Jan 21, 2003 Artisan releases 4 classic film incl Pursued

Discussion in 'DVD' started by oscar_merkx, Nov 18, 2002.

1. oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx Lead Actor

2. SteveGon

SteveGon Executive Producer

Thanks, Oscar. I'll have to pick up The Pursued and The Magic Christian.

3. Thomas T

Thomas T Cinematographer

Excellent news! The gaps in my John Wayne collection are slowing being filled up.

4. Paul_Nyman

Paul_Nyman Second Unit

Thought I might add something to this thread!

My daughter is three, and she picked out a DVD rental the other day from Artisan "Barbie as Rapunzel." Now I would myself love to get The Magic Christian finally on DVD! I noticed the Barbie DVD is formatted for Fullscreen and Widescreen options along with 5.1 or 2.0 audio. PLEASE the powers that be, issue Magic Christian at least in Anamorphic Widescreen even if the sound is a mono mix. I mean if Barbie fans are given a choice...should an adult be granted the same?

5. Gabe D

Gabe D Cinematographer

As I was preparing to order my copy, I noticed that The Magic Christian is listed as 1.33:1 fullscreen. Unless somebody can tell me that it's supposed to be that way, I will very sadly have to pass on this one.

6. Randy A Salas

Randy A Salas Screenwriter

I was just looking at my advance copy of The Magic Christian, and it is indeed full-screen only--a growing trend with Artisan catalog titles. The image is soft overall, but looks OK. I have no idea what the OAR of the film is, nor could I find the info on the net. Judging from the fact that virtually every scene is composed with the essential imagery in the middle horizontal portion of the screen and that there seems to be an excessive amount of headroom and footroom (is that a word?), I'm guessing that it's open matte throughout. In a quick runthrough and spot-check, I didn't notice any scenes that seemed to be cropped on the sides.

7. Jean-Michel

Jean-Michel Supporting Actor

I have a widescreen copy of The Magic Christian I taped off of Bravo long ago, back when they were actually a good channel. So 1.33:1 is almost certainly not the OAR.

8. Randy A Salas

Randy A Salas Screenwriter

9. oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx Lead Actor

found this article today on the bits today by Barrie Maxwell
    http://www.thedigitalbits.com/articl...ell041703.html where he talks about the history of Republic where he also talks about the first 4 releases
    A Lady Takes a Chance (1943, Jean Arthur and John Wayne); Flame of Barbary Coast (1945, John Wayne and Ann Dvorak); Copacabana (1947, Groucho Marx and Carmen Miranda); and Pursued (1947, Robert Mitchum and Teresa Wright).
    thanks again
    [​IMG]