Jarmusch's DOWN BY LAW: 2 disc Criterion

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Nathan V, Nov 4, 2002.

1. Nathan V

Nathan V Supporting Actor

I just need some background info on this one.
    Is this out yet?
    How are the features?
    More importantly, how's the movie?
    Of the jarmusch films, I've only seen Ghost Dog, which I loved. How does this one compare?

2. Robert_eb

Robert_eb Supporting Actor

I ordered it yesterday. Does anyone have an opinion as to the quality of this dvd?

3. Jon Robertson

Jon Robertson Screenwriter

It's one of the best DVDs Criterion has ever come out with.
    The transfer is the best black-and-white image on a DVD I've ever seen, the extras are plentiful and all as informative as they are interesting and genuinely original (and often hilarious), and the whole thing just reeks of sheer class.
    Thoroughly recommended! [​IMG]
    As for the film, I found it absorbing and very, very funny indeed. It also has an immortal, timeless sense of cool about it. It's decidedly Not For Everyone, but I thought it was delightful.

4. Robert_eb

I'm really looking forward to the isolated score, which is one of my favorite features on dvds and I wish it was used more often. I'm a big fan of John Lurie and his band The Lounge Lizards and also the music of Tom Waits. I'm also becoming a fan of Jim Jarmusch and is style of filmaking. I own Stranger Than Paradise, Dead Man and Ghost Dog and I'm looking forward to adding this title to my collection.

5. Tim RH

Tim RH Second Unit

Pick up MYSTERY TRAIN while you're at it. Great movie, great transfer. [​IMG]

6. Bruce Hedtke

Bruce Hedtke Cinematographer

Jim Jarmusch is an aquired taste. If you find pretty much any of his films appealing, chances are that you'll find all of his films appealing. Down By Law certainly fits that bill. Not for everyone, but a must for Jarmusch fans.
    Bruce

7. Rob Tomlin

Rob Tomlin Producer

8. Jon Sheedy

Jon Sheedy Stunt Coordinator

Down By Law ranks just behind Dead Man as my 2nd favorite Jarmusch film. Can't wait to pick up this title!
    If you enjoyed Ghost Dog you'll probably dig this one as well....it's a much better film, IMHO.
    Very pleased to hear that Criterion has apparently done an outstanding job on this title!

9. Robert_eb

I just received it yesterday and was blown away by Robby Mullers photography. I have yet to dive into the supplements but the transfer is gorgeous. Kudos to Criterion for the remarkable job on this remarkable film. My only complaint is the mono soundtrack. This film would really liven up with a 5.1 mix.
    On a releated note here's a link to a nice interview with Jim Jarmusch:
    http://www.dvdtalk.com/cinemagotham/...es/000833.html

10. Jon Robertson

Jon Robertson Screenwriter

But there's just something about mono sound that's very fitting for Jarmusch, don't you think?

11. Robert_eb

I'd just like to have the option of having the original mono as well as an updated 5.1 soundtrack.

12. Nathan V

Nathan V Supporting Actor

Just watched it, great movie, great disc. Yeah, Muller's photography is great. He knows how to use a flat frame.
    Terrific dialogue by Jarmusch.

13. Rob Tomlin

Rob Tomlin Producer

I picked this up and watched it a couple of nights ago. I loved it! Great acting and typical Jarmusch style dialogue.

I am still going through the supplemental material, but what I have seen so far has been excellent. I found the interview with Robby Muller to be intriguing. His work here was fantastic. He has nothing but great things to say about Jarmusch.

I'll say this much for Criterion Collection: when they do supplements, they usually do them right!

Great transfer too.