What's new

3D Jaws 3D DVD in the Sensio SBS 3D format (1 Viewer)

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
Bought a Jaws 3D DVD (in the Sensio side-by-side 3D format) on eBay and received it last night. I tried playing it on my PS3 and Sony 3D TV but I’m only getting a small 3D image in the center of the screen. It looks like four images on the screen. I tried various settings on the TV and PS3 but I could not get it to fill the screen.

I tried it today on my Sony 3D Blu-ray player and Panasonic AE8000 projector and it worked great! I knew the PQ would be soft but it was cool to see the half eaten fish and JAWS 3D opening title about a foot from my face.

pinknik

Second Unit
Real Name
Greg
RolandL said:
Bought a Jaws 3D DVD (in the Sensio side-by-side 3D format) on eBay and received it last night. I tried playing it on my PS3 and Sony 3D TV but I’m only getting a small 3D image in the center of the screen. It looks like four images on the screen. I tried various settings on the TV and PS3 but I could not get it to fill the screen. I’ll try tonight on my Sony 3D Blu-ray player and Panasonic AE8000 projector.
I really wish a modern 3-D blu-ray player would easily play a Sensio disc or a field sequential disc in 3-D. As it is, I have my computer hooked up to my TV and use Stereoscopic Player software to play back on my LG passive TV. It's been a while since I viewed it, but my Sensio copy of Jaws 3-D has one eye darker than the other, which is annoying. My field sequential version doesn't suffer from this. YMMV.

GregK

Screenwriter
A couple things come into play when trying to show a Sensio 3-D DVD on a 3DTV.

1) The Sensio encoded 3-D DVDs were all flagged as 4x3, and the encode/decode for the original Sensio DVD format was to be 4x3 unsqueezed. With that said, the Sensio versions of JAWS 3-D and BUGS! were intended to be unsqueezed to 16x9. But even those two were still "flagged" as 4x3 DVDs, so they don't stretch out properly. With a few modifications, these two titles can be played back correctly on today's 3DTVs.

2) In order to get one's DVD or bluray to display these two titles correctly, one must set the output setting of their player to ignore the AR flag, and upconvert it as "full screen". This makes normal 2D 4x3 material play out stretched on your display, but the two Sensio titles mentioned above will now play back correctly.

3) I mentioned "upconvert" above, as part of sending a side by side 3-D signal to a 3DTV is it must be 720p, 1080i, or 1080p and fed via an HDMI input. Almost all bluray and DVD players with an HDMI output can upconvert DVDs to one of these resolutions.

By making the above changes, one should be good to go. The other Sensio titles not mentioned could be played this way using this method, but the downside is they will play stretched out and fat, as the original Sensio SbS squeezed format (along with other variances) was designed for 4x3 display playback and not 16x9.

The Stereoscopic Player is really the best way to go for the best decoding of the Sensio quincunx encode/decode system and to always get the proper aspect ratio. But.. for one in a pinch, the above steps should help.

(Sensio DVD menu for JAWS 3-D)

View attachment 3582

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
Maybe its just a coincidence, but after playing the Jaws Sensio DVD on my Panasonic AE8000 projector, I'm getting a smaller image from other Blu-ray's and cable. It's like its window boxed with a very large black border all around the image. When I set it to display a test pattern it fills the 16 by 9 projected image. For the 2.4 mode, the image displayed fills to the side walls, onto the ceiling and on my speakers. This would look fine in the past as the black bars for the 2.4 letterboxed image would display on the ceiling and on my speakers. But now I just get a very small image projected on the wall.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
I did so more testing, and if I connect from the source (Blu-ray player or cable box) to the projector its fine. So there must be something in the receiver that is causing this.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
I don't see any settings on the Denon receiver that would cause this. What is strange, is that when watching an SD cable channel, the projector makes the image very large but when I change to the same network in HD makes the image smaller.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
I figured it out. There is a setting for ASPECT on the projector for S16:9, 16:9, 4:3, etc. Somehow the setting was changed to S16:9. I set it to 16:9 and now it looks fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks