What's new

Java programmers... any good free Java text editors? (1 Viewer)

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
I have the Sun Java Core book (by Cay Horstmann and Gary Cornell) and it comes with the Forte' Community edition and Java 2 SDK 1.3. I downloaded the newer 1.3.1_02 the other day and kind of need a Windows based Java editor for this

Java class I'm taking. The Forte is overkill for this part of the course and Textpad (which also is in the book's CD rom) is shareware and I'd just as well use Notepad or DOS edit. But just curious if there are any TextPad like utilities that are freeware? All I need really is a text editor, but was wondering if any of them integrate the Java compiler with the editor...

Thanks,

Jay

Joseph S

Senior HTF Member
I used Codewarrior Pro in college 3.5-3 years ago for C++ and Java. The academic edition was like $99, but I received the next 3 editions for both Win and Mac for free. It had a very nice editor, debugger, and compiled and ran the progs with one click. It also archived my class and header files in a java archive and wrote default html applets. However, I know if I need to now I can just use OS X's Terminal or Projectbuilder.
The majority of my class used Notepad and the JavaSDK (and browser for compiled Applets). Not as elegant as Codewarrior, but it did work when I used it in classtime lab. For a little better choice than Notepad, I did find this on a quick search Codewiz. (Free 30 day/$19.95)
http://www.incatec.com/cgi-bin/Codewhiz.asp Don't know if it's cheaper than the other shareware program you already have.

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
Thanks for the suggestions,but really, I'd just as well use Notepad, heck, I have done all my HTML work in Notepad, right now, I'm not looking at a programming environment, and don't want to pay for any of the J Builders or other visual programming environments. The course I'm taking right now is an intro course and even though I know enough C++ to make this course easy, I'm happy with Notepad and a DOS window to run the compiler.

Jay

Steven K

Supporting Actor
Ken is right... I would definitely check it out at the minimum. You'll be amazed at how much easier development is when you have a tool like JBuilder

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
Oh, thanks, didn't know JBuilder had a free version. Our instructor didn't mention the free version. (Other than the the guy who headed Borland is now working for MS and some investors have recently pumped money into Borland so the company seems to be alive again)

Thanks for the ideas again..

Jay

Ken Chan

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken
There should also be a JBuilder University edition, which should have more features for a low price. Back when I was in college, these sorts of things were handled through the bookstore.
As for the guy that "headed" Borland that now works for Microsoft, you're probably thinking of the architect for Delphi, who's now in charge of C#. They made him an offer he couldn't refuse
//Ken

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
Ken, oops, you're correct, somehow I wrote the wrong word.

Anyway, I'm not in college anymore though I bet I could probably still pass for it and I still have all my college IDs hanging around.... I'm just taking an IEEE class in Java, since it's paid for by my company and it looks interesting...

Jay

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks