What's new

Japanese: Time to recognize "upgrading" (1 Viewer)

RichardMA

Second Unit
This concept seems to have been imperceptable (or not?)

to the Japanese receiver/preamp makers for the last 40

years. Yet, North American products (higher end) often

allow for upgrades. Now, finally, Denon has realized

that maybe (due to the diminishing U.S. middle class)

a $3000 receiver shouldn't be obsoleted every 9 months.

Denon's top of the line receiver (a year ago) can actually

be partially upgraded with a $1000 board (installed by Denon service reps) so that it is "close" to the level of

the latest $4000 behemouth. This is a good sign. The

Japanese are facing reality; If you want to charge $3-$4k

for a receiver that once would have cost $1500, you have

to allow for some flexibility and longevity. Lets hope other Japanese designers/companies realize this too.

StevenK

Second Unit
Which North American products allow for upgrades that are fairly inexpensive. I know of no $1500 receiver/pre-pro by an American manufacturer that has a cheap upgrade path. Not trying to be sarcastic or rhetorical...I honestly don't know. I know the Lexicons are upgradeable but are quite expensive to start with and the upgrades themselves aren't exactly free. On the other hand, I do know the Onkyo 989 and Integra 9.1 are reasonably priced and can be upgraded to the latest formats for $50. To me, it seems the argument is reversed.

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
Now, finally, Denon has realized that maybe (due to the diminishing U.S. middle class)
a $3000 receiver shouldn't be obsoleted every 9 months.
Funny how I have a 2+ year old Denon (avr-2800) and it doesn't feel the least bit obsolete. I got my parents a 3802 recently and lets see: it has 6.1 (7.1) and DPLII. From my point of view, totally useless. Anything beyond 5.1 for a home theater is unnecessary (and I don't have room or desire for). DPLII? I haven't seen a single DVD that uses it.
It seems to me that these upgrades have hit the law of diminishing returns a while ago. OTOH, if you have money that you MUST burn on HT equipment, on the video angle, sky is the limit. There is always room for a better projector, screen, etc., etc. and in this case there really can be a huge improvement in the viewing experience. When I go and see Monsters Inc. at a top flight theater with DLP projection and I go home, I don't feel my sound leaves anything to be desired -- it is better -- no talking, no coughing, no crunching popcorn.
The video is a totally different story -- the DLP projection is incredible -- my 16:9 CRT can't touch it. Granted the source is higher res. than DVD, but with that kind of quality projector and a top flight video processor, even a lowly DVD is going to look amazing.
So whether the receiver upgrade costs $1000 or $4000, don't do it -- put the money in your DLP fund...
YMMV, but MM won't V :)
Ted

James Bergeron

Supporting Actor
DPLII? I haven't seen a single DVD that uses it.
ZAH? That's because it's Dolby Prologic II, it's an enhancement for VHS TV and other NON Doldby DIGITAL formats not for DVD at all!

Is it worth the extra cash to me? Nope! I use the DSP mode on my denon that simulates 5.1 with Pro Logic encodings and I'm happy.

Brandon_T

Screenwriter
Sony has offered several upgrades for the Tae 9000 and 777es at very reasonable prices. And the 9000 was a great pre/pro at only $1800 retail. They continue to support that product, and it is over 2 years old. I have a friend who has an Anthem AVM2, while a great product, is still waiting on several upgrades, and now it seems, they have really forgotten about the promises of the AVM2. Just my thoughts

Brandon

Brandon B

Second Unit
If you had been to Japan, this would make more sense to you. I just spent 2 years there. Recycling, reusing, upgrading are concepts only just now making serious headway in their culture.

If you think consumer electronics have a short shelf life here, the turnover there would spin your head. Even older houses tend to be torn down for modern ones. It is the property that appreciates over there. Houses tend to lose value.

BB

VinhT

Second Unit
Obsolescence within 9 months? Even computers don't age that quickly! Just what are the new must-have features that arrive every year? For home theater, the standards are Dolby Digital and DTS (and their rear center channel derivatives), and there doesn't seem to be another sound format that will be added anytime soon. Prologic II is the biggest upgrade these days, but it's primarily for stereo applications, not home theater.

As for upgrading receivers, personally I don't really see the need. The home theater industry seems to be relatively stable and formats stick around long enough that I wouldn't mind shelling out for a completely new one when the time comes.

Vinh

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
Hmmm... Last I heard, Dolby Pro Logic II was the perfect deprocessing format for DVDs only encoded with a 2.0 soundtrack...

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
Hmmm... Last I heard, Dolby Pro Logic II was the perfect deprocessing format for DVDs only encoded with a 2.0 soundtrack...
Aren't all those DVDs encoded for Dolby Pro Logic I though? How does DPL II enhance the listening experience for them?

Ted

keir

Stunt Coordinator
pro logic and pro logic 2 are not encoded on a disk. they are sound formats that the processor creates from a stereo signal on the fly. if you are playing 2 channel stereo signal from a dvd or from tv or music then you can enable pro logic or pro logic two. it puts sounds that are equal on left and right speakers onto the center speaker, and sounds that are out of phase into a surround channel. DPLII is more advanced because it can create a full 5.1 signal from stereo instead of pro logic's single surround channel. also DPLII is supposed to sound more convincing and better than pro logic.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks