Japanese version of DIVX

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Andrew_K, Jun 11, 2003.

1. Andrew_K

Andrew_K Stunt Coordinator

2. Carl Johnson

Carl Johnson Cinematographer

Carl III
    It sounds like a waste of time. Why bother with a system where you buy a disc and rent an online key to play it when it's already possible to rent the whole movie pay per view style without messing with a disc?

3. Lane_S

Lane_S Agent

Oh yes - this makes lots of sense. I mean, everyone in the world who rents movies has broadband in their homes to download multiple megabytes to view each film, and will be happy rush out to buy the special equipment required.

And Friday nights when everyone is hitting the same server to view the same hit movie just released, so download time slows to a trickle - no problem. They will just laugh and say "Gosh, looks like it's going to be an hour or so before we can watch this. Who wants to play Twister?".

And when a bad data packet or a server crash means no picture or sound just as the killer is being revealed? I'll be happy to pull out my credit card for a second download. "Another hour? Hmmm - I guess we can watch regular TV until we can get back to the movie we payed for twice."

And the best part is I don't have to drive the two blocks back to Blockbuster to return the disc! That's worth a few potential headaches isn't it?

This almost makes Divx (the old one) sound like a *good* idea.

4. Dan Rudolph

Dan Rudolph Producer

I don't get it. Whay not just have consumers download the whoel movie and not bother with the disc? Unless the disc contains a significant portion of the movie, but the idea still seem silly.