What's new

Jaws 2 (1978) (1 Viewer)

WillG

Senior HTF Member
Although to be fair, the Voodoo Shark targeting the Brodys didnt appear until part IV. For II, it was just a random shark eating random teenagers, of which just happened to be two of the Brody clan.

Brody at one point offers the idea that another shark might "avenge" the death of another. The idea is dismissed by the Marine Biologist, but the seeds of the voodoo shark get planted.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Brody at one point offers the idea that another shark might "avenge" the death of another. The idea is dismissed by the Marine Biologist, but the seeds of the voodoo shark get planted.

"Sharks don't take things personally, Chief." ...at least not until Part 4. :P

I also never got the impression of the sharks chasing the Brody family, at least until that was the main thrust of Jaws the Revenge. Through Jaws 3, it just seemed like the Brody kids were in the wrong place at the wrong time. In Jaws 2, the shark would have attacked the teens' boats even if the Brodys were not there. It just amped up the dramatic tension to have the Chief's sons in danger. The shark could have had Mike if it really wanted him, and Sean, too. It could have easily sunk those little sailboats.

I thought Brody's comment in Jaws 2 was more like wondering if a second shark would take revenge on Amity, not the Brody family specifically.

CaesarJ2

Auditioning
Real Name
Caesar Arnanz
I was referring to the Alex death scene, not the whole sequence but the inner attack one.

In the book it sounds as if Alves shot the whole shark stuff (from the beach and underwater) and then they got scared, it was too cruel as Tino said.

I´ve found my book, on page 207 Alves says:

"Both Verna and I had done some second unit work on Jaws. I actually did a big scene with the boy on the raft with the shark. Steven gave me a couple of good scenes. So it seemed like a logical thing."

That thing is the talking about him replacing Hancock, which couldn´t happen due to the Clint Eastwood rule, if you know what I mean.

But it sounds true to me. Alves was key on Jaws, personal friends with Verna Fields, he was important on that camp... why he would lie? The Psycho reference above doesn´t apply here I think.

It´d be great to know that second scene...

You need cyanide bullets to put J2 above DBS, Tino?? Really?

Heartbreaking.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Heartbreaking to some. A sweet relief to others. [emoji6]

And as noted, second unit shots are always used at the discretion of the director. What Alves said is quite normal.

Perhaps it's the language barrier but you made it seem like Alves directed the entire scene as it is in the film and that just not true.

Sorry if I misunderstood you.

Oliver Ravencrest

Screenwriter
Real Name
Ron
Yup, same here. As I think I stated earlier, I wasn't wild about "Jaws" when I first saw it - to a kid, it's less exciting and action-packed.

Came to change my mind later, of course. "J2" is just an erratic, average movie...

I loved both as a kid but Jaws was scarier, I remember jumping when Gardner's head appeared in the hole in the boat. I still like J2 a lot. I think there'a a lot to like but it just isn't Jaws.

CaesarJ2

Auditioning
Real Name
Caesar Arnanz
No problem Tino. My fault for not explaining myself better.

I like you guys, here I feel real love for cinema, and respect. This is something not so easy to find when talking about films.

Recently I did a little article on a free blog to explain my Jaws 2 feelings. If anyone´s interested, the address is:

http://myjaws2.blogspot.com.es/2016/09/i-first-saw-jaws-2-on-royal-cinema.html

Tony J Case

Senior HTF Member
Sweeded Jaws is Best Jaws:

The story - back in 1978 or so, teenager Rob Hampton and his friends used their Super-8 camera to make a 4-minute short film set in the Jaws universe. The short was originally filmed with no sound, but now nearly 40 years after it was shot, Hampton has dug up the raw materials from his childhood and dubbed in sounds, a score, and even dialogue.

Bob_S.

Screenwriter
I've always like Jaws 2. I watch it right after Jaws. Of course, it isn't in the same arena as Jaws but a good sequel. Roy Scheider makes it that good. I still think Eddie's death is the scariest out of all the movies.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
I've always like Jaws 2. I watch it right after Jaws. Of course, it isn't in the same arena as Jaws but a good sequel. Roy Scheider makes it that good. I still think Eddie's death is the scariest out of all the movies.

I always thought the death of the girl who tries to rescue Sean was the most disturbing. And the kid who played Sean actually did a pretty good job of acting terrified in the aftermath of that.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I always thought the death of the girl who tries to rescue Sean was the most disturbing. And the kid who played Sean actually did a pretty good job of acting terrified in the aftermath of that.
Yeah, Marge's death was the one that always freaked me out as a kid. It's probably because she gets swallowed in one gulp.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Yeah, Marge's death was the one that always freaked me out as a kid. It's probably because she gets swallowed in one gulp.
This one always freaked me out, too, since you can see the shark "chewing" and it seems like there's a "crunch" sound effect on the soundtrack.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
This one always freaked me out, too, since you can see the shark "chewing" and it seems like there's a "crunch" sound effect on the soundtrack.
Also, there's a quick but effective shot of the shark moving up towards her as she's struggling to get up on her boat.

I probably said it earlier in this thread but one of the really good moves that Jaws 2 made was showing the shark a fair amount. Not showing the shark much until the end of the movie worked amazingly in Jaws but by the sequel, everyone knew what it looked like so it was better to get as many creepy shots of the shark as possible.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Although the shark unfortunately looks way more fake in Jaws 2.
I thought it looked pretty good except for the scene where its jaw folds in half as it scrapes along the side of the boat when it's trying to get Mike as he's unconscious.

Some of the fakeness may also be due to the fact that we just see it so much. In the first film, the fakeness was very well hidden since we didn't really see much of the shark until it jumps on the Orca. I don't necessarilly think they did a worse job with the shark in the second film, it just has much more screen time.

Heck, I'm watching Ozark Sharks on SyFy right now and the shark effects from 1978 in Jaws 2 are leagues better than this 2016 film.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks