What's new

Jason Williams involved in a serious motorcycle accident (1 Viewer)

Brian Perry

Senior HTF Member
While the main concern right now is his health, eventually the discussions will turn toward his contract and what the Bulls can or should do. From what I've read, all NBA players have a clause in their contracts stating that certain activities, such as sky diving, pro wrestling, motorcycling, etc., are prohibited. (Karl Malone actually had his clause revised to allow motorcycle riding.) However, the phrasing of the restriction is a bit peculiar--it states that these activities are banned as sports. In other words, it will interesting to see if Williams will claim that his recreational riding of a motorcycle doesn't violate the clause.

As most people here have mentioned, I think it was a terrible risk to take. They say there are two kinds of 1st-year motorcycle riders: those who wipe out and those who lie about it.

Brian Perry

Senior HTF Member
this is complete BS with proper training and a sensible beginner bike.
You're probably right; if you start out with a smaller bike and work your way up, there's a good chance you'll be okay. (And when I said wipe out, I didn't mean crashing as Jason Williams did. More like falling and skinning your knee.)

Chris Derby

Second Unit
actually the saying is "there are two kinds of riders.. those that have been down, and those that will go down."

i'll be surprised if there are too many riders out there that will say they've never had a bike on the ground.

(yes, i'm a rider.. and yes, i've been down)

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
You're probably right; if you start out with a smaller bike and work your way up, there's a good chance you'll be okay. (And when I said wipe out, I didn't mean crashing as Jason Williams did. More like falling and skinning your knee.)
Not so much that as just dropping the bike. Usually at very low speed or when you're not on it, everyone drops one at least once. I think the MSF courses have done a lot for motorcycle safety, but the hurt report is ancient and hopefully we can get some new data to see what needs to be improved.

I stayed upright until some assmunch rear ended me and punted me off, then I got a little crazy on the racetrack and went off there too :D My bad...

A new rider on a beginner bike is pretty safe I think, it's the cars that you gotta watch. So many of even the new bikes have no business in a beginner's hands, especially when the new 600cc bikes make the HP that the older literbikes make, hell they're all over 100hp now...then you get people that go out and buy a literbike in the 140hp range :angry: it's jackin the insurance all to hell.

Brian Perry

Senior HTF Member
No one's talking yet. Some sources have said he needs a reconstruction of his knee and that the nerve damage was fairly severe--supposedly one doctor briefly contemplated amputation. He has pelvic injuries as well.

The only thing the Bulls are saying is that this event changes their draft strategy for Thursday. (Duh!)

Michael*K

Screenwriter
According to WLS, Paxson apparently will be holding a press conference Monday to discuss Williams' condition.

Marque D

Stunt Coordinator
Why is everyone so sure that he was riding an R1 and not an R6? I can't really tell because I can't see the pipe? The R1's pipe is more of a smoke black color so the bike maybe an R1? The pictures that Patrick posted make me think it's a R1 but the video they showed on Sports Center made me think it was an R6.

Anyway everyone is coming down on him for riding a motorcycle (I'm not taking into account the fact that he didn't have a license or helmet because that's very foolish on his part), but all of a sudden motorcycles sound so dangerous that they might as well be outlawed. Having an exotic car could easily be considered just as dangerous when people do immature things with them. My dad is a machinist who builds wings and parts for airplanes. He also in the past road on the street but stopped after my sister was born. But he still races drag bikes. So if something were to ever happen does he automatically get grouped into that category of taking a stupid risk because of his line of work or because once again motorcycles are dangerous.

Is a road racer in Moto GP really at more risk than a F1 or NASCAR driver? I not for sure why but I fell that their level of risk is about the same. Anyway one reason not to jump on Jay Williams is because I'm sure he's not the only athlete that rides. I'd be stunned if there are no baseball players that ride Harleys. I'm sure at least a few of you saw the Discovery documentary on Jesse James of West Coast Choppers, than you might remember that Shaquille O'Neal rides. Karl Malone is a motorcyclist as well.

Chris Derby

Second Unit
Looks like an R6... This bike has 5-spoke wheels. The '03 R1s still have 3 spoke. Also, it looks like the clip-ons are attached on top of the triple clamp. R1s are attached under the top clamp.

You can't really tell by the exhaust. Looks like an aftermarket slip-on.

Aside from that, the R6s have a different flame design.

;)

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
I know that this is going to sound cold hearted but after hearing the news two things came to mind.

One, I hope that Bulls somehow get out of paying him any more money. Maybe they can invoke the “no motorcycle” clause of his contract. If they do successful invoke the clause does that mean he is a free agent if and when he is ready to return?

Another interesting aspect if they do invoke the clause, will the players’ union appeal?

The second item that I thought of was that we could now dismiss the myth that Duke athletes are more intelligent then the average college jock.

That said I hope he makes a recover but again he shouldn’t be paid 3 million next year while he rehabilitates from an injury that was a result of his extra curricular activities.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Just to bring this near my home, there's a 1 mile stretch that's pretty straight, but hilly. Well, tonight, I drive down this road on my way home, and there's 7 police cars with their lights a-shining at one of the apartment complex turn-ins. It seems someone on a motorcycle got clobbered by a car on the hilly road. I'm assuming one of them was going too fast, and couldn't stop in time as the other was making a left hand turn into the apartment complex. This made me think of the Jay Williams crash immediately.

BTW, any confirmation on the reports that Jay is experiencing paralysis of the lower extremities?

Chris Derby

Second Unit
why assume that one of them was going too fast? why can't it just be something as simple as the motorcycle was less visable and the two vehicles came together?

Brian Perry

Senior HTF Member
I hope that Bulls somehow get out of paying him any more money. Maybe they can invoke the “no motorcycle” clause of his contract. If they do successful invoke the clause does that mean he is a free agent if and when he is ready to return?

Another interesting aspect if they do invoke the clause, will the players’ union appeal?
Besides that, I wonder if most athletes have some kind of life/disability insurance policy to protect their contracts.

Though I agree that he shouldn't be paid (okay, maybe a token $500,000 severance package or something) you can bet that any attempt to terminate his contract will be met with resistance from the family, the players union, and Operation Push. Just think if he had a Grant-Hill-sized contract.

I'm sure everyone's lawyers and PR agents are working overtime right now trying to figure it out.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks