What's new

Jason X Digital transfer (1 Viewer)

Lee_eel

Second Unit
Just read over at DVD File that Jason X will be a digital to digital transfer. That's got to be good news!

Jean-Michel

Supporting Actor
Neither was Jason X, but it's still a digital-to-digital transfer because all post-production work was done in digital. I don't know what they did for FOTR, though.

Scott Varney

Agent
Are we absolutely sure that Jason X wasn't shot digitally? I seem to remember stories just as it was going into production stating that this low-budget horror film was beating George Lucas to the digital punch.

Esten

Supporting Actor
As for the print...Yes I've seen it many, many times.
I had to check every reel as it was scanned.
I don't know what anyone knows about how we made this film,
but it was the first 100% digital film...
We shot it on film but then transfered every frame to HD...digital.
We did all the post in the digital world...
effects, editing, color, you name it.
We created a 24 frame conform in HD...We never cut or touched the neg.
Then, when I was happy with the cut and look, we scanned every frame
back to film. At the time nobody had done that before.
Well it worked and the print looks great!
http://www.fridaythe13thforum.com/s...Jason+x+digital
----------------------------------------------------------
Live-action scenes were photographed in 35mm three-perf format, which is a technique Underschultz has used for television programs. Along with accommodating the visual effects team, there was inherent savings in film and lab costs. Many sets were extended and the CG images composited during the digital post-production process.
"The size of a 1.85:1 full aperture image on a piece of negative film fits entirely within three perf," says Underschultz. "Since we were never cutting on film, there was never the requirement to have a four-perf negative to cut with. It was a budgetary decision that we would use the money saved shooting to create stronger visual effects."
Jim Isaac, director of Jason X.
The entire original negative was converted to high definition format with a Phillips Spirit DataCineTM at Toybox in Toronto. Many shots were augmented with CG elements and other visual effects. The digital master was color-timed in HD format at Toybox and it was transferred to four-perf Eastman color intermediate film with an ARRI laser recorder.
"Even though postproduction and mastering was done in HD format, it was clear that we needed to originate on film to get that dreamlike look that audiences associate with fantasy," says Underschultz. "HD video images can't compete with the look, feel and latitude of film."
Underschultz used a Panaflex Millennium camera and Primo lenses. The three-perf negative was exposed side-to-side and top-to-bottom, providing additional space for extending sets in digital post. The effects shots were carefully worked out in pre-production to accommodate special effects.
http://www.kodak.com/country/US/en/...01/jasonX.shtml
Should clear up confusion.:)

Steve_Tk

Senior HTF Member
I read they shot it on film, then scanned it. That's not the same as the Digital Film Lucas used. Lucas never used actual film in his process.

Terrell

Senior HTF Member
Okay, just so we now have it correct. I know Spy Kids 2 was shot with digital cameras, and Soderbergh shot Full Frontal with digital cameras? Are there any other digitally shot movies other than these 3?

Esten

Supporting Actor
Are there any other digitally shot movies other than these 3?
Thousands of low-budget movies have been shot on consumer grade DV,which is basically what Soderbergh shot Full Frontal on.

What Spy kids 2 and Episode 2 were shot on is much higher quality than condumer grade,obviously.

Mark McLeod

Second Unit
The low budget horror film that beat Lucas was Vidocq available on DVD from Seville in Canada.

You can find a review which comments on this at MadmanMark.com

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks