Jason & The Argonauts 1963

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Mark Anthony, Feb 8, 2004.

1. Mark Anthony

Mark Anthony Second Unit

Feb 25, 2001
    Having just watched JatA, for the first time in 5 years, I remembered what a fantastic piece of adventure filmmaking it is and a tribute to Ray Harryhausen's genius that it's still thrilling over 40 years later....so, it would be great to see Columbia, a studio that seems to be willing to reissue titles multiple times, give this title the treatment it deserves...

...Having watched the dvd, it looks like some kind of film restoration may be in order to remove the marks of time, either that or a good digital clean up - but most distracting is the colour shifts within scenes as shots change from live action to special effects and back - complete with colour changes in backgrounds - for example sea and sky turning from light to dark blue in the same scene(!), accompanied by a reduction in detail and increased grain.

I'm sure a bit of Lowry Digital magic and/or Colour grading / dust-busting could make this look better than new, and keep this work of mythology looking as realistic as possible!

That's not to mention the scenes which have been mis- transferred as daytime scenes, when they should be at night! See the Criterion LD transfer, supervised by Harryhausen, to see how they should look - speaking of which as that was presented in Axcadmey 1.33:1, perhaps there should be an unmatted version too...?

As for the audio, not only does the dialogue go out of sync in quite a few places (easily remedied with pro-tools, etc) i'm not sure if Bernard Hermann's sessions were originally recorded in stereo, but if so and the multi-tracks are available, it would be great to hear this in 5.1 as well as the original mono.

Anybody else agree?

2. alan halvorson

alan halvorson Cinematographer

Oct 2, 1998
    Yeah, I'd like to see it redone although I don't think it's too bad. I'd also like to see the Criterion extras from the laser disc (which is full screen), that, fortunately, I own.