What's new

Jaws - Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Kevin EK

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
I believe that story is told by Lorraine Gary, in relation to a later event where Spielberg reminded her about it. (She had seen a Jacques Cousteau special and began ad-libbing about the kids wanting to adopt a whale from the show) The actual footage of the ad-lib is then presented. This is present on both the laserdisc and the 35th Anniversary DVD.

I don't know about a montage of footage at the beginning. But if there was one, I can't imagine why they'd cut it when they left the rest of the doc in there.

I thought that Roy told a story about ad libbing with the small child, and the child imitated his every move for the scene.

Kevin EK

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
I think you're right about that - I thought that was a brief quote and I think it's in the documentary on the DVD. But I could be wrong. I no longer remember if that story was on the laserdisc documentary (which I thought was completely ported over to the 30th Anniversary DVD) or if it was on the E! True Hollywood Story. There were some good things that popped up on the E! piece, particularly about Robert Shaw back in the day.

I remember it in the short version on the first dvd, but not in the long version on the 30th Anniversary dvd.

Kevin EK

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
On the subject of JAWS, I have just put in a pre-order for a new book about the making of the film, written from the perspective of the people at Martha's Vineyard. It's called "JAWS: Memories from Martha's Vineyard", and it's available in two versions from Moonrise Media. Authors are Matt Taylor and Jim Beller. Paperback version is $59.95 and the "Limited Edition" Hardcover version is $250, for those who also want a piece of the Orca.

montrealfilmguy

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Ben Weaver
I had forgotten about that Martha's vineyard memories book.

think i'll order one myself,just not the 250.00 one

,because amidst some guy's famous movie memorabilia collection consisting of Scheider's Amity shirt

Ben Gardner's head and Spielberg's annotated script

he will now have a shrine (albeit,a very tiny one ) for a small piece of wood ?

an oldie,but a goodie,the SNL Star wars auditions,especially for the nasally frustrated Dreyfuss/Jaws bit

http://www.milkandcookies.com/link/31791/detail/

TheHutt

Agent
Real Name
Peter
I wonder just how many versions of the Making of Jaws documentary there are:

- The Laserdisc version (~2h)

- The 25th Anniversary DVD edition (50 mins) - heavily cut for first DVD edition

- The 30th Anniversary DVD edition R1 (~2 hrs) - apparently same as LD version?

- The 30th Anniversary DVD edition R2-R5 (1h 49 minutes) - for some reasons, cut by 10 minutes for European releases.

Any others?

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
^ Your post just made me think that there's a good number of books too- there's a standard making-of book, The Jaws Log (which I think was written by Gottlieb) and now the new Martha's Vineyard Memories book.

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
There was another paperback in addition to Gottlieb's: "On Location - The Making of the Movie JAWS" by Edith Blake. Ballantine, July 1975. I came across it a couple of years ago.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Chas in CT said:
There was another paperback in addition to Gottlieb's: "On Location - The Making of the Movie JAWS" by Edith Blake. Ballantine, July 1975. I came across it a couple of years ago.
Yeah, that's the book that I was thinking of when I said "there's a standard making-of". Or is there a making-of book, the Blake book and the Gottlieb book?

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Originally Posted by TheHutt

I wonder just how many versions of the Making of Jaws documentary there are:

- The Laserdisc version (~2h)

- The 25th Anniversary DVD edition (50 mins) - heavily cut for first DVD edition

- The 30th Anniversary DVD edition R1 (~2 hrs) - apparently same as LD version?

- The 30th Anniversary DVD edition R2-R5 (1h 49 minutes) - for some reasons, cut by 10 minutes for European releases.

Any others?

Are we sure the European release was cut? That just looks like the PAL speed-up to me.

TheHutt

Agent
Real Name
Peter
Are we sure the European release was cut? That just looks like the PAL speed-up to me.
Documentaries aren't PAL-sped up. ;)

And this one was cut alright. I have actually read report of what was exactly cut somewhere on the Net (can't find it anymore though).

TheHutt

Agent
Real Name
Peter
By the way,

In Germany, Universal had made a new 5.1 dub for the 30th Anniversary edition. However, the 5.1 dub was not based on the first German mono dub which was used in theatres and on the first DVD - it was re-recorded with new actors. While the realization was good, the choice of the actors was quite controversial, and the omission of the original 1975 German dub was quite a bad publicity - especially because there was nothing wrong with the old one, it was just that it was in mono.

There is a petition now for the upcoming BluRay release to include both the original German 1975 theatrical dub and the new 5.1 German redub on the BluRay.

http://www.petitionspot.com/petitions/DerWeisseHaiSynchro

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks