Japanese Animation

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Stephane, May 28, 2003.

1. Stephane

Stephane Stunt Coordinator

Has any seen or heard anything about this title being released to DVD?

The movie is called "Ghost in the Shell".

Thank you for the replies in advance.

Stephane

2. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

Ghost in the Shell has been on DVD almost since its inception. Should be easy to find

3. Matt<>Broon

Matt<>Broon Stunt Coordinator

Are you thinking of the recent TV series (only aired in Japan AFAIK) or the 1997 film?

The film is definitely out on DVD (try www.rightstuf.com) and I would imagine the TV series Ghost in the Shell : Stand Alone Complex is due out some time in the not too distant future.

Edit : Blast, Beaten to it by Jeff. If you need more info then I suggest a quick search for the 'Novice Anime Discussion' thread which is never far from the top page and www.animeondvd.com for reviews etc.

4. Stephane

Stephane Stunt Coordinator

Hmm Could not find it on IMDB to get more info on it. But I will look at my local future shop once more. Could not find it there either.

Thank you for the info.

Stephane

I knew that I would get an answer of this. That is why I like this forum.

5. Woo Jae

Woo Jae Screenwriter

Stephane:

You can try such popular online anime stores such as www.rightstuf.com. Or even www.animecornerstore.com (they are a bit pricey but they do offer great well packaged goods, great communication and service).

Please check out the Novice Anime Thread http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...=&pagenumber=1 on this forum for more entertaining suggestions.

My advice? Try the movies first, then delve into OAVs (Original Animated Video - Straight to Video release) and TV series...

6. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

great movie ... one of my faves! [​IMG]

did anyone mention www.deepdiscountdvd.com? i've had good luck with them.

or you can use an online search engine like www.dvdpricesearch.com - then find the best deal.

do you have a best buy in your area? i know for sure that they carry it.

7. Elvie

Elvie Stunt Coordinator

Future Shop stores are notorious for carrying only a few anime titles, and then only 1 or 2 copies at most. They did have lots of copies of things like Princess Mononoke and Spirited Away when it was first released. Now, they usually only have 1,2 or 3 copies in each store.

That said ... if your local FS store gives you grief, they do have it in their online store Ghost in the Shell. A Canadian online store that also carries it, is CNL.com . However, it is cheaper from Amazon.ca GITS if you're going to order it online.

Just a couple of suggestions :)

8. ChrisV

ChrisV Second Unit

In Canada, try A&B Sound, that's where I got mine. Approximately $21

9. Dan Rudolph

Dan Rudolph Producer

Ghost in the Shell was the first DVD I ever bought. (Though technically, A Bug's Life came with my player and I may have bougth Chasing Amy earlier. I purchased them within a few days of each other, at any rate.) It's highly recommended to any fan of action movies

Any news on the new TV series coming to the US?

10. Jeff Kleist

Someone has the TV series, most likely Bandai. They will not be allowed to release it stateside until the series finishes release in Japan.

More than likely the guilty party who has it will stand up at Anime Expo or Otakon

11. Matt<>Broon

I imagine Jeff is right on the money with Bandai as the Japanese DVD release is being handled by Bandai Visual. Don't expect to see it on TV or anything until it's been fully run out over there.

They're up to disc 6 I believe currently.. Which means I'm about to get the second box with groovy red strips in the post!! Hurrah! I kind of hope they keep the look for the US release because I think it works so well, however since this is a definite double dip for me (no Japanese speaking friends) I wouldn't mind so much if they changed it.

The series itself is great as are the transfers, designed for widescreen and with a thumping DD5.1 soundtrack. Sadly if you're thinking of getting the R2 Japanese discs you will need to speak good Japanese. There is no english subtitling. Or subtitles in any form come to think of it. [​IMG]

Also of interest might be the fact that Production IG and Masamune Shirow are working on a new Ghost in the Shell film for a Japanese release in 2004! [​IMG]

12. Jeff Kleist

Miramax owns Ghost in the Shell 2 already FYI
    Hopefully IG will make them release it properly

13. Matt<>Broon

14. Tony-B

Tony-B Producer

15. Jeff Kleist

No Tony, I mean OSL at all and uncut. Miramax habitually dub-only's Asian films and butchers them

16. Matt<>Broon

I'm a relative newcomer to the world of Anime but thanks to my long standing experience with HK action films and similar the name Mirimax doesn't fill me with confidence Tony. [​IMG]

I can't recall a release the fockers haven't bungled completely. [​IMG]

Aaah well, maybe the region 2 will have an english subtitle track. [​IMG]

17. Rob Lutter

Rob Lutter Producer

18. Chris Beveridge

Chris Beveridge Second Unit

Eh?

Bandai has stated before that they have it. Even Production I.G. said it at one time. Quite some time ago in fact. What Bandai does not have is TV rights to it, but it's sounding like they're in the situation where their dubbed version would be used on the TV run by those who do.

19. Terry St

Terry St Second Unit