What's new

Jaws DD vs Jaws DTS Choice... (1 Viewer)

Sheldon

Stunt Coordinator
I have to choose between the two but not sure which would be better or if their would be any difference at all.Would I notice notice the difference between DD and DTS??

Iain Lambert

Screenwriter
Jaws DTS is apparently a nicer sounding mix. Personally, I'm just regretting getting the DD release as the stereo mix on the DTS disc would probably downmix to mono better. Jaws is in Mono, and always will be as far as I'm concerned!

paul o'donnell

Second Unit
While I would prefer to watch this film in its ORIGINAL mono soundtrack more than anything else, I found the DTS mix superior to the DD version when comparing them last year.

Iain Lambert

Screenwriter
Goodness yes. I'd much rather have the original mono mix to something my player generates from the new multi-channel thing, but I'd rather take that than have to cope with the surreal experience of having surround effects where I've not had surround effects before.

Tony Lai

Stunt Coordinator
I could hear nothing out the ordinary on my Jaws dts copy. No wayward surround action.

You'll dig the score in dts - THAT IS WORTH THE PRICE OF ADMISSION AS IT IS!!!

T.

paul o'donnell

Second Unit
After reading your post Iain, it seems that you took my statment (ORIGINAL etc) as a comment on your own post. I only capitalised the word to illustrate my stance on original presentations (both sound and AR); it was in no way meant as a stab at you. I can see from your post that you're a OSP (original sound presentation; what's the correct synonym?) supporter and the downmixing of 2.0 track is perfectly viable. No confusion intended.
Anyway, back to topic, sorry folks. Get the DTS version is what I would recommend. :)

Iain Lambert

Screenwriter
I didn't take it as a dig at all; don't worry Paul. I just thought it was worth clarifying my point, just in case.

Tony - I din't mean to imply that there is an actual 'fault' in the DD or the DTS mixes, really; its just that once you've seen Jaws in mono as many times as I have (its probably my single favorite film), then any activity at all in the other speakers is really strange.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
I understand having Jaws in mono would be true to the original movie, but I can't imagine not wanting to listen to it in a superior 5.1 DTS track! This is a nice track.

I never really compared it to the DD track though.

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
1) Downmixing a 2.0 or 5.1 track does not always get you close to an original mono track.

2) On 'Jaws', it definitely won't, because the new tracks (including the 2.0) have many old sound effects eliminated, many new sound effects added, and timing changed.

3) 'Jaws' won an Oscar for best soundtrack. They really should have included the original Oscar-winning track on at least one of the DVDs. There is no excuse.

4) Yes, some people would never listen to a mono track if another track is available. Hopefully in this forum they are open-minded enough to accept that some of us would, and do.

paul o'donnell

Second Unit
3) 'Jaws' won an Oscar for best soundtrack. They really should have included the original Oscar-winning track on at least one of the DVDs. There is no excuse.
That one sentence sums up my entire opinion, very concise. I don't want to turn this into an ethics of remixing thread though.

DeanWalsh

Second Unit
That's one thing I have a MAJOR problem with on dvd... when using the original mono (or stereo) soundtracks for old movies we are stuck with ultra compressed DD 2.0 at less than a tenth of the pcm bitrate, which sounds S**T. Even when a dvd is feature only and space for a PCM is not an issue, we still get this garbage! This makes me regret abandoning Laserdisc... BRING BACK PCM DAMNIT!!!!

Brett C

Second Unit
I have to agree with you on that,lossy compression schemes are no match for LD PCM tracks!!!!

Tom-G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
There is always something to be said for preserving a film's original soundtrack, but the DTS track sounds a little better than the Dolby Digital track.

For a movie from 1977, the quality of the DTS track is quite remarkable. Compare it to the DTS track on Close Encounters of the Third Kind, which doesn't have an impressive DTS track.

paul o'donnell

Second Unit
Wouldn't it be great if old films getting released on DVD bare bones got a PCM mono track, where else is the bandwidth going?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks