What's new

Ghostbusters: Afterlife (2021) (1 Viewer)

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Old school Name recognition. Reitman name. Sequel not reboot. No stupid controversy. Original Stars most likely reprising roles. I think it will outgross Feig’s easily.

You mean the movie we could have, should have, and would have gotten all along back in the 1990s had it not been for the Bill Murray/Harold Ramis feud that made Groundhog Day their last collaboration? Imagine if Ghostbusters 3 had come out in 1995 or 1996 after Bill made Ed Wood. Certainly that would have been a better use of his time and talents than that elephant movie, no?

Last edited:

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
The original Ghostbusters are back! Ernie Hudson confirms he and surviving co-stars Dan Aykroyd and Bill Murray WILL reprise their roles in third film installment

Ernie Hudson, who played Winston Zeddemore in the original 1984 movie, confirmed he and co-stars Dan Aykroyd and Bill Murray will return for third film

Speaking to DailyMailTV NAACP Image Awards Screening, Hudson, 73, said: 'Ivan Reitman is there and everybody is in'

• Sony Pictures revealed a new film is in the works by releasing a teaser Tuesday - and will be directed by Jason Reitman - whose dad Ivan produced the first two
    • The film will be the first of the franchise not to include Harold Ramis - who played Egon - after he died in 2014
    • A source also revealed Aykroyd is the driving force behind the project and has completed a script
    • 'Sony have the premise and idea, but obviously for them it is a gamble after the disaster of the female reboot,' the source said

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
You mean the movie we could have, should have, and would have gotten all along back in the 1990s had it not been for the Bill Murray/Harold Ramis feud that made Groundhog Day their last collaboration? Imagine if Ghostbusters 3 had come out in 1995 or 1996 after Bill made Ed Wood. Certainly that would have been a better use of his time and talents than that elephant movie, no?
Separately from the Murray/Ramis feud, I don't think Murray was ready to return as Venkman during that period.

Murray is basically a folk hero these days, but he has a dark side and Ramis bore the brunt of that during the making of Groundhog Day. I'm really glad they were able to mend fences before Ramis's passing, and I'm bummed that Murray waited until Ramis was terminally ill.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Leslie Jones (who of course was in Paul Feig's Ghostbusters movie and who I think did a good job in it) has been tweeting about this and is insulted because "we didn't count."

I personally enjoyed the 2016 movie. Nor do I have any problem with there being a female Ghostbusters team. However, I do have to say I find this ever so slightly hypocritical because the 2016 movie ignored the continuity of the original two films and was a reboot. So how is this any different? It's ignoring the continuity of the reboot and going back to the original. Both of them ignored something.

Also, the ship has already sailed on a sequel to the Feig version. I don't think the fact that Sony's not going to do that again has to mean that the property is required to stay on ice perpetually. Eventually they were going to figure out a way to make another one. It just happened a lot faster than probably most of us were expecting.

There have been strong female characters in every Jason Reitman film I have seen, including several where the protagonist is female (including Juno, Young Adult, and Tully.) I would be very surprised if he didn't include strong female characters in his Ghostbusters movie too.

Last edited:

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Leslie Jones (who of course was in Paul Feig's Ghostbusters movie and who I think did a good job in it) has been tweeting about this and is insulted because "we didn't count."
I sympathize with her, because a pathetic sliver of the male gender really put her through hell for the Feig Ghostbusters.

But it was ultimately audiences who decided that that movie "didn't count". The Feig movie had nearly five times the budget of the original movie, but grossed $66 million less the original movie -- not even factoring in inflation between 1984 and 2016. And it was a public relations disaster that damaged one of Sony's iconic cinematic brands.

As you say, when the Feig movie decided to ignore the continuity of the original two films, it guaranteed that any future Ghostbusters films that acknowledged those original two films would have to disregard the Feig film.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
As you say, when the Feig movie decided to ignore the continuity of the original two films, it guaranteed that any future Ghostbusters films that acknowledged those original two films would have to disregard the Feig film.

Exactly. Sony shouldn't be blamed for wanting to make a movie that is a direct follow-up to two of their biggest legacy hits.

It's too bad that so many people were so vehemently opposed to the Feig version. I think if they had been more open-minded they might have enjoyed it. However, going back to what worked in the original film isn't a bad thing, nor does it mean that Feig's version is suddenly devoid of value. The sequel to the originals is just what the audience seems to want.

I wonder if audiences would still have been polarized by the Feig version if it had been more like The Force Awakens, introducing the female team alongside the original cast returning in their roles. Obviously some particularly close-minded people were going to be upset with any version that had a female team, but I wonder if the fact that it was a total reboot rather than a sequel might have made the situation worse than it needed to be. We'll never know, of course, because Feig's version was what it was. But it's hard not to wonder.

Last edited:

JimmyO

Berserker
Real Name
Jim
Jake, I am pretty sure things would have gone a lot better for them if they had honored the original film rather than cast it aside and reboot. This always puzzled me about the reboot. They could have easily made one of the characters in the film a daughter of one of the original team, sifting through the dust of the long-closed company, and they discover for whatever reason the need to revise that company based on something found. She assembles a team of colleagues that happen to be female. Done!

Any number of threads could have tied the two together. In this way it wouldn't have been a "screw the original, we're doing it over". I have never understood why they thought this was the best route to take. It was SO unnecessary.

Sign of the times we're in, redoing something classic with female leads which was previously helmed by male actors will always come with some polarization by some segment of the audience.

Flat out redoing something where the original was so great wouldn't work out regardless of the genders of those involved.

JimmyO

Berserker
Real Name
Jim
Just checked out Leslie Jones' tweet. Wow. Such disrespect, and as pointed out, so hypocritical. Way, WAY over the top.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I sympathize with her, because a pathetic sliver of the male gender really put her through hell for the Feig Ghostbusters.

But it was ultimately audiences who decided that that movie "didn't count".
Yeah, I find it a crime against art that David Fincher didn't get to do two sequels to The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo but I also understand that money talks. If the first movie in a prospective series doesn't make money, why would anyone expect someone to make a second one?

JQuintana

BANNED
Real Name
Me
I'm a bit confused about how the female version fits in. Overall it's a remake of the original with some different takes on a few things like the building they use, the vehicle the use etc. But at the end of the movie we see that they clearly will tackle Zewl (sp) in the potential sequel.

So basically we have to alternate universe versions that will be competing with each other basically, am I thinking this through right??

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I'm a bit confused about how the female version fits in. Overall it's a remake of the original with some different takes on a few things like the building they use, the vehicle the use etc. But at the end of the movie we see that they clearly will tackle Zewl (sp) in the potential sequel.

So basically we have to alternate universe versions that will be competing with each other basically, am I thinking this through right??
There won’t be a sequel to the Feig version. That for certain now.

JQuintana

BANNED
Real Name
Me
Wow, she's a bitter woman! And of course she had to toss politics into it too boot. Sheesh.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
I saw the 2016 version of Ghostbusters in the theater. I hated it, and it had nothing to do with the cast being female. It just wasn't funny to me.

the controversy about female vs. male Ghostbusters is stupid. Movies are made every day with men, or women in lead roles. I'm not sure why the 2016 film was such magnet for hate, but again I'm guessing the outrage stems from stupidity.

JQuintana

BANNED
Real Name
Me
I don't hate the 2016 movie. It's ok at best.

The hate drawn to it is thanks to folks having an anonymous platform called social media to let their ignorance show.

But if you had to pin down one reason for the hate I would say it's because the original is SO beloved to this day that seeing it get turned on its head in this PC world rubbed folks the wrong way and it just fueled the fires.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Wow, she's a bitter woman! And of course she had to toss politics into it too boot. Sheesh.

Just being logical, Her film failed, why would Sony try again with a dedicated sequel to it? It isn't a conspiracy, it is a business.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks