Jason and the Argonauts (1963 version)

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jay Villero, Apr 17, 2002.

1. Jay Villero

Jay Villero Agent

The review of this DVD in Widescreen Review is awful. I love the movie, and want to pick this up, but not if it looks and sounds like garbage. What do people who have seen the DVD think?

2. Anthony Hom

Anthony Hom Supporting Actor

I have this DVD. while it does'nt look as crisp as a movie made in 2002, I think you have to give some leeeway in the film quality. The quality is good, just not great, but I would not want them to do "enhancements" to this film if it meant altering it. I think some areas of the film are meant to look a little softer and grainer so the special effects don't look so obviously fake at the time they were made.

I am glad to have the film, because I enjoy it so much, and it is watchable in my opinion on DVD. They did not remaster the sound for 5.1, but I really don't care, the film stands on its own.

3. soop.spoon

soop.spoon Supporting Actor

The disc is fine... DVD technology tends to make the grain in the effects shots more pronounced, but the transfer is actually quite good.

4. Terry Hickey

Terry Hickey Second Unit

Terry Hickey
    I enjoy the disc, it beats the heck out of the VHS copy that I use to have. I agree with the others, considering the age of the film, the transfer is ok, not great or fantastic.

5. Brian McHale

Brian McHale Supporting Actor

Brian McHale
    Personally, I thought it looked and sounded fine. (I'm only using a Dolby Pro-Logic system, so take my sound comments with a grain of salt.)

I would say, unless you're extremely picky, that you'll probably find the quality of the movie greatly outweighs any shortcomings of the DVD.

6. GerardoHP

GerardoHP Supporting Actor

Gerardo Paron
    If you're not going to be extremely picky, the DVD is just fine.

Otherwise, both the widescreen and 4:3 transfers seem framed too tightly, the former missing information on the sides of the frame that appears in the latter, and the latter appearing to be a P&S rather than a full-frame transfer.

7. Eric Paddon

Eric Paddon Screenwriter

My problem is that I have the Criterion LD and don't feel the need to get the DVD since the extras would pale considerably and just give me what I've already got in the "First Men On The Moon" DVD.

8. Randy_M

Randy_M Supporting Actor

Randy Margolis
    It was a must-have for me (along with 7th Voyage of Sinbad). Perfectly serviceable for a 40 year old film...

9. Craig Beam

Craig Beam Screenwriter

Craig Beam
    ...and it should be noted that the transfer IS anamorphic, though the packaging doesn't mention it. Considering the vintage, it looks pretty decent. And if you're at all a fan of either Ray Harryhausen or Bernard Herrmann, by all means GET IT!!!!!

10. soop.spoon

soop.spoon Supporting Actor

Anybody pick up the Intrada release of the score? It's a re-recording, not the original soundtrack. It's pretty cool!

11. MartEvans

MartEvans Stunt Coordinator

If your a fan of the movie then it is worth picking up, it also has a cool little extra in a form of a John Landis interview with Harryhausen. [​IMG]

12. Jay Villero

Jay Villero Agent

My worries are now gone. I'll be ordering this shortly. Thanks for all the input!

- Jay