1. We suffered a brief outage this morning when our host noticed that HTF needed to be moved to a different server due to a hardware failure. That work is now complete. Please post in the feedback area if you have any issues.
    Dismiss Notice

James W Johnson's 1804 IB thread

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Daniel Metcalf, Jun 21, 2004.

1. Daniel Metcalf

Daniel Metcalf Stunt Coordinator

OK, James, I started it. I noticed in the HTT thread you seem to have an insatiable desire for LOUD accurate bass. How specifically does the IB compare to some of your other subs?

2. Daniel Metcalf

OK, James, I started it. I noticed in the HTT thread you seem to have an insatiable desire for LOUD accurate bass. How specifically does the IB compare to some of your other subs?

3. James W. Johnson

James W. Johnson Screenwriter

Man , you are embarassing me...I said start your own thread about your own IB!

:b

4. James W. Johnson

Man , you are embarassing me...I said start your own thread about your own IB!

:b

5. Daniel Metcalf

Well I decided on the 1804 after reading about yours, so I figured you should get the props. Actually, ThomasW should get extreme props for educating us nuts on the seemed pinnacle of sub-bass frequency reproduction. Anyway, how drastic was the EQ'ing on your setup?

6. Daniel Metcalf

Well I decided on the 1804 after reading about yours, so I figured you should get the props. Actually, ThomasW should get extreme props for educating us nuts on the seemed pinnacle of sub-bass frequency reproduction. Anyway, how drastic was the EQ'ing on your setup?

7. James W. Johnson

Ok, first off I am not EQing at this time secondly when I do EQ it will be to subtract humps , not bring up dips..I may go the other way sometime though just for fun but id need more amplification.

What is the problem with yours? Tell me more about it..how and where is it mounted , what amp are you using etc.

8. James W. Johnson

Ok, first off I am not EQing at this time secondly when I do EQ it will be to subtract humps , not bring up dips..I may go the other way sometime though just for fun but id need more amplification.

What is the problem with yours? Tell me more about it..how and where is it mounted , what amp are you using etc.

9. Daniel Metcalf

OK, right now I'm using an OEM plate amp scavenged from another sub, about 200w max with a big hump at 30hz and a rumble filter below that as it was an amplifier from a ported sub. I'm thinking about the Rythmik 350se (380w rms 4ohms). The only location that would work for me is slightly behind and to the left of the main seating. The 1804 uses my furnace room as the rear wave enclosure. I had some 3x4's laying around so I reinforced all the studs on the baffle wall and used a piece of 49"x32" MDF to tie all the studs together. The sound quality even with my modest amp is pretty incredible. The only problem, if you could call it that, is increased low frequency transmission througout the house......in fact, I was watching the end scenes from Revolutions the other day and the sub was knocking stuff off of my Wife's desk in her home office! * Note to self....NO ACTION MOVIES WHILE WIFE IS DESIGNING WEBSITES.....* Back on track now, I plan to order the amp soon and then determine if I need the BFD or not. I should probably take some pics, huh?

10. Daniel Metcalf

OK, right now I'm using an OEM plate amp scavenged from another sub, about 200w max with a big hump at 30hz and a rumble filter below that as it was an amplifier from a ported sub. I'm thinking about the Rythmik 350se (380w rms 4ohms). The only location that would work for me is slightly behind and to the left of the main seating. The 1804 uses my furnace room as the rear wave enclosure. I had some 3x4's laying around so I reinforced all the studs on the baffle wall and used a piece of 49"x32" MDF to tie all the studs together. The sound quality even with my modest amp is pretty incredible. The only problem, if you could call it that, is increased low frequency transmission througout the house......in fact, I was watching the end scenes from Revolutions the other day and the sub was knocking stuff off of my Wife's desk in her home office! * Note to self....NO ACTION MOVIES WHILE WIFE IS DESIGNING WEBSITES.....* Back on track now, I plan to order the amp soon and then determine if I need the BFD or not. I should probably take some pics, huh?

11. James W. Johnson

Yeah , take some pics. [​IMG]
    Invest in a good pro amp , you wont regret it. If your near Bellingham you are more than welcome to come over and hear what 2 1804s and a QSC 1850HD sound like. These are a near perfect combo ..the amp is a bit small if anything and it puts out 600 watts continuous watts per channel at 4 ohms.
    I'd like to add another QSC but I know I'll just ruin one of my 1804s , as things are now these 1804s will pretty much last forever.

There is no question that the BFD will enhance things and I will get mine set-up shortly...but its rather time consuming to do it right so its something that I have put off.

12. James W. Johnson

Yeah , take some pics. [​IMG]
    Invest in a good pro amp , you wont regret it. If your near Bellingham you are more than welcome to come over and hear what 2 1804s and a QSC 1850HD sound like. These are a near perfect combo ..the amp is a bit small if anything and it puts out 600 watts continuous watts per channel at 4 ohms.
    I'd like to add another QSC but I know I'll just ruin one of my 1804s , as things are now these 1804s will pretty much last forever.

There is no question that the BFD will enhance things and I will get mine set-up shortly...but its rather time consuming to do it right so its something that I have put off.

13. Daniel Metcalf

I'd love to hear it, but I live in Clarkston in the SE corner of the state, maybe next time I'm in Seattle though that'd be great. So with your subs extension, have you found ANY material with 10hz content?

14. Daniel Metcalf

I'd love to hear it, but I live in Clarkston in the SE corner of the state, maybe next time I'm in Seattle though that'd be great. So with your subs extension, have you found ANY material with 10hz content?

15. Daniel Metcalf

16. Daniel Metcalf

17. Daniel Metcalf

Whoops, that didn't work, try this .
    BTW, those pics after my sub AREN'T my theater, I can only wish!

18. Daniel Metcalf

Whoops, that didn't work, try this .
    BTW, those pics after my sub AREN'T my theater, I can only wish!