Jane Monheit DVD-As

Discussion in 'Music' started by Felix Martinez, Feb 5, 2004.

1. Felix Martinez

Felix Martinez Screenwriter

Just letting everyone know - I rec'd the new Jane Monheit DVD-As from Silverline, and they are fantastic. Gary Lux did the 5.1 mixes, and they are very, very good. The legendary Joel Dorn produced the original recordings.

Jane's vox stylings recall a bit of Ella, Doris, a pinch of Linda, and of course, her own beautiful style. Highly recommended for jazz fans.

Cheers,

2. John Kotches

John Kotches Cinematographer

Felix,

I just got my copies in via mail order, and haven't had a chance to give them a spin.

I guess I better go put one of them in the system for some background music [​IMG]

Cheers,

3. RobBenton

RobBenton Stunt Coordinator

I am considering these so if anyone else has some comments on them i would be glad to hear!

4. Felix Martinez

Felix Martinez Screenwriter

Jane's version of "Over The Rainbow," "Waters of March," and Joni Mitchell's "A Case of You" are just about the most amazing things I've heard from a singer in some time. These are all on the "Come Dream With Me" release, but the earlier "Never Never Land" release (also on DVD-A) is also stellar. I would pick up both without hesitation.

The only very minor issue I have on the sound mixes is that a hair of low end seems to have been rolled off Jane's voice - this is appropriate when the full band is playing (her voice fits right in perfectly), but during some of the acapella intros, a teeny bit of thinness is detected. I would have automated the eq to retain the full, natural low end on her voice for these "solo" moments.

I'm a huge picker of nits - please keep this in mind! After doing my first five or six 5.1 mixes, I have an amazing amount of respect for Lux, Waldrep, Scheiner, et al. Everything changes in 5.1 - EQ, effects, everything! Instruments complement and compete for frequency and ambient space in an entirely different way than in stereo, and its been just a beautiful learning experience.

Anyway, back to Jane - fantastic stuff! First heard her work on the Les Brown: Session 55 DVD-A from DTS Entertainment and I said; "What the (expletive here)?!" To find this type of maturity, tone, and delivery in a 20-something-year-old singer when everyone wants to screech blues coloratura at full volume with finger movement embellishments to rival Eddie Van Halen's fretting hand - it's just refreshing!

Cheers,