Jamo DB6 Series Quality???

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by DavidPack, Oct 2, 2002.

1. DavidPack

DavidPack Auditioning

Does anyone have any experience with this set of speakers? I am trying to build a starter system for about $5,000-6,000 and the retailer I'm working with recommended these. Any comments on this series in particular, or the brand as a whole???

David

2. MikeH1

MikeH1 Screenwriter

Theres a dealer here in town I checked out a few months back. A couple of young guys that worked at International stereo that got sick of selling Nuance speakers, the biggest scam going. So these 2 opened their own store. That in itself makes me wonder about Jamo. They had a pair that were around $2200 rigged up but they were using 18 gauge speaker wire so I couldn't make a honest sound opinion.

But what I didn't like is this pair of Jamo rear speakers they had. $500.00 speakers that used spring clips. That to me is not a value.

3. Nick V

Nick V Second Unit

I checked out some Jamo speakers awhile back, and I wasn't particularly pleased with the sound or the build quality. It was the X-series, and they were using spring clips, and really Hollow sounding enclosures (when I tapped them with my knuckles). To make a long story short, for the same money, I went with the Paradigm Monitor series speakers instead.

Michael,

I think there's somthing fishy about that store that you're talking about. Their "summit" brand seems like the same scam as Nuance. They just wanted in on the money, rather than just making commission IMO.

4. MikeH1

MikeH1 Screenwriter

Nick, I was in that store (Adreneline Audio) when they first opened in the winter. I was wondering when they were going to sell a Nuance overpriced knock off and I guess now that they have been in business for a year they have Summit to do it with.

I'm going to have to go back and give these a listen and see how much of a scam it really is. I couldn't imagine being a newbie and walking into that store. One buys a nice $2-3000.00 Onkyo receiver and then matches it with $500.00 speakers that there selling for $4000.00 that sound dreadful. But before I jump to conclusions I need to go there for myself. But these clowns being from International Stereo it doesn't look to promising.

And David, as for your original question. Give them a listen. Check to see how their wired and what amp they are using. Listen to some other makes in the same price bracket. And then make a decision. Unfortenetly when I heard Jamos they sounded terrible but like I said they were using 50 cents of speaker wire to hook them up.

5. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

I have some Jamo A310’s that I picked up when I lived in Australia and used as a temporary measure. They are more-or-less ok for the price point and size, but you can certainly do better.
    These speakers fall off pretty dramatically in the lower, mid-range, but I would not expect that to be true of all of Jamo’s models. I did look
    here for the model you mention and did not find it. You may be more sucessful in your search, as I did not spend a lot of time.

6. Mike_Ch

Mike_Ch Stunt Coordinator

David,

I have listened to the better Jamo speakers, namely what is now called the D570, and I can assure you it is much better than their lower-end stuff like the X-series. I am assuming the speakers you are considering are the D830 or D860? If so, these use top-quality Seas Excel Magnesium mid/bass cones and what looks like the T25 tweeter. These are really excellent drivers, and though I have not heard the speakers, would be surprised if they did not sound good based on what looks like a solid cabinet and what I heard from the D570's. The Jamo sound was a little lacking in dynamics and "soft" to me, but of course, audition is everything, and compare the speakers to other similarly priced ones before you buy.

Cheers,
    Mike

7. Dom .M

Dom .M Auditioning

David,
    i've got what used be known as conert 8s now D830. I couldn't be happier with my purchase. These speakers keep suprising me. I run them with a pioneer 49tx with the matching center and surrounds. These are a much higher class of speaker than the x series.
    Another jamo speaker that i considered at the time was the D570. These would be the only Jamo speakers i considered buying at the time, there was much better value in other brands at the lower prices.
    I found reviews on them at audioreview.com and ecoustic .com.
    You couldn't go to wrong with these i consider it money well spent and there going to serve me for a lon while yet.
    Good luck Dom

8. Mike_Ch

Mike_Ch Stunt Coordinator

Dom,

Just curious, but did you try VAF's Signature series speakers? Same (or better) drivers, better cabinets and better build. Just wondering, cos I'm also looking at speakers in the higher-end category.

Cheers,
    Mike