What's new

Blu-ray Review Jaws Blu-ray Review - Very Highly Recommended (1 Viewer)

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I'm kinda sick of being painted as some kind of whiner because I noticed Mrs. Kintner's age so I'll try to better explain my thoughts and reasons. First off, I will say again that Mrs. Kintner's age takes nothing away from the movie and her performance only adds to it. Jaws is one of my favorite movies and I've probably seen it 150 or 200 times in my life. When you see a movie that many times, you start to notice the most minute details and Mrs. Kintner's age is one of them. I have no doubt that her age didn't even remotely cross my mind when I first saw it because I was engrossed in the movie but the more that I saw it, it was something that stuck out to me. In short, not everyone that has noticed Mrs. Kintner's age is looking for something to complain about- it's just something I've noticed since I've seen the movie alot of times.

Todd J Moore

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Todd Moore
TravisR said:
I'm kinda sick of being painted as some kind of whiner because I noticed Mrs. Kintner's age so I'll try to better explain my thoughts and reasons. First off, I will say again that Mrs. Kintner's age takes nothing away from the movie and her performance only adds to it. Jaws is one of my favorite movies and I've probably seen it 150 or 200 times in my life. When you see a movie that many times, you start to notice the most minute details and Mrs. Kintner's age is one of them. I have no doubt that her age didn't even remotely cross my mind when I first saw it because I was engrossed in the movie but the more that I saw it, it was something that stuck out to me. In short, not everyone that has noticed Mrs. Kintner's age is looking for something to complain about- it's just something I've noticed since I've seen the movie alot of times.
Travis, I wasn't actually referencing you, either. Sorry if you took it that way. I was referring to someone else in this thread who seems to complain an awful lot in an awful lot of threads. I mean, let me ask you this: whether or not you noticed her age, did it take you out of the movie? That's something that has been stated in this thread.
Me? I take everything in JAWS at face value. Even the blowing up of the shark (Mythbusters be damned). Now, one thing that did take me out of a movie is the walkie talkies in E.T. That is a shot that is so awkward to look at, it reaches up and smack you in the head. I mean, seriously, why does every FBI agent in a cluster have a walkie talkie? Who are they talking to on it?
First FBI Agent: (on the walkie talkie) the kids are getting away and we are impotent to stop them with our walkie talkies.
Second FBI Agent: roger that. So are we.
that's a shot that completely distracts from the magic of what we should be concentrating on which is the kids flying away. Yet, the same person who says Mrs. Kitners age takes them out of JAWS says the walkie talkie version of ET is more beloved??? Wait, what???
sorry, but she doesn't take me out of JAWS. Walkie talkies in ET? Yes. Mrs. Kitner's age? No.

Todd J Moore

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Todd Moore
TravisR said:
Travis, I wasn't actually referencing you, either. Sorry if you took it that way. I was referring to someone else in this thread who seems to complain an awful lot in an awful lot of threads. I mean, let me ask you this: whether or not you noticed her age, did it take you out of the movie? That's something that has been stated in this thread.
Me? I take everything in JAWS at face value. Even the blowing up of the shark (Mythbusters be damned). Now, one thing that did take me out of a movie is the walkie talkies in E.T. That is a shot that is so awkward to look at, it reaches up and smack you in the head. I mean, seriously, why does every FBI agent in a cluster have a walkie talkie? Who are they talking to on it?
First FBI Agent: (on the walkie talkie) the kids are getting away and we are impotent to stop them with our walkie talkies.
Second FBI Agent: roger that. So are we.
that's a shot that completely distracts from the magic of what we should be concentrating on which is the kids flying away. Yet, the same person who says Mrs. Kitners age takes them out of JAWS says the walkie talkie version of ET is more beloved??? Wait, what???
sorry, but she doesn't take me out of JAWS. Walkie talkies in ET? Yes. Mrs. Kitner's age? No.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Todd J Moore said:
Travis, I wasn't actually referencing you, either. Sorry if you took it that way.
No sweat. :) I just wanted to fully express my thoughts on the subject.
I mean, let me ask you this: whether or not you noticed her age, did it take you out of the movie? That's something that has been stated in this thread.
No, it doesn't take me out of the movie. I worked in a non-chain video store when I was in college and we were allowed to watch PG movies so I nearly had Jaws on a loop. I even duped the laserdisc on to a tape so I could see it in widescreen and cover myself in case someone rented the store's copy. After seeing the movie that many times, it began to lose its 'power' so I had to cut way back in the times that I watched it (absence makes the heart grow fonder). Although I still watch it probably once a year or so. Since the Blu-ray was coming, I held off on watching it this summer and when I watched the disc, I was caught back up in the movie again and not Mrs Kintner's age.

NY2LA

Screenwriter
Real Name
TravisR said:
it was something that stuck out to me. In short, not everyone that has noticed Mrs. Kintner's age is looking for something to complain about- it's just something I've noticed since I've seen the movie alot of times.
Exactly.
Todd J Moore said:
Travis, I wasn't actually referencing you, either. Sorry if you took it that way. I was referring to someone else in this thread who seems to complain an awful lot in an awful lot of threads.
Isn't this an example of what is called Passive-Aggressive? Todd, instead of going on and on like you have, why not address the person you're really talking about? Could it be that the person you are targeting is the one who brought up the subject in the first place, but has also left the subject at least twice, and made numerous attempts (some quite successful) to turn the talk to other things? Could it be that your target is also someone who has said more than once that while it takes him out of the film it doesn't affect his admiration for the film, the actress, the director? What more do you want?
It seems what is happening here is that some people love the debate but refuse to admit the reality of the other side. Could your target be the person who has countered several claims from people who want to prove him wrong, yet twice conceded that this point that distracted him may not affect others? What more do you want?
Is it so hard for you to concede that that person's age might possibly have taken some people out of the movie? At all? 'Cause, you know, you can't go back and change what people have felt, and people have said they noticed, people have said it took them out of the movie. If you take everything in Jaws at face value, why not other people's feelings? You can't even acknowledge that somewhere, someone had a different reaction? Seriously?
Todd J Moore said:
Now, one thing that did take me out of a movie is the walkie talkies in E.T. That is a shot that is so awkward to look at, it reaches up and smack you in the head... that's a shot that completely distracts from the magic of what we should be concentrating on which is the kids flying away. Yet, the same person who says Mrs. Kitners age takes them out of JAWS says the walkie talkie version of ET is more beloved??? Wait, what???
Wait what indeed. Here you are taking quite a leap (not just in claiming that the walkie shot was SO awful that people who might not have even known to look for them would have the magic ruined) and this makes it clear who your target is. Unless you can come back here with a direct quote to back up your charge that anyone said it was "More Beloved", you are taking 2 and 2, and making 22. That happens an awful lot around here. If someone says they and others may like or prefer the newer version, that does not mean they are saying it is more beloved. That is your exaggeration. And something that happens an awful lot around here.
If someone argues that there are indeed people who like the newer version of a movie, if someone points out that for some people it was the first version they saw, and those younger people likely imprinted on it like others did with the original, if someone suggests that it's quite possible people in 82 may have had problems with pointing guns at kids, some people will refuse to admit there is even a possibility that others may feel that way. Some people (who also complain an awful lot in an awful lot of threads) will talk as if they have spoken to everyone who has ever seen that film, and insist there is no possibility anyone ever objected to the guns.
If someone argues only that BOTH versions should be made available, so neither movie's fans are deprived of what they want, Some people will argue that only they are right and the new version should be buried or burned. That doesn't strike me as rational, but we do have people around here who talk that way. And woe to anyone who disagrees.
I have argued that BOTH versions of E.T. should be available for people who like each to have their own. What is wrong with that? I have conceded twice that SOME people may not have been distracted by the lady's age in Jaws. But you and others won't concede that there are indeed others who may feel differently. As Travis said, not everyone who noticed her age is looking for something to complain about. But even that's not enough for you? I have turned this thread several times from this age debate and tried to move on to several other subjects. And here you are back again with it. What more do you want?
Oh, and Eric, I would love to see pictures from your screening if you have any.

rich_d

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich
JohnMor said:
OMG, can we PLEASE let this inane discussion of her age die?!  PLEASE??!!
Seconded.
Gentlemen, will you just take this off-line? Pretty-please with a cherry on top.

NY2LA

Screenwriter
Real Name
Does anyone remember in the first sequel that there was a backstory explaining the appearance of the new shark that was never mentioned in the actual film?
And why the french title for the sequel could not be the original French title plus the 2?

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Originally Posted by NY2LA /t/322958/jaws-blu-ray-review-very-highly-recommended/270#post_3968123
Does anyone remember in the first sequel that there was a backstory explaining the appearance of the new shark that was never mentioned in the actual film?

I don't remember *where* I got this thought, but having all four sharks be in the same family is a very strong memory in my head. Like the Mama got killed in the first, the Daddy electrocuted in the second, a kid blew up in the third and the other kid got impaled in the fourth.

I may be criss-crossing the Brody family being the constant in the movies with the shark...but hey, I like my shark family idea.

(PS-when can we expect the sequels on BD? The Revenge is terrible, but I'd get it...)

NY2LA

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jason_V said:
I don't remember *where* I got this thought, but having all four sharks be in the same family is a very strong memory in my head.  Like the Mama got killed in the first, the Daddy electrocuted in the second, a kid blew up in the third and the other kid got impaled in the fourth.
I may be criss-crossing the Brody family being the constant in the movies with the shark...but hey, I like my shark family idea.
(PS-when can we expect the sequels on BD?  :P   The Revenge is terrible, but I'd get it...)
What I heard was a somewhat simpler version of what you said, but your idea sounds more fun.
And yeah, since Uni is famous for having sequilitis, what about releasing Blu Sequel Packs for Jaws, and Airport? Although I imagine they will eventually market Jaws 3D separately.
Does anyone remember on the Universal tram tour about 20 years ago, as you were coming down a hill, I think near where they did the flashflood thing, for a long time you could see a Jaws-like shark just sitting up on something behind a fence? I think it might have been near where they had the defaced Amity Welcome billboard. The first time I took the tour the tram was too fast for me to get a shot of it, but I did get a good shot of the Orca sitting at the "Cabot Cove" dock.

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan Tuck
They're both pretty bad, but I always thought Jaws: The Revenge was actually more fun than Jaws 3, because of its complete, off-the-wall ridiculousness. It feels like an Ed Wood movie with a slightly bigger budget. The shark roars. Literally, audibly roars.
Also, in Jaws 3, a baby shark wanders into the Sea World park and dies about a third of the way through. Then the mother comes looking and, of course, proceeds to eat everyone in sight. I've heard the shark family theory before, too, but I think that may be how it started.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Originally Posted by Bryan Tuck /t/322958/jaws-blu-ray-review-very-highly-recommended/270#post_3968154
Also, in Jaws 3, a baby shark wanders into the Sea World park and dies about a third of the way through. Then the mother comes looking and, of course, proceeds to eat everyone in sight. I've heard the shark family theory before, too, but I think that may be how it started.
It's been forever since I've seen Jaws 3 and TOTALLY forgot about that part!

NY2LA

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jason_V said:
It's been forever since I've seen Jaws 3 and TOTALLY forgot about that part!
Ditto here!
I think it was a pre release Jaws 2 TV interview where I may recall maybe Lorraine Gary saying the shark in Jaws 2 was the first one's "mate." I had the novelization but don't recall if it brought that up. I just remember that story floating around before the film came out. I don't recall then any mention of the younguns...
The story I remember coming around before 3 was that National Lampoon was maybe going to produce it as "Jaws: 3 - People: 0" Like someone said "Jaws 3, are you kidding? ... maybe we should be..."
Bryan Tuck said:
They're both pretty bad, but I always thought Jaws: The Revenge was actually more fun than Jaws 3, because of its complete, off-the-wall ridiculousness. It feels like an Ed Wood movie with a slightly bigger budget. The shark roars. Literally, audibly roars.
Now the 4th... Didn't like everybody think that was crazy from when it was even announced? "This time it's personal..." and getting Mrs. Brody on the boat? I recall hearing how they shot in the big lake/tank up on the hill at Universal City, and how they had dyed the water blue, and when Caine went into the water, his hair.... I don't think I've seen that one for years, but the shark roars? really? Wow! Maybe that is the funny one they were thinking of doing before. And now I have to go look for it! Cool, thanks!

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Ya know, Jaws 4 starts out fine enough. I actually like the opening titles showing the shark point of view.

And that's pretty much the end of the good stuff.

That entire movie is just laughable. I think I prefer 3 to 4, to be honest. There's just a little more I like at SeaWorld. The entire attack in the Shark Encounter-type attraction. The final sequence is just goofy and terrible and I love it. Good eye candy. Louis Gossett Jr. And 3D of course.

NY2LA

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jason_V said:
Ya know, Jaws 4 starts out fine enough.  I actually like the opening titles showing the shark point of view.
And that's pretty much the end of the good stuff.
LOL!
Thank you for giving me my first laugh out loud of the day!
Didn't they all start the credits from the Shark's POV?

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Jaws should be very fresh in my head, but I can't for the life of me remember if the movie starts underwater or not. My first instinct is it doesn't, but I'm old and tired.

Yeah, that's my excuse...

NY2LA

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jason_V said:
Jaws should be very fresh in my head, but I can't for the life of me remember if the movie starts underwater or not.  My first instinct is it doesn't, but I'm old and tired. 
Yeah, that's my excuse...
I know the first two open underwater pushing forward to the Jaws theme, and that theme signals the shark, therefore it's the shark's POV. I would imagine the other two would at least open the same way.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks