What's new

Japanese Horror Flic: Audition (1 Viewer)

Mark McAlister

Stunt Coordinator
A friend of mine told me this was a great movie. I was just wondering if any of you might of seen it and was wondering about your opinions. Do any of you know if it is available at Best Buy?

Julie K

Screenwriter
Yes, I enjoyed Audition (for a rather different value of "enjoy" than what's applied to most movies). Stick with it at the beginning because it's a very different film than what it first appears.

I did get mine at Best Buy and I'm a bit surprised they had it.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Shhhh... Don't tell people that it's a horror movie as opposed to a romantic comedy. Watching people who don't know what to expect completely freak is half the fun. :)

Clay H

Auditioning
Yep, it's a fun ride. Be warned though... if you enjoy it, you may find yourself seeking out other Miike films... then the next thing you know your girlfriend won't watch movies with you any more. :)
I still think that Audition stands up the best of all his films I've seen so far. And IMO, the disk and subs are terrific.

StephenC

Stunt Coordinator
Was the third act in the film a dream(nightmare) or reality?I became really confused at the end.

Jim Peavy

Supporting Actor
Noticed my local Block Buster has this (on DVD) and have heard enough about it that I'll be checking it out. Have no real idea what to expect, 'cept it's a horror film of sorts. Glad to hear the DVD looks good!

Have 3 more rentals to go on my LORD OF THE RINGS DVD/10 rentals for $25 deal, and this will be one of them.

Jordan_E

Senior HTF Member
Is the unrated version vastly different than the R version? I rented the R without knowing of an unrated edition, which I may pick up as sometimes the difference between the two ratings is incredible, see RE ANIMATOR as an example.

Chris Xolotl

Second Unit
Blockbuster only carries the R-Rated version. I strongly recommend you NOT watch it this way.

However, if you don't want to buy or borrow, then it's still worth a watch. It starts off slow... so stick with it, the payoff is well worth (at least one) a watch.

Justin_S

Senior HTF Member
AUDITION is a spectacular horror film, and is truly touching, disturbing, and nightmarish! There are some pretty damn creepy scenes as well, and this film is one of my favorites! The film was disturbing, but what disturbed me the most was the poor cute little Beagle's fate
. Superb film, and I did get the DVD at Best Buy.

Jim Moore

Agent

I really don't want to see the R-rated cut but at least they have SOME version of it. Once again, Netflix has disappointed me in their selection by not stocking this film at all.

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins
Although I would never want to own the R-version, the difference between the two is minimal. It only amounts to about 20 seconds.

Jeff

Bruce Hedtke

Senior HTF Member
I didn't really like it. The ending was set up pretty clumsily and it wasn't convincing at all. Or maybe I'm just jaded and didn't find what happened to be shocking at all. :frowning:
Bruce

Carlo

Grip
I heard a lot about this movie and checked it out when I saw it at the local Blockbuster. It was quite disturbing. I also got confused with certain scenes, but it all settles in a while.

Another thing, I think there were some parts that had some poor editing. This was very obvious in the restaurant scene. You can actually see the cars disappear in the background while the conversation is going.

Tom Oh

Second Unit
My sisters and sister-in-law screamed at me for recommending this film. They liked the first 2/3, but could not sit through to the end. They bolted out of the room! My brother, however, was pleased and thanked me. Personally, I liked it. Choose your audience wisely.

Scott Leopold

Supporting Actor
I purchased this blind, based on some good reviews, and was quite glad I did. After it was over, I felt like I'd been smacked in the face with dead, wet carp. I'm now quite interested to see Miike's film The Happiness of the Katakuris. As far as I know, it's not been released on DVD yet. Some of his other films sound like they might be a bit too over-the-top, but THOTK sounds rather amusing. It's been described as a cross between The Sound of Music and Evil Dead.

Julie K

Screenwriter
Yes, I really want to see Happiness of the Katakuris. It sounds so wonderfully bizarre. Here's hoping it makes it to DVD soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks