What's new

Japan's Invisible Man (1 Viewer)

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
That's just way too cool... but is it real, or just a "visualization" of something they're working on?

CharlesD

Screenwriter
Behind the guy in the picture is a camera and the image in the photo is only visible through the viewfinder of another camera. The image from the camera behind the guy is superimposed on his jacket like a "blues screen" FX shot in a movie. If you're not looking through the "blue screen" camera you just see a guy in a jacket.

KyleS

Screenwriter
I believe that I read an article about our military spending a lot of money to try and develop a suite which can help soldiers to blend in for Urban Warfar.

KyleS

Jon_Are

Senior HTF Member
From the article:

The technology could prove useful for various professions. Surgeons could use it to see through their own fingers and surgical tools during operations. Another use could be in aviation where pilots could make cockpit floors transparent.
Pshaw! I could think of a few better applications than those!!

Jon

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
The image from the camera behind the guy is superimposed on his jacket like a "blues screen"
A friend showed this to me at work today; I agree Charles here. The article is terse, poorly worded and confusing. (And they seem to suggest it could be used for camoflage as well. There was a discussion on cloaking here a while back. Here's my thoughts on cloaking.)

I believe this technology is meant to be used as a machine-vision enhancer for various tasks. For example, surgery: The surgeon would wear "luminous" gloves and view the surgery via stereo cameras. He would then see his hands, so no hand-eye coordination is lost, but he would also see the portion of the body being operated on. This way, hand location wouldn't be an impede his view of the surgery.

This sort of thing could be really useful. :)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I wonder if that's practical. A camera would be between the hands and the operation field, wouldn't it?
Yes, a camera would need to see the whole area of surgery. But there may be tricks that can ease that problem such as using small fiber-optic cameras or interpolations based on occaisional shots when hands are out of the way.

Mechanical repair is another possibility.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
That's true, Dave, but wouldn't it be too dark as well?
Oh, allright, never mind.

Cees

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks