Jamo Speakers

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Doug Rent, Jan 22, 2002.

1. Doug Rent

Doug Rent Auditioning

I have a chance to buy a set of Jamo A310 speakers with a powered subwoofer. I have never heard of Jamo before. Does anyone have any experience with Jamo speakers?

2. JohnSC

JohnSC Stunt Coordinator

I own Jamo speakers for my entire HT. I have D570 fronts, D5CEN centre and Surround 200 rears. Jamo's are a European speaker (Denmark). They are quite popular around the world however, this could be due to their mass marketing. Jamo caters for a wide price range. Their lower end products are fairly standard with clean sound but they do produce great speakers in the mid to high end. I rate mine very highly. In fact, purchasing them revealed the flaws in my receiver and other components prompting me to think about an upgrade to the hardware!

In summary, stick to the upper Jamo range and you have a very nice speaker.

3. matthew_rm

matthew_rm Second Unit

Jamo speakers are very popular. I don't like them to much for HT. (Have not herd them for music much, so can't comment.) However, I was testing against the klipsch Reference 3 series, and the klipsch blew them away.

Jamo speakers, to me seemed a little boring, and although they were smooth, they were more or less the same sound quality as some of the bose stuff. (bose is bad because of price/performance ratio, not overall sound)

Go and take a hard liston, before making your choice.

4. MikeH1

MikeH1 Screenwriter

I listened to some Jamos a few weeks ago for the first time. They were hooked up to a Onkyo 898 and with some 14 gauge cheap speaker wire. They were in the display room and sounded quite terrible. I commented to the guy that he should change up the speaker wire and he agreed. Why they were hooked up like this for the public to listen to is beyond me. I also found them to be extremely colored, especially the midrange. My reference disc I had brought in the vocals took on a very different tonal characteristic, it made me shudder. I thought that the $2200.00 asking price was way to much.

But what really surprised me is the $500.00 rears that they had hooked up used spring clips. My opinion is no speaker at that price range should have spring clips and I told the salesmen just that. He agreed.

The store that specializes with these Jamos here in Edmonton just opened, its called Adreneline Audio. Its run by some shady ex International Stereo (big sellers of the overpriced legal speaker scam Nuance) guys that must have got out of International to start up their own store. I don't trust the salesmen and Jamo to me just doesn't offer a great value.