What's new

Jaws - 30th Anniversary (1 Viewer)

Joshua_Y

Screenwriter
But the thing is...you dont need anything new...the LD 2-Hour doc. is all that you need really...its the definitive piece on the film...

Chad R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chad Rouch

Why spend more money when they can milk us with already paid for material? The longer doc on the LD is better than the truncated version on the DVD and a new doc really is unnecessary.

JasonTil

Agent
Perhaps the only thing that could be added is the E! True Hollywood Story on Jaws. While not as good as the LD doc, it was very informative and quite different.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Yeah I'd buy it for the full documentary and original mono track (and better compression used today). Would be nice if they did a fully restored film print and then a high def master from it, and took the DVD from that.

They could call it Jaws: Ultimate Edition. How novel is that? :D

Dan Rudolph

Senior HTF Member
I just watched Jaws and I want this, too. Universal has released plenty of versions of other movies, I doubt there'd be a huge problem with a third version of Jaws.

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
I'm not usually one for double dipping, but we do need a larger and more improved 30th Anniversary Ultimate Edition of JAWS. I'd buy it immediately! I've never had a laserdisc player so I missed the "signature collection," and that long documentary and complete set of bloopers sound EXCELLENT! I think Universal skimped the first time around.

Ray_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
R. Ray Rogers II
I'd definitely go for a 2-Disc Ultimate Edition of JAWS if it was ever released. I guess only time will tell if we'd ever get what we wished for.

Elias A.

Stunt Coordinator
I just re-watched Jaws again a couple of weeks ago. I recently sold my DD version and got the DTS, since the sound is supposed to be an improvement. The soundtrack does sound a bit smoother, with better imaging and tighter bass. However, I still miss the old mono track. For some reason, the part I miss the most is the sound that the shark makes when it moves through the water. It's sort of a hissing sound as the foam in its wake bubbles off. The current versions leave that sound out, and it makes the shark seem less powerful and menacing. Also, the new whale song during the cabin sing-along scene is far less lonely and creepy than the old sound. However, I do like hearing John Williams' soundtrack music in stereo.

Watching the movie for the first time on a front projector, I also realized that the video is a bit soft. It could definitely benefit from some extra breathing room on the disc. I guess cramming over an hour of documentaries and special features onto the disc in addition to the two-hour movie takes its toll. This movie really needs a two-disc special edition, just to raise the bit-rate and allow the video more room to breathe.

Also, Universal needs to fix the cover art and bring back the classic poster image. The new and improved cover art looks like it was finger-painted by a five-year old.

Charlie O.

Supporting Actor
Oh oh, don't forget... They should pack it together with Jaw 2-40 so we have to buy a whole set to ge it.

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member
If they can fixup ET with CGI then they should also consider retouching the shark.
Blasphemer!!! Out, you demon hellspawn, out!!!:D :D

If you were not kidding (and I hoep you were), I hope my initial response above conveys the level disdain most of us feel for CGI "enhancing" of classic movies. Give me the Bruce, the whole Bruce and nothing but the Bruce!

Robb H H

Grip
I have the "Jaws" DTS disc. At the time I didn't have a DTS (or DD) decoder, but I remember purchasing that version because it came with the original stereo soundtrack, which sounded great.

Douglas Bailey

Second Unit
Real Name
Douglas Bailey
Robb, the stereo matrix-surround track on the DTS edition isn't the original soundtrack. It's just a 2-channel version of the new mix, featuring the same new/altered sound effects that appear in the 5.1-channel DD and DTS tracks.

Bill Huelbig

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bill Huelbig
I really hope there will be a JAWS 30th anniversary edition featuring the original mono soundtrack. It was good enough to win the Best Sound Oscar that year, and why they wanted to tamper with it and mess it up I'll never know. I've only watched the current JAWS DVD once - that's how distracting the new sound effects are. It just doesn't feel like the same movie I saw in 1975.

Andre Bijelic

Stunt Coordinator
If they can fixup ET with CGI then they should also consider retouching the shark.
Yeah, and when the original "Kink Kong" finally gets released, let's hope they replace all that dreadful old stop motion with awesome new CG effects. And colourize it. And remix the sound into 6.1. And make it widescreen!

Geoff_D

Supporting Actor
I've got the LD set and the dts DVD, but I'd definitely go for another DVD edition of Jaws if it delivered the goods.

EnricoE

Supporting Actor
i still have the signitaure laserdisc of this title and when i heared the movie would hit dvd i wasn't far away selling it on ebay. good for me i didn't do it which means i still have the original mono track, all extras and the full docu :D
i wouldn't mind at all if universal re-releasing this film in a brand new special edition where the film is disc one including original mono track, dd 5.1, dts 5.1 + an audio commentary of the cast. all other extras go on disc two including trailers for spielberg film made under universal flag (schindler's list for example).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks