What's new

Japan-bought HDTV in N. America? (1 Viewer)

Jim_T

Grip
Please take pity on a poor soul living in Japan who hasn't kept up with the breakneck pace of technological change back home! I know virtually nothing about HDTV, except that it's vastly better than regular TV and I'd really like to have one. That said, I do live in Japan and would one day like to return to North America with my TV, as I figure it will be quite an investment. So my question (finally!) is, will an HDTV (or HDTV-ready) that I buy here work with no problems back home? I realize the voltage and frequency might need adjustment, but does the fact that Japan also uses the NTSC standard guarantee a hassle-free return? And yes, before you say it, I am aware of the vast number of Japanese-made TVs there are in America - I'm just not sure if they do special ones for export only or whatever. Thanks very much in advance, and any advice on what to get (32 inch or smaller, preferably letterbox?) would be greatly appreciated, although I somehow figure all the model numbers are different over here.
Jim

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
with NTSC broadcasts, yes. With HD? Probably not
As far as I know, Japanese HD is all analog, while the US is digital. However, you could theoretically buy a set-top box.
It's a real crapshoot to be honest. My suggestion is to either call the manufacturer or a VERY knowlegeable retailer, and ask if it can support US ATSC signals
gambate!
Jeff Kleist

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Ah yes, ATSC--that's the rub. Do Japanese analogue high-def televisions scan at a rate to make them compatible with the ATSC standards?
------------------
2001-a.jpg

Jim_T

Grip
Thanks both of you for your replies. In the little Sony TV brochure I picked up, it says the TVs I'm looking at are capable of 1125i/750p/525i/525p, with 'i' being 'interlaced' and 'p' being 'progressive,' I assume (please correct me if I'm wrong). The '750p' part has a small note after it that I can't read. Are these resolutions all that are required to conform to ATSC standards? If not, would it be feasible to use a set-top box in the US and just connect it via component video connections to the TV, or would the TV require a special decoder for the signal (or is that what the box is)? I've been trying to find out about the different HDTV standards in America and Japan, but information comparing them is hard to come by. If you know of anywhere I could look, please let me know. Thanks again.
Jim

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
As far as I know, ATSC is 1080i/720p/480p, at least those are the resolutions being used in the US. Your best bet is to call the manufacturer (I'm guessing you speak Japanese, given that you're living there?) and specifically ask whether it would be compatible
Jeff Kleist

Jim_T

Grip
Thanks, Jeff. I did speak to a few manufacturers, and they basically said it was no go. Guess it's two TVs for me...
Jim

Brian-W

Screenwriter
If you are buying a Japanese HDTV set that has component or RGB inputs, AND you plan on buying a U.S. based HDTV decoder box, the answer is YES it will work.
The 1125i/750p/525i/525p all translate out to 1080i/720p/480p in "U.S." lingo. 1125i is basically the same as 1080i/1035i. In the U.S. we quote the 'visible' resolution while elsewhere it is 'total' resolution. The extra lines aren't picture information, but tracking, sync, etc.
I have an analog Hi-Vision (Japanese) LD player and decoder and it works on any U.S. HDTV set that displays 1080i (even though it is 1125i based, but 1035i visible). The opposite is true of Japanese equipment (a JVC D-VHS w/component output showing Japanese digital Hi-Vision) on a U.S. set.
You're fine as long as it has 1125i/750p/525p component or RGB inputs. The digital tuner (for Digital Hi-Vision) however will be useless as would a Japanese external decoder box.
The scan rates are the same (1125i/1080i/1035i is 33.75KHz; 750/720p is 48KHz; 525p/480p is 31.5KHz)
Good luck
-Brian

Jim_T

Grip
Brian, that's great news! Thanks for the info. Now I get to spend money on something I'll want to keep for a while, instead of for just a couple years...
Jim

Stuart C

Grip
Don't forget the power supply. I think you will find that the tranformer/power supply will be incompatible with the North American standard.

Stuart C

Grip
Just did some quick checking and I think you will find that Japan is a 100 volt, 50Hz country, vs. North America at 117 volt and 60hz. You can get a transformer to handle the 100 to 117 conversion, but, the 50hz to 60hz can be a problem.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
My friend runs a Japan-bought direct view widescreen set w/o a converter. It runs a bit hot, but it's all OK
I guess you haven't heard about DVI/HDCP or 1394/5C?

I seriously doubt we'll see this on non-PPV programming, MAYBE certain events on HBO/Showtime (concerts and such)
Jeff Kleist

Brian-W

Screenwriter
You will need a step-down transformer (about $80). Japan is on a 60Hz system, not 50Hz (that would be Europe).
As for DVI/DHCP, no point in 'living in fear' considering no television has it incorporated, and the threat of JVCs DH30000 D-VHS unit (now on sale in the U.S.) doesn't have DVI either and in fact has component video output (but to record you need 1394 capable box)
There are no guarantees with technology and forward compatibility.
-Brian

Jim_T

Grip
Actually, Japan is half 50Hz (east) and half 60Hz (west). Don't ask me why, I think it's a bit silly too. And it's all 100 volts, but buying a transformer really isn't a big deal. Now the problem is, the TVs here aren't UL (is that correct?) approved, and so technically aren't allowed to be used in N. America - or at least that's what a Sony rep said.
Jim

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks