Jamo at cost pricing, or PSB at retail...Advice?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by DerekF, Mar 28, 2002.

1. DerekF

DerekF Stunt Coordinator

A "friend of a friend" owns a small mom 'n' pop electronics store halfway across the country (in this case, Canada), and he has offered to get me Jamo speakers at his cost.
    Getting speakers at cost sounds like a dream come true for most--especially since markup is unbelievable on them (100% or more, usually)--but in this case, I have some concerns...
    1) I want towers for mains, and that means probably the E870 series...and I have not found a glowing review for them yet (ecoustics, google, etc.). For that matter, I have not found a glowing review for any of the low-mid Jamo speaker line.
    E870: http://www.jamospeakers.com/consumer...id=E+870&tab=2
    2) If I get them from this fellow, they're mine to keep, as the shipping costs for "across Canada" for a few hundred pounds of speakers is, well, excessive. If I don't like them, I'm pooched.
    3) I haven't had a chance to listen really critically to the PSB 5T/9C combo, but from what I have read, and seen from the specs, they would be a perfect fit for me--but I'd have to pay retail.
    So do I buy something that's a great deal, and hope I like it (it worked for the Yammie 2200 this same guy sold me), or do I bite the bullet, spend the money, and get something I'm "more likely to like"?
    Thoughts? Advice?
    Thanks!

2. EricTownsend

EricTownsend Stunt Coordinator

How did you like the Jamo's? I am looking at the 626K3 and SU631K3 in-walls. Their specs look great, but how about the sound? I am unfamiliar with Jamo, but some speak highly of them. What is your opinion?

Thank you!

Eric

3. George Martin

George Martin Stunt Coordinator

Well I own a pair of older JAMO cornet 195 towers. To me they sound pertty darn good. I will admit I have heard better but I have heard far worse. Like you can, I did get my at cost so this I will admit was my frist "high end" set of speakers.

4. RichardH

RichardH Supporting Actor

There's no where reasonably close where you could hear these speakers?
    My guess is that since you can get them at cost, they're likely to be better than most other stuff you could get at the same price. That's just my guess, though, as I know nothing about those particular speakers.
    Of course, if you got them, you would tell yourself that you really liked them because you know you couldn't send them back. And chances are, they'd be just fine.
    I guess that doesn't really help much, does it? [​IMG]

5. DerekF

DerekF Stunt Coordinator

I had forgotten about this thread! [​IMG] Here's an update:
    I decided to go with a PSB 5T/9C/1B combo (1Bs due to limited space for surrounds), instead of the Jamos.
    I couldn't find a single local place carrying the towers (Sony store has bookshelves only), and not a single review I saw raved about them. Also, the cross-counry return if I didn't like them would be very costly.
    The PSBs were available locally, sound awesome, and I ground the guy for $1500 CDN tax-in including 40' of Kimber Kable (retail is $1500 USD)....though I'm still confident he made good money...[​IMG]
    So far so good...

6. James Stierman

James Stierman Stunt Coordinator

I have the Jamo E800 surrond set and i am very pleased with them. I was also was considering the 850 and 870 but my room is quite small. They sound much better in my home setup then they did in the store. So i would recomend the Jamo's. I also sell them and have no complaints from any of my customers about them.

7. EricTownsend

EricTownsend Stunt Coordinator

That's interesting Derek, I was contemplating the exact same setup... We decided to have our home built with a basement so in-walls are less of a necessity now. I will likely go with free-standers too...

James, does your store have an "on-line" presence?

Thanks!

8. James Stierman

James Stierman Stunt Coordinator

Yes www.thegreatindoors.com. But they don't have much on the site. We can get any Jamo or Canton products and also carry Polk Audio and M&K. There are currenty only about 18 stores in the US.