Japanese Film 101 Article on Washington Post

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Pascal A, Aug 16, 2002.

1. Pascal A

Pascal A Second Unit

The Washington Post has a Japanese film article in the Weekend Section called Tokyo Stories that is a pretty good introductory overview of the history and evolution of Japanese film.
    Interestingly enough though, under modern Japanese cinema, Kiyoshi Kurosawa and Shinji Iwai are not mentioned, probably because their films have not really been shown in the DC area.
    I have to admit though that I'm troubled by this quote in the Japanese Cinema Today section.

2. Edwin Pereyra

Edwin Pereyra Producer

For a brief historical perspective, the article is a good read. Although I did find it odd that an article about Japanese cinema - its history and where it currently stands, would not even mention Hayao Miyazaki and his contributions in this area.

Maybe, it was hinted under these words:

3. Pascal A

Pascal A Second Unit

Good point, Edwin. Their modern Japanese cinema definitely could use some beefing up with only three filmmakers mentioned and seem to pigeonhole all contemporary films as horror, yakuza, or domestic drama (Takeshi Miike, Takeshi Kitano, and Hirokazu Kore-eda).

The "golden age" article though is pretty good. Even though not all the filmmakers are covered (which is expected), at least their genres are.