What's new

Jamie Lynn Spears (16) is pregnent (1 Viewer)

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
Michelle,
Nobody is talking about the male side of the equation because he's a nobody and JL Spears is not :)

When Matt Leinart got a girl pregnant (or Tom Brady did), they were mocked for not being too bright about it as well (not the females). While I understand the sensitivity to (very real) gender bias and double standards, I don't think that is what is at play here.

She's being made fun of (a bit too unkindly by some, I agree) because she has more to lose (financially), and she has a train wreck that should have been a huge warning sign.

That said, I wish her the very best, and I hope her boyfriend has a better support structure (in terms of family members and friends with a clue) than she does.

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
The family has so much money that their 'accident' will have a much more secure and comfortable life than almost any regular persons 'planned'. Thats actually far less irresponsible in the grand scheme of parenthood.

Brian Perry

Senior HTF Member

Technically false.

Sure, once is all it takes, but the odds of getting pregnant do increase with higher frequency of intercourse. I will agree there isn't a linear correlation (four times per week doesn't make it four times as likely as once per week).

WillG

Senior HTF Member

Perhaps, but it certainly seems that society is much more overt with sexuality now, especially in teens. I personally can't help but think that this does indeed cause a rise in teen sex.

Paul Padilla

Supporting Actor
Even in the Clinton-BJs don't count era, sexually active should be taken to mean engaging in intercourse. So it's understandable that "Very..." would be taken as a comment on frequency.

I think that one would have to be veeerrry far left to ascribe to such a nebulous appraisal as "whenever you feel ready". On the other hand, for centuries "sodomy" in western culture meant any sexual position other than missionary and not used for procreation. So by that standard we would all be sluts. :) Consequences are the key, as I said earlier, and since she doesn't AFAIK have any reason to fear them in the financial realm, who is to say that she fears them in respect to the necessary maturity to raise a child? She obviously has no role models in her family to look to which is probably the biggest strike against her.

Ken Chan

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken
For the tabloids, that's certainly a bonus, but as Kirk mentioned, she is the star of her own show on Nickelodeon. The network's statement was predictably understated, but you can imagine what they might have really been thinking.

drobbins

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave
I think that the age that couples should have kids changes with cultural attitudes. Growing up in NJ in a culture of mainly "professional" careerers, it was generally the idea that couples would have children after college or high school when there was an income to support the family. Many I knew would not get pregnant because it would hurt their career, not because of morals or values. Then I moved here to KY and the lifestyle is different. Mainly rural farming and factory work. It is not that uncommon for families to start at a younger age.
I found this e-mail on the CNN website that puts things is a little different light if true: I wouldn't even consider approving my daughter living with a man outside of marriage, let alone at 16.

WillG

Senior HTF Member

You know, it's funny when I was thinking of how to phraise my posts I figured that if I just said "Sexually Active" someone could take that as meaning any number of things without actual intercorse.

Chris

Senior HTF Member

Then again, poor to middle class families rarely have their kids getting into coke binges, boob jobs, and other assorted problems at an early age (because they don't have the money to do it...)

What is the phrase.. oh yeah.. "Mo Money, Mo Problems"

Dave_Brown

Supporting Actor
To clear up the confusion with the "slut" label:

Slut Bangs anybody and everybody.
Bitch Bangs anybody and everybody, except you.

My guess, she got tired of her dolls and figured she could handle the real thing. Babies are nothing more than cute accessories to be trotted out in public and handed off to a nanny when they require real attention.

MarkMel

Senior HTF Member

I'll take a stab at this one since I was the one to call her a dumbass. I do think "slut" is uncalled for. However as a parent of two kids , if my daughter came home at 16 and pregnant or if my son got someone pregnant at that age, dumbass would only be one of many things that I would call them.

I also think that there is some chance that this may be a publicity stunt. We might hear soon that she 'miscarried'. Sounds awful I know but in this day and age of 'released' sex tapes, nothing would surprise me.

Paul Padilla

Supporting Actor
Agreed. And if you had allowed your 16 year old daughter to co-habitate with a 19 year old man, you would be the one on the receiving end of dumbass comments as Mommie Spears should be. "Slut" may or may not be warranted, but mark my words, at lest one tabloid will soon come out with a headline such as, "Casey Aldridge is not the father!!!" Whether that turns out to be true or not, someone's PR firm will find a way to get that rumor circulating.

What I'm waiting for is Nickelodeon to slam her with some sort of morals/personal conduct clause from her contract. Maybe you can't fire someone for getting pregnant, but Nick knew what family they were dealing with and I'm sure their legal department took measures.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
I did write who's Jamie Lynn Spears? but after a quick search I see its Britneys sister.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Nickelodeon will probably just run the rest of the episodes they have and then end the show and that's probably what she wants. Then she can take the Paris Hilton route of being famous for having people take pictures of her. The bigger she gets, the more you're going to see pictures of her posing on the red carpet and the stalker-azzi snapping pictures of her. Then she'll try to turn that into a career outside of Nickelodeon or a reality show.

Lucia Duran

Screenwriter
Many 16 year olds get pregnant, it just so happens that this one is famous. she isn't a slut or a whore or trailer trash because of what she did, she is just a young kid who made some stupid decisions.

While I'm sure many parents would rush to blame the mother in this situation (Lynn Spears) for lack of better parenting, many kids choose to do what they want regardless of how they are raised. I will say that Lynn's track record on parenting is a bit questionable only based on how quick she was to shove both girls into the limelight, cash in their checks and then live the good life.

My big question to momma spears is WHY ON EARTH WOULD YOU SELL YOU DAUGHTERS STORY TO A TABLOID????? You are only feeding the media fire by doing this and it doesn't really look that great for you as a parent. You should be protecting your children from this kind of firestorm instead of throwing them into it head on.

I will never understand why so many celebrities seem to head straight for the camera in crisis instead of just laying low and trying to gain some sort of perspective on their lives.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks