What's new

Jasper Jig Model 200 deficiencies (1 Viewer)

Mitch N

Stunt Coordinator
I recently purchased the Jasper Jig Model 200 unit to hopefully make cutting circles easier and quicker.
I must say that it does work as advertised, however
there were some issues that caused me to throw it away
after just a few uses.

I could have emailed this post, but their website is outdated and the email address is no longer valid. So I might as well post it all in case your tempted to get one of these things.

1. The silk-screening for the Model 200 should be on
the topside of the jig, rather then face down while
attached to the router. Although not difficult to
match up the pinhole with the correct diameter
marking, it was an inconvenience to half to look a
little harder using sunlight to find the exact
hole.

2. The choice of material for the Jasper Jigs is not
adequate. It should be made of Lexan, or aluminum
(preferred) this is why I threw mine away. It was not
rugged enough and cracked at the mounting holes when I
was moving my router with the jig attached off of my
worktable to another location. Acrylic is a rather
strong and flexible material, but can also be rather
fragile and crack. Lexan would be a better
alternative. But ultimately if it were some type of
aluminum, it would be rugged enough and last forever.

3. The manual although fine for it's purpose, I felt
that it could be improved upon. More pictorial's, and
more tips rather then just text.

If I'm going to buy another jig, I may get one of these.
http://www.glassmanscustomforum.com/tools.html A lot more expensive, but should be much more rugged.

Oh and you can never have enough clamps! I have a couple C clamps and 4 24" bar type clamps and I could have used another set of 4 bar type clamps.

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member

I actually found the manual excellent. The steps are now intuitive, but it was a great help the first time I used the jig.

Best speaker-building tool I've purchased. along with the DeWalt 621 and my K-Bar clamps.

ThomasW

Senior HTF Member
To bad it's not up to your standards........

I build quite a few loudspeakers, and have found them more than adequate to the task. Probably explains why I have 3 Jasper jigs mounted to 3 different routers

I've one jig that's about 10yrs old. When attached to a big Hitachi router it survived a fall onto the concrete driveway with only a little chip in one end.

The only problem with your "Perfect" Circle Router Jig is that those are a REAL pain to get accurate repeated settings. And they must be reset for each different diameter.

Some of use use 3 different diameter cuts when flush mounting our drivers. That's when one looks all those little holes in their Jasper jig, and smiles.......... :D

Allen Ross

Supporting Actor
i love my little model 400 done many a projects with out a problem, now i just need to sink the money in to the 200.

MarkRoberts

Stunt Coordinator
I too purchased the jasper jig both the big one and the tweeter one. I did notice it was made out of acrylic which did bother me a little. I am a technician in a automotive factory and can attest to lexans superiority but I have yet to scratch chip,ding or other wise damage my jasper. I haven' removed it from my router since I installed it. The silkscreening is on top just face down. For two reasons I presume one to prevent from scratching the markings off. Two so you can read it,like Jack mentioned the router would cover up quite a few markings. This and my table saw have been the best investments I have made. Oh and bar clamps! You need at least nine or ten 36 inchers. I have 6 of them and 2 48" and 4 12" and have run out more times than I care to think about.

Mitch N

Stunt Coordinator
Here is a cool alternative for the true DIY'er

http://www.woodworking.com/articles/...fa=show&id=417

What do you know a lexan jig!
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...category=20781

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...category=20781

I can see that many of you had good luck with it, I unfortunately didn't. :frowning: Oh well, it's only money right?

Oh and one more thing, don't buy power tools off of ebay. Well that is don't buy generic power tools off of ebay. Your seriously asking for it if you do.
:thumbsdown:

RodN

Stunt Coordinator
I did my own too, just modified the straight jig the router comes with so I could use some thread for the router fixing. Works like a charm!

Although the jasper would be nice for consistent measurements.

Hank Frankenberg

Senior HTF Member
I've used my Jasper for about 4 years and it's still going. No cracks or breaks. Best speaker investment yet. I've cut LOTS of recesses and through-holes with it.

Dave_Gib

Stunt Coordinator
I'm a big fan of my Jasper jig too, it's the model 200, I have had it for about 2 years now, I've never worried about it breaking, I take care of it. The only bad thing I see about the perfect aluminum from the link is every time you go back to do one size hole you have to measure and set it again, where with the jasper the hole will be exactly where you left it

anybody else have to make 3 passes thru 3/4 MDF, or do I need a new bit?

MarkRoberts

Stunt Coordinator
I make single passes almost all the time. Though it seems to be rough on the bit. Mine has discolored from the heat but hasn't broke. I find that mine (bit) has a tendency to come loose in the collet no matter how hard I tighten it. I use a FRUED 1/4" up-spiral bit.
If someone's jasper did start to crack you could easily make one out of aluminum stock by clamping them together and simply center punching all the holes. The only one I see a problem with is the large hole for the calibration disc. It could be done though. That would actually be the best jig ever IMHO.

Mitch N

Stunt Coordinator
parts express recently had a sale (perhaps it's still going on) for the model 200 and another smaller model for the price of one. I decided to get another one and see how long this one lasts me. Hopefully it will go farther then 4 holes. :angry:

I may though after getting a drill press make one out of aluminum. That would be a cool first project with a new tool :)

Jason Dalton

Stunt Coordinator
I can understand how you would be upset that the jig broke, but I find it hard to knock things like the material and silkscreening location when the tool itself is so cheap. Its not often you can get a tool custom made for such an application as this and get it at such a low price.

Regarding clamps...I just got 16 24" and 8 30" bar clamps on eBay for ~$75 shipped. I can't wait to break them in!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks