Java Virtual Machine - What is it and where do I get it?

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Richard_T, Dec 9, 2003.

1. Richard_T

Richard_T Second Unit

My brother has a web site he is creating and in it he has some pictures which crossfade into different pictures. Everyone he and I know who is not using Windows XP can see this crossfading but I cannot. I was told, in order to see it using
    Windows XP I have to download or somehow get the "Java Virtual Machine. I went to Java website but I cannot find any kind of download for it or anything saying how it works. Can someone please explain (In a dumbed down version please!) what it is, how it works and how I can get it?

2. John*Jones

John*Jones Stunt Coordinator

3. Greg_L_C

Greg_L_C Stunt Coordinator

you just need the lastest java runtime solution.
    goto JAVA website and download.

Greg

java plug-ins are not included in the lastest versions of internet explorer. Microsoft lost there licensing agreement with Sun. Newer plug-ins have to be downloaded from Sun.

4. Richard_T

Richard_T Second Unit

Ok all, I've tried downloading the latest "Runtime Enviroment" which supposedly included the virtual machine. There was even a test area that I could see if my VM was actually working and all I get is a little screen that says "Click here to get the plug in even though I just downloaded it. Can anyone help this obvious idiot?[​IMG]

5. John*Jones

John*Jones Stunt Coordinator

What browser are you using?

6. Richard_T

Richard_T Second Unit

I am using Netscape 7.1, but it also doesn't work for my fiancee's browser either. She's using the latest Microsoft Internet Explorer.

7. Ray Chuang

Ray Chuang Screenwriter

If you want to go to download the proper Java Virtual Machine, download the current JVM 1.5.1 from Sun's Java website (http://java.sun.com).

8. Richard_T

Richard_T Second Unit

Thank you all for your help but I must be a real idiot here. I cannot find the latest Java VM 1.5.1 download by clicking on the link that Ray provided. I went to the Sun site and clicked on the VM which happened to be in the "Hot Downloads" area of the site. When I clicked on it, I was taken to an area to download the Java Runtime enviroment v1.4.2_03 which I already downloaded and which didn't help me view my brother's site at all.

Can someone give me a direct link to the proper download I need? These damn computers are going to be the death of me I tells ya[​IMG]

9. Ken Chan

Ken Chan Producer

The 1.4.2_03 is what you want; it's the latest stable version, basically the same as 1.4.2_02 but with some updated certificates. (Boy, they sure have glammed up the site.) The install should have worked pretty much "automagically" with a recent version of IE (5.5 or 6.0). It adds an item to the Tools menu: Sun Java Console. If you select that, a window should open, and at the top you should see something like:

Java(TM) Plug-in: Version 1.4.2_03
    Using JRE version 1.4.2_03 Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM

Not sure about NN, but with Mozilla, the plugins are listed under Help | About Plug-ins. Is the "Java Plug-in" listed? If not, you can try going to http://plugindoc.mozdev.org/windows.html and try the "Install JRE 1.4.2_02" link (scroll down to "Java Plugin").

Are you sure it doesn't actually work? There are some games and other stuff on the Java site and elsewhere.

//Ken

10. nolesrule

nolesrule Producer

Joe Kauffman
    Did you actually install it or just download it?

11. Richard_T

Richard_T Second Unit

I downloaded and installed it I'm sure. I looked in the "Help"
    section where it says "About Plug ins" and Java 1.4.2_03 is listed and it says "Enabled". I'm really at a loss here. Can someone please go to my brother's site and tell me if the crossfade photos work for you? Thanks again for helping me everyone. You must know by now that computers are not my strogest point, but I'm trying right

[​IMG]

http://www.amateursportstars.ca/crossfade.htm

12. nolesrule

nolesrule Producer

Joe Kauffman
    Worked for me. I have 1.4.1

13. Richard_T

Richard_T Second Unit

Are you using Windows XP? Which browser are you using?

14. nolesrule

nolesrule Producer

Joe Kauffman
    XP and IE 6

15. Christian Behrens

Christian Behrens Supporting Actor

Christian Behrens
    I don't see any crossfades in Opera 7 on W2K or Safari on Mac OS 10.3. Netscape 7.1 on the Mac does some crossfading. But it doesn't update the picture window when you click on another pic. It sends the window to the background, so you have to manually activate it and bring it to the foreground.

My guess is that he is using some MS proprietary code, i.e. stuff that only works (properly) with IE. Generally not a good idea. Personally, I will not use IE under any circumstances.

-Christian

16. Richard_T

Richard_T Second Unit

Thanks everyone for your help with this. Funny though. Even if he is using some code that only works with IE as Christian, then why doesn't it work if I'm using IE? Hmmm. I will send him your finding though

17. SteveCop

SteveCop Agent