent Bob Strikes Back is funny.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by StephenA, Apr 7, 2002.

1. StephenA

StephenA Screenwriter

I just saw this last night with my sister, and we both found it very funny. She hasn't seen the other 4 in the series, so I had to explain some of the jokes. The only Kevin Smith film I wasn't too crazy about was Mallrats, the others I love.

2. Ryan L B

Ryan L B Supporting Actor

agreed

3. Dennis Heller

Dennis Heller Second Unit

Absolutely essential for fans.

4. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

Mallrats was my least favorite, too, but I hadn't seen all the movies when I saw this. My friend is a HUGE Kevin Smith fan and he made me watch Mallrats and Chasing Amy one day, then I saw J&SBSB again and got everything.

Anyone see the deleted scenes? They're REALLY funny.

5. Anthony_D

Anthony_D Stunt Coordinator

I found it to be a very unfunny film...shit people complain about fart jokes in Star Wars, but Jay and Silent Bob had disgusting humor in it...crap I just dont find funny

Kevin Smith has lost it since Chasing Amy...which was great IMHO

6. Dennis Heller

Dennis Heller Second Unit

In the words of Holden's grandmother, "the big money's in dick and fart jokes." Seriously, though, comparing the content of Jay and Silent Bob to Star Wars is a little odd. I think people generally got what they expected from JASBSB.

7. Mike Hutman

Mike Hutman Supporting Actor

I am a big Kevin Smith fan my self. I was wondering if anybody has seen Drawing Flies or A Better Place. I was about to order them at the View Askew website, but thought I should wait and see if they are any good first. Has anyone seen the trailer for Vulgor yet.

8. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

I've seen the Vulgar trailer. I'm seeing it opening day because my KS fan friend is making me go with him.

Kevin Smith made Clerks as an amazingly well written movie with two guys whose main motivations are sex and fart jokes. People hated those two characters, so he got rid of them by making one final movie with them. So from here on out, its no Jay & Silent Bob (except for the animated Clerks movie).

Up next is Jersey Girl, and I remember hearing that at the end of one of his movies, he put the text "J&SB will return in Clerks 2: Barely Clerking" or something like that. He puts little things of text after the credits on all his movies.

9. Tino

Tino Lead Actor
    Supporter

Valentino
    No it's not.[​IMG]

10. Matt Stone

Matt Stone Lead Actor

I've discovered that I liked it a lot more when I saw it at theaters. I love all Kevin Smith movies...but for some reason, this has absolutely no re-watchability for me.

11. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

12. Matt Stone

Matt Stone Lead Actor

I agree...plenty of funny stuff in this movie...I just discovered that I can't watch it over and over like I can Mallrats, Clerks, Dogma, and Chasing Amy. I also think watching this movie with other people adds to the overall experience.

13. David Rogers

David Rogers Supporting Actor

J&SBSB is essential Kevin Smith, definitely. Very funny, and as Smith puts it in the Commentary "the biggest inside film ever made", in that you basically have to be a Smith fan to get even some of the material in J&SBSB.

Intensely funny IMO though. Best J&SB flick of them all, setup by each that came before it. In heavy rotation at my bachelor pad; we've watched it about five times a week since it came out.

Not going to try to "explain" Smith to people who don't get him or who don't like him. Either you like the stuff or you don't. If you do, there's no explanation required. If you don't, I doubt trying would really make a dent with you. If you didn't see any appeal in your initial viewing(s), odds are against any explanation making it better for you.

14. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

i wouldn't say i'm a huge kevin smith fan, but i do think chasing amy is one of my all-time favorite movies.

that being said, i'm glad i got to watch this one a couple of times (rented it) but i'm definitely not going to buy it. it just didn't have the "rawness" of his earlier stuff. maybe (ironically) it was too hollywood for me.

the inside jokes were clever, but there was just something about it that i couldn't get into. maybe it was the fact that will ferrel was pretty much not funny and i didn't think chris rock's anti-white schtick (sp?) was funny at all.

anyway, if you enjoy kevin smith, this will be worth a rental, but you'll really have to like it to own it.

btw - there was fart jokes in star wars?

15. StephenA

StephenA Screenwriter

Yea there was fart jokes in Star Wars. The Eopi(sp) farted in Jar Jar's face at the beginning of the pod race in The Phantom Menace. Jar Jar haters should be glad about that. There are a couple other things that could be considered low brow humor in Star Wars: the frog-like thing that grabs a bug or something with it's tongue, eats it, and burps in front of Jabba's palace in Return of the Jedi, and Jar Jar stepping in poop in The Phantom Menace. There might be more, but I can't think of them.

16. Al Fischer

Al Fischer Stunt Coordinator

17. Tom Ryan

Tom Ryan Screenwriter

I can't think of any incidents in the original Star Wars trilogy that are as childish as the Jar Jar "fart joke" and "poo joke" scenes in Episode I. There is the burping thing in ROTJ, but I always took that as further establishment of the terrors that wait around every corner in Jabba's palace, rather than a joke.

-Tom

18. Matt Birchall

Matt Birchall Supporting Actor

19. Chris_Theuns

Chris_Theuns Auditioning

I thought JASBSB was hilarious. I don't see how anyone that watches that film would be expecting anything other than crude humour. It ain't gonna change your life.

20. Dome Vongvises

Dome Vongvises Lead Actor

I think Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back was one of the funniest movies I've seen in quite a while. Although some of the jokes fell flat (eg. the Scooby Doo parody bit), the movie had its share of lol moments.
    However, I seriously felt that I was at an advantage when I've seen Kevin Smith's previous installments. This was later confirmed when Smith finally admitted that watching his other films certainly helped with the "inside" jokes.
    Seeing Eliza Dushku, Shannon Elizabeth, Ali Larter, and Kevin Smith's wife in tight leather certainly helped as well. [​IMG]