What's new

Japan PS3 launched 88,000 PS3 (1 Viewer)

Matt^Brown

Supporting Actor

My TV is a RP as well and I have been playing the 360 on it for over a year with no burn in issues. I never leave it on pause with the TV on for more then a couple of minutes but even if you did most games have a screen saver.

Nathan A

Second Unit
I'm sure, too. It just seems like an awful lot to pay for something you're just using for gaming. To be sure, though, I might bite if I didn't have an HDTV even at $600 if there were games I wanted bad enough. I just think that most people who don't have HDTVs (and don't plan on getting one relatively soon) are best off waiting if they can.

As for burn-in; I have a RPTV HDTV that I've been gaming on for the last 6 years with no burn-in. It's been (more or less) calibrated with the Avia disc; I've made sure to keep the contrast relatively low. I think it would take an uncalibrated TV and bad gaming TV habits to create burn-in (although I don't doubt that there are a few who've suffered burn-in even after taking reasonable precautions).

MarekM

Supporting Actor

there are several links in several threads with number 60.000 hd-dvd (and looking for 100.000 before end of the year) few weeks ago.....

I am sorry, but I don't have time to find those LINKS .....

Marek

Cory S.

Supporting Actor
Nathan,

You make an interesting counterpoint to my post. To be honest, I've never early adopted anything, when it comes to technology. And apart of me still really wants to wait. And if I don't get one on Friday, then my choice will be made for me, which is okay. But, I at least want to try and see what's what on Friday.

Romar Armas

Second Unit

Same here except I have been playing video games on my RP (Toshiba TW40X81) for 6 years now. It has endured a lot of hours from the Sega Dreamcast to the Xbox and now the Xbox 360 with no problems.

Nathan A

Second Unit
I'm not so sure it's a good idea to compare adjusted prices when the industry has changed so much over the years. And when you knock off the most expensive modern machines, the NeoGeo, CD-i, and 3DO (which I think is fair to do since they were niche systems), the PS3's $600 is pretty expensive. I'm not saying it's not worth it, though. With the Blu-ray capability, I think it's a better buy than the XBox360 ($400 + $100 for wireless adaptor + 200 for HD-DVD add-on = $700 > $600 PS3). But it's still expensive for a gaming system.

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann
Report on possible cut of US launch number.

Of course, read what you want into these.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member

I've played plenty of XBOX games on my CRT RPTV and I haven't suffered any burn in. If the TV is set up properly I think the problem of burn in is vastly reduced. I suppose there is always some chance of it occurring but I have yet to see it on my set, either from video games or station bugs.

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann

I agree. Nonsense. The 30,000 number you posted has never been reported in any item I have read other than your post, nor even close to what anyone else is talking about.

I believe projections are 100,000 Toshs by end of year, and no idea what the count of PC based HD devices will be, other than estimate posted in news threads.

Juan C

Second Unit

Incredible, claiming one thing and its opposite in less than two hours.

I said "Two months ago Toshiba said they had sold 30,000 players."

To which you replied: "The 30,000 number you posted has never been reported in any item I have read other than your post, nor even close to what anyone else is talking about."

(Emphasis added.)

And now you claim you "read that over two months ago". Didn't you say that you had never read any item reporting that 30,000 number? What's the truth?

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann

Juan, I was talking about current items I have read, and did not think it necessary to comment on old news, so give it a rest.

And to be perfectly frank, I really did not remember the article until I looked at it again. We all don't have perfect recall.

As I stated, old news that does not take into account any sales over the last two months, including laptop, Desktop, or add-ons. And it relates to US numbers only.

Juan C

Second Unit
See? That's a much better reply. :)

As for current sales, the most widely accepted figure is around 70,000 players, as given by Robert Zohn of Value Electronics, who is in direct communication with Toshiba. This jives with the reported 70,000 Pentium 4 chips delivered by Intel and used on all set-top HD DVD players to date.

Users who are viewing this thread