What's new

Japanese Laserdiscs/VHS - what's rare & valuable? (1 Viewer)

Lars Vermundsberget

Supporting Actor
The Japanese subtitles during the songs is no problem for me (I've got that Japanese SotS LD) - I suspect the HK one without frequently got higher prices because some people making VHS copies for sale figured that would be an easier sell.

If I were going to Japan I'd look for the LDs of Disney's Melody Time and Tarzan - and Make Mine Music if it weren't for the fact that I've already got it.

ChristopherDAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
AE5VI
Honestly, though, buying up old video products in the hope of selling them into the collector's market on your return is a good way to tie up a lot of money in bulky, immovable stock. A much better idea would be to set up as an exporter: if you know people who want such things, take wishlists and hunt for the specific items. That's a guaranteed market.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Not quite a large volume item, but the Japanese DTS discs are excellent products and usually can be auctioned/sold pretty readily though I'm not sure of the overall margin you might be able to get. "Ransom" is an interesting disc in that it is the only feature film released as a Japanese DTS and never as a US release. As best as I can tell there were only 27 titles ever released if you include the DTS Surround Demo disc.

I have occasionally thought of collecting those sets just so I could say I had a truly complete set of DTS LD's though supposedly the Japanese discs aren't appreciably different overall except for the OBI and substantially better jacket material -- which wouldn't be hard given the US jackets tendency to rip at the seams.

Mattias_ka

Supporting Actor
The problem is that the market is so un-regular. One week, a Holy mountain LD can go for 120$, the next it can not be sold for 30$ (I know, have one extra).

So the best is to get movies for oneself.

alan halvorson

Senior HTF Member

Really? I haven't been paying attention recently. This used to go for upwards of $1000 - I saw one go for $1250 once. I don't know that I'd buy it right now even if I could get it for $100.

If anyone is looking for the Japanese LD of Song of the South, be aware that there were two releases. The first had an analog only track and the second (most common) included a digital track. You can tell them apart by the jacket.

Ralph Jenkins

Stunt Coordinator
Jerome, I think you're referring to the English dubbed version of Akira that was released in the U.S. The Japanese voice actors have never changed.

If you like the old dub, and would like to ditch your VHS, the Criterion LDs contain the old dub.

Kelly Grannell

Second Unit

I own the Japanese Madonna Who's That Girl - A Mitsubishi Special LD. What's the difference between that one and the US version (is there actually a US version of that LD?)

ChristopherDAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
AE5VI
According to LDDb, there are two Japanese LD releases of "Who's That Girl -- Mitsubishi Special", both on Warner Reprise. The only difference appears to be that 08WL-35 was originally priced at 7800 Yen, and 45P6-9017 was priced at JPY 4500. There doesn't seem to have been a US release, although it might have been put out under another title, as was "Sex Rape" ["A Certain Sacrifice"].

Actually, most of the Madonna music LDs seem to have been either Japan-only, or Japan plus one or more PAL editions.

A very useful resource, the LaserDisc Database.

MikeBear

Auditioning
Gunhed and Amazons and Supermen usually go for $50 on up on ebay. And Gunhed is an interesting flick to boot - can't say anything about Amazons and Supermen though - looks like a typical later day Italian sword and sandal job.

Vegas 1

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Alvin Kuenster
I have a one sided laser from Japan of the Dave Clark Five, I have not seen another. Also have Star Trek Insurrection/w obi which has excellent video for laser but not as good as the current dvd though.
Regards all
Al

MikeBear

Auditioning
The Gunhed DVD seems to be somewhat problematic - so the laser could well hold its value if people check out the dvd.

http://www.hkactionfilms.com/ADV.htm

Another laserdisc that might be worth a bit is "Thunder Run" - definitely a cult movie and pretty rare - I have never seen a copy show up on ebay.

Chris Minogue

Stunt Coordinator
The TWIN PEAKS VISUAL SOUNDTRACK usually goes for $100 or more. I haven't seen a copy on ebay for ages, so you might be able to get more for it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks