Japanese Xbox numbers...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dave Falasco, Mar 20, 2002.

1. Dave Falasco

Dave Falasco Screenwriter

Xen Gamers has posted the following about the Japanese Xbox launch:

2. Dan Brecher

Dan Brecher Producer

Interesting... Anyone know what the the Europe/UK and Australian sales since launch last Thursday are at right now?

Dan

3. Dave Falasco

TeamXbox has an "article" that claims that the Xbox sold very well in Europe, but it is a total fluff piece that is embarassingly devoid of any actual facts or numbers. It also blames Britney Spears' rumored break-up with Justin Timberlake on his devotion to the Xbox, if that gives you any indication of the quality of reporting going on.

If I see any real numbers, I'll post them. Oh, and Britney, if you are reading, I'm very sorry things didn't work out with J, and I promise I will give up my Xbox if you would just return my calls?

4. BrianB

BrianB Producer

Rumours are of 40k boxes sold on the first day in the UK. Microsoft & certain fanboy sites are claiming that's great. Retailers/journos I know say sales dropped off considerably, with /plenty/ to go around.

Microsoft will say they matched the PS2 - the difference is that the PS2 was incredibly undersupplied with machines quickly snapped up for months after launch. There's plenty of xbox to go round.

A journo mate in Germany says it's sold next to bugger all over there.

5. Masood Ali

Masood Ali Supporting Actor

That's quite hypocritical of Britney, considering she just had a PS2 game made about her.

6. Larry Seno Jr.

Larry Seno Jr. Supporting Actor

Is anyone WORRIED? Microsoft could buy Sony AND Nintendo. It's not like they are competing with Mitsubishi or one of those government entwined conglomerates. (The name escapes me, they have a special name)

7. paul h

paul h Supporting Actor

Dont think anyone's worried nor should they be, as you say MS have bigger pockets than pretty much everyone and they're in this for the long haul. I dont ever see the XBox being the number 1 console based on sales figures BUT i think this is just the beginning, i'm sure MS have other plans for that black box once it's in enough homes.

8. Todd H

Todd H Go Dawgs!

Todd
    Microsoft buy Sony? [​IMG] Riiiiiiight..... Don't see how that is possible since Sony is worth more than Microsoft. They also employ more people than Microsoft as well. As soon as I find the numbers, I'll post them (can't remember what website I saw this info on).
    And just because Microsoft has boatloads of money doesn't necessarily mean the Xbox will be a success. You can't make a consumer buy a product. Remember Beta vs. VHS? Even though Beta was superior to VHS, it still lost. Specs mean zilch.
    And just remember...every month that Microsoft has crappy sales in Japan and Europe, Sony is selling tons of hardware there. Sony's sales aren't static. Everyday their lead over Microsoft and Nintendo gets bigger.

9. Iain Lambert

Iain Lambert Screenwriter

hey, maybe thats it - Justin wants his X-Box, but Britney insists that she is only allowed a PS2 in the house. When Fanboy Stars Attack!

or something.

Apparently, German sales are so bad that some places have already knocked a couple of Euros off the price. I just went to check Amazon.de to see if they did, but didn't get further than the top 'Lara Rennt' pun on the first page.

10. Dan Brecher

Dan Brecher Producer

Prices were indeed reduced the day after the box went on sale in some places across Europe...or so some of my European chums tell me. [​IMG]
    Dan

11. Masood Ali

Masood Ali Supporting Actor

It was selling for 399 Euros at some German outlet.

12. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

Even with MS as filthy rich as it is, they will not just keep pursuing this console gaming thing until they die. They have a lot of money, but only a part of that goes into the X-Box. They still need to keep their computer stuff afloat, along with their services like MSN, hotmail, etc. Not all of their money, nor anywhere near half of it, would be spent on just gaming.

13. Scott L

Scott L Producer

14. Larry Seno Jr.

Larry Seno Jr. Supporting Actor

That is a devaluation of Microsoft post the stock fall, as Microsoft used to be worth much more. It's not like I said Microsoft could buy Wal-Mart [​IMG]

15. Sean Oneil

Sean Oneil Supporting Actor

It's kind of funny that the owner of Microsoft is worth a multiple amount of the entire corporation.

16. MikeM

MikeM Screenwriter

17. Dave Falasco

Another near-useless article on IGN has this to say:

18. BrianB

BrianB Producer

19. Dan Brecher

Dan Brecher Producer

I think they may be pushing it on the "near sellout" comment, at least in regard to the UK. From what I can gather there are still loads to go around in many stores, and there are still loads from EB, Game and Amazon available online...

Like Brian said, the reason JSRF sales were "brisk" is because there were not that many copies available at Launch last Thursday. They under estimated demand. I know of a lot of people on a few forums who just couldn't find a copy at all at Midnight last Wednesday...

Dan

20. Iain Lambert

Iain Lambert Screenwriter

It is curious that I've not seen a single place sell out. JSRF is very scarce however - I think we're seeing a repeat of the Dreamcast Rez issue, where they (understandably) assumed they had an obscure niche title.